New Beyer DT250-80's
Dec 10, 2001 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

20silkcut

Head-Fier
Background : i am indebted to the upstanding people who frequent these forums. Without them i'd have probably bought some decidely dodgy cans. My main phones are HD600's which i'm extremely pleased with but i'm using HD470's at work and hence i really needed something better. The cans needed to be closed/circumaural and not canal (i have to hear the phone and colleagues yelling at me). So .......

Got my new Beyers Friday.

Mini review (Beyer DT250-80 v Senn HD600)

Comfort
Beyer's are very comfy but not as comfy as Senns. Think it's the size of my ears - girlfriend prefers the Beyers.

Build/Looks
Build : 50-50 they are both lovely headphones - built to last.
Looks : the Senns have it but the Beyers in a dull utilitarian sort of way are very nice. In fact there was a thread on here suggesting that they were ugly and hence were not in consideration for purchase????? I couldn't want prettier for my portable option.

Sound
(I am an audiophile in as much as i can appreciate the difference - but explaining it is a different matter - so bear with me)

Beyer : Out the box better than i expected. Still breaking them in (not sure i believe in the breaking in myth though) they still sound exactly the same after 20 hours listening as they did after 20 minutes.
Here's where the i can't explain bit comes in :-
They sound nice, 2nd best headphones i've heard - ain't heard many though. Less dynamic than the Senns - sound good but you just seem to be missing something right from the lower bass through to the upper treble.

Senn : Started to A/B Senns against Beyers when i first received Beyers but found that almost impossible so listened to Beyers for about 20 hours and then switched to Senns. Conclusion - no comparison. The Senns have more of everything (sound about twice as good) - they are however about twice the price (unless you live in the UK where they are only a few quid more).

Conclusion : If you want a stay at home headphone buy the Senn, if you want a portable'ish/don't annoy the co-workers headphone buy the Beyer. I would however heartily recommend buying both
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact at £99 (Richer Sounds) just buy the Senn HD600's.

I realise the sound section was a bit pathetic but i ain't into bass/lower mids/upper mids and all that gobbledy-gook, they either sound good or they don't.

Just read the post prior to submission and it sounds vaguely like the Beyers are no good. In comparison to the Senns they come off second best but they are mid-range closed headphones compared to top of the range open headphones. I am really chuffed with the Beyers and although i have reverted to the Senns for the majority of my listening (portable kit is at work and i'm on holiday - so haven't had chance to listen to Beyers in the set-up i intend for them) i still occasionally hook up the Beyers. They sound nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh almost forgot. Kit used :-
Marantz CD63 MkII KI
Mission Cyrus I (headphone jack) - yep still haven't gotten around to buying a headphone amp yet
confused.gif

PS : if any of the above offends anyone then be assured it was all IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back