New Australian Member - In-Ear Headphones Recommendations Needed
Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Machine00000

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I've been wanting to buy a pair of decent in-ear headphones for about $50 or less for a while now. I need a bit of assistance in making a decision about a pair of in-ear headphones. I'm very indecisive when it comes to just about anything, and I'd like a few different opinions to help with my decision. 
I'm from Australia, and prices are quite higher for the limited range we can get over here when compared to, say, the US. At the moment I'm looking at buying either a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-II in-ear headphones, or a pair of Klipsch Image S3. JB Hi-Fi sell them both for $55 and $50 (with postage + handling) respectively, so price is not really a deciding factor.
I'm pretty varied when it comes to my music taste as well. I'll listen to anything from metalcore/hardcore music, to soft ambient music or the crashing booms of Hans Zimmer's soundtracks. Even dance and electronic music will often be played on my iPod. 
So, in regards to this, and the headphones themselves, what do you clever people think would be the recommended pair? Thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 18
I have the original CX300. it is very close to the CX300II. The CX300 was okay when it first came out many years ago, but now there are better choices for less money. Have you checked into Audiofly IEMs? audiofly is an Australian company. Their products might be priced decently in Australia. For much less than the CX300II costs, the Sony MDR-EX210B is much better. It is only $15 on Amazon's USA site. You might be able to find it on Ebay cheap with cheap shipping to Australia.
Other better and cheaper choices than the CX300II are the Panasonic RPHJE450, and the JVC HAFX40.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I have the original CX300. it is very close to the CX300II. The CX300 was okay when it first came out many years ago, but now there are better choices for less money. Have you checked into Audiofly IEMs? audiofly is an Australian company. Their products might be priced decently in Australia. For much less than the CX300II costs, the Sony MDR-EX210B is much better. It is only $15 on Amazon's USA site. You might be able to find it on Ebay cheap with cheap shipping to Australia.
Other better and cheaper choices than the CX300II are the Panasonic RPHJE450, and the JVC HAFX40.

Thanks for this. 
In regards to Audiofly, I'm currently looking at the AF45 ($60 without a mic), but am being turned away by some of the reviews. 
From what I've read, Sony MDR-EX210B sounds like it would definitely be a good pick. Currently, the best deal I've found is $40, including postage and handling from an Australian online store (http://www.crazysales.com.au/sony-mdr-ex210b-in-ear-headphones-for-ipod-iphone-ipad-with-in-line-remote.html). 
Would you choose them over the Panasonic RPHJE450 and the JVC HAFX40?

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 18
Philips SHE 3590  is a nice in ear...good for metal

$12-15 from the good guys..

There is a plethora of cheap IEM's...just have to sort the out the good from the bad...

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Philips SHE 3590  is a nice in ear...good for metal

$12-15 from the good guys..

There is a plethora of cheap IEM's...just have to sort the out the good from the bad...

I'll have a look at those. Thanks.
I've also heard a lot of positive things about the Soundmagic E10s. Are the pair as good as people say they are?

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 18
For metal and rock...not so much....but with EQ thats an easily solved problem ....

Bass is awesome...mids are a bit forward.....highs are there but a tad recessed...but overall sound sig is nice...

That being said...these sound pretty good the way I have it set up...

Electronic music sounds great...Rap, Hip Hop all sounds excellent...

I think its all about getting the sound sig you want...

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
For metal and rock...not so much....but with EQ thats an easily solved problem ....

Bass is awesome...mids are a bit forward.....highs are there but a tad recessed...but overall sound sig is nice...

That being said...these sound pretty good the way I have it set up...

Electronic music sounds great...Rap, Hip Hop all sounds excellent...

I think its all about getting the sound sig you want...

Ok, thank you for this.
I think I'm leaning towards the SHE3590. Found it at Myer for $15, so definitely won't break the budget. 
Thanks for the advice.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 18
They are a great start....
lets us know what you think

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 18
The Panasonic RPHJE450 is the IEM I use most, as it is very ergonomic, fits extremely well, and is extremely comfortable. It is ported, so isolation isn't great. It has 12.5 mm drivers, so it has good bass slam, but not as much as the Sony MDR-EX210B with its 13.5 mm drivers. The RPHJE450 has more detail than the EX210B though, and better highs.
Overall as far as fit, comfort, sound quality, and build quality the Panasonic RPHJE450 is my top pick for IEMs under $25(that is the US price, prices elsewhere may be higher as its list price is $50).

I wonder how much the Audio Technica ATH-CKM55 costs in Australia? In the US it is as low as $35.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 18
A quick google search and they are all around $120...

Also I would recommend the Soundmagic E10's..properly EQ-ed.....over Philips..

Last night I found the sweet spot on the EQ and Cross feed....excellent combo....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back