New Benchmark DAC1 USB running pretty hot
Jul 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sw98

Head-Fier
I have a new DAC1 USB that is running pretty hot, even after only an hour of use. Is this normal? I understand they don't have a power off switch, they are in standby mode when not in use so they draw a small amount of power but mine seems to be running quite toasty.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 8
A dangerous question to answer, because "pretty hot" is unclear, and who wouldn't hate to be the person to reassure you everything's ok when it isn't? But then, it's probably fine :wink:

You might want to ask at the Benchmark forums.  Elias and Rory and co. are all really helpful.  I think you'll also find a thread asking the same question, which may have specifics that match yours.

I have a DAC1PRE and it seems to run pretty hot. (Crazy about it, btw, and think these things tend to be underrated 'round here).  I'm all for powering down in the summer.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 8
No problem on specifics -- I wouldn't know what kind of thermometer to use, either. I was reassured via the Benchmark forums (not my question, but just reading) to accept my own version of "pretty hot".  The device has performed flawlessly so far (it's only several months old at this point).

Edit: I just looked at the forums -- there are a couple of threads you might find relevant.  The one I was looking at was http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/forum/dac1-pre-dac1-hdr/dac1-hdr-power-question .  I also saw that Benchmark is closed July 5th.  Not that they necessarily answer forum-support questions first-day anyway.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 8
I also have a DAC1pre and read the Elias' answer about the same issue. Mind runs hot as well but other than that, everything works well. Why don't you give them a call to confirm? They are always very helpful.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
No problem on specifics -- I wouldn't know what kind of thermometer to use, either. I was reassured via the Benchmark forums (not my question, but just reading) to accept my own version of "pretty hot".  The device has performed flawlessly so far (it's only several months old at this point).

Edit: I just looked at the forums -- there are a couple of threads you might find relevant.  The one I was looking at was http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/forum/dac1-pre-dac1-hdr/dac1-hdr-power-question .  I also saw that Benchmark is closed July 5th.  Not that they necessarily answer forum-support questions first-day anyway.

I read Elias's response. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow to confirm but I'll check out other forum posts there also. Thanks for your help!

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Note: All temperatures listed are after hours of operation with volume at 75%. The DAC is plugged into a switched amp outlet.

My years old DAC1 sits above an amp where there are no breather holes with spacers holding it 1" above a 112°F surface measured using an old Fluke 65 infrared thermometer which I have compared to read 4°F low at 30°F and 2°F low at 80°F. In an ambient temperature of 80°F, my DAC1 is hottest on bottom at the rear topping 122°F. The top of the unit is hottest toward the front at 113°F. The DAC1 face plate is coolest at 108°F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back