New - Austrian Audio Hi-X65
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #181 of 283
The X65 don't need a powerful amplifier. What is missing in computers or smartphones is audio quality. Me on two Mac and an Asus, the only one with decent audio, nothing amazing is the iMac.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #183 of 283
Thomann currently has the X-65 for 299€. I couldn't resist and ordered one. It will be my first open headphone for quite some time since I'm usually a fan of closed headphones. Looking forward to them very much.
I now see that for $285 on their website! That is such an amazing price for that headphone, dare I say probably the best bang for your buck in headphones right now! I could've ordered from there but I decided to stop in at my local audio store and got it for like $390. Anything under 400 for that headphone is just absurd and it easily competes with the $1k+ cans imo

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #184 of 283
Thomann currently has the X-65 for 299€. I couldn't resist and ordered one. It will be my first open headphone for quite some time since I'm usually a fan of closed headphones. Looking forward to them very much.
I was the same. I miss the isolation a little, I'd love to compare these to the X60's. But man, they sound incredible and they're so comfortable. Without exaggeration, I've had them on since about 6pm, just listening to Tidal playlists. No heat, no fatigue whatsoever. You just can't get that with closed backs.

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #188 of 283
Hi, everyone.
One question: so, if I don't want to use EQ or in most of the cases I simply can't use it (because I'm listening to vinyl or CD), the X65 isn't such a great option.
I know many of you proud owners of the X65 love it, but it seems without eq it's not obviously better than something like a HD600 or the Avantone Planar.

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #189 of 283
Hi, everyone.
One question: so, if I don't want to use EQ or in most of the cases I simply can't use it (because I'm listening to vinyl or CD), the X65 isn't such a great option.
I know many of you proud owners of the X65 love it, but it seems without eq it's not obviously better than something like a HD600 or the Avantone Planar.
I love the X65s flat, EQ only enhances for me, rather than specifically corrects.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #190 of 283
Hi, everyone.
I dont agree, x65 is pretty linear. It has -2db in lows, and some peaks at treble also around +2db. Hd600 significantly rolloffs lowend and highs also have peak around 5k.

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #191 of 283
Hi, everyone.
I own the Avantone Planar and still love the HI-X65 without eq. The HD600 I honestly find it a little hyped. The veil I hear just ruins it for me yet it still is a good headphone. But I do feel with eq, the HI-X65 and Avantone Planar go from good headphones to potential endgame. The HI-X65 being similar to the OG Focal Clear, and I'd take it over the OG Focal Clear. And the Avantone Planar being similar to the Audeze LCD-X and I'd take it over the LCD-X. They both are great headphones and do not need eq. But EQ just makes them that much better and brings out their true potential

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #192 of 283
Still struggling with clamp... maybe this will help. Interesting headphone stand, by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_171655342.jpg
    IMG_20220120_171655342.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #194 of 283
The clamp is definitely on the light side, bordering on being a negative for them, and this comes from a glasses wearer with not what one would describe as a petite head. Perhaps some QC around that area? I really struggle to imagine anyone would find it clamps too hard.

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #195 of 283
Just bought the X65 second hand here on HeadFi. I think that the above average sense of "focus", tightness, dynamic impact and presence of this headphone also comes from the excellent channel matching (at least on bass and mid frequencies) - as measured by headphonetestlab -. The Eq points of kykr1k are spot on (thank you), I simply correct less than that, but this is just because I feel negative effects of eqing after a certain treshold, and prefer not to go heavy handed.
Seeing comments above I would have tried the Focal Clear to compare! Anyway... really a complementary headphone to my HD650 and LTS V2.
Given how it takes eq, I also think this would be an ideal headphone for solderdude to make a filter (hope he is listening).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back