New audiophile to be born! Please educate and enlighten me!
Sep 19, 2012 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Koosh

New Head-Fier
I'm sick and tired of having to use earbuds that lasts for no more than a year. The longest record I had was close to 2 years with my panasonic ones. But since then I've been buying Audio Techs, Sony, TDK, A-Jays, and a few others that I can't think of right now. And each of them died of the same problem..connection point at the jack gets effed up.

The most recent one that died from this "cancer" was the TDK. And I have to say it really put me wondering if earbuds are really that disposable? If the construction of the wire can't withstand movements then when can we really use them? Its really annoying.

A friend of mine referred me here and we discussed that it could be the way I use or keep them. I've stopped rolling them around my iPod since long ago. And that served no improvement since the lifespan of the different brands varies from time to time across all brands. So I'm really not sure what exactly is causing the problem. Or am I just basically cursed/jinxed from using earbuds. My headphones however lasted a reallyyy long time and I could still use them now (ATs) if I don't mind the shedding cushions. So we narrowed it down to probably the way I use them. I either just hold my iPod and let the excess hang around or I put my iPod into my jeans front pocket. Being the audiophile my friend is, he told me it could be that the jack area was moved at each of my walking step and that caused the wires inside to tear apart. (The most recent one, TDK, died when I heard the music suddenly changed.. it sounded echoey like it was played in the tunnel. And for movies/tv shows it just played the background noise and not the main character's speech.)

So here I am trying to find a solution to this. And I really hope to see some great suggestions or solutions for the matter. I'm pretty sure you guys have gone through the same as me before. And I want out of this **** cycle!

I've done some research myself..well not really since I just viewed a couple of the top links after searching "top earphones 2012". Are websites like this

http://earbuds-review.toptenreviews.com/

reliable on their reviews?

I'm thinking of looking for a pair of earbuds (in-ear) that has stiffer, more sturdy construction of the wire. On both the ends of the jack and the earbuds itself, at the connection point if you know what I mean (I hope!). Would having a case to keep my earbuds help? I'm wondering, since keeping into the case still requires you to coil it circularly before putting it in.

Looking forward to your replies! :D

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Welcome to headfi Koosh! Sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Try a good quality earbud/IEM with a custom cable. It will be expensive but worth it.

Specify the type of jack i.e. straight or right angled and you will be alright. Invest in an otterbox if you really want to.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I'm sick and tired of having to use earbuds that lasts for no more than a year. The longest record I had was close to 2 years with my panasonic ones. But since then I've been buying Audio Techs, Sony, TDK, A-Jays, and a few others that I can't think of right now. And each of them died of the same problem..connection point at the jack gets effed up.

The most recent one that died from this "cancer" was the TDK. And I have to say it really put me wondering if earbuds are really that disposable? If the construction of the wire can't withstand movements then when can we really use them? Its really annoying.

A friend of mine referred me here and we discussed that it could be the way I use or keep them. I've stopped rolling them around my iPod since long ago. And that served no improvement since the lifespan of the different brands varies from time to time across all brands. So I'm really not sure what exactly is causing the problem. Or am I just basically cursed/jinxed from using earbuds. My headphones however lasted a reallyyy long time and I could still use them now (ATs) if I don't mind the shedding cushions. So we narrowed it down to probably the way I use them. I either just hold my iPod and let the excess hang around or I put my iPod into my jeans front pocket. Being the audiophile my friend is, he told me it could be that the jack area was moved at each of my walking step and that caused the wires inside to tear apart. (The most recent one, TDK, died when I heard the music suddenly changed.. it sounded echoey like it was played in the tunnel. And for movies/tv shows it just played the background noise and not the main character's speech.)

So here I am trying to find a solution to this. And I really hope to see some great suggestions or solutions for the matter. I'm pretty sure you guys have gone through the same as me before. And I want out of this **** cycle!

I've done some research myself..well not really since I just viewed a couple of the top links after searching "top earphones 2012". Are websites like this

http://earbuds-review.toptenreviews.com/

reliable on their reviews?

I'm thinking of looking for a pair of earbuds (in-ear) that has stiffer, more sturdy construction of the wire. On both the ends of the jack and the earbuds itself, at the connection point if you know what I mean (I hope!). Would having a case to keep my earbuds help? I'm wondering, since keeping into the case still requires you to coil it circularly before putting it in.

Looking forward to your replies! :D

Don't buy earphones from retail stores! They are VERY heavily marked up and they sell very inferior items.

Bass power does not mean it is a good pair of earphones. Bass is overcompensated for low-end earphones. The mids and highs suffer.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Have you looked here? http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-257-iems-compared-hisoundaudio-wooduo-2-added-10-10-12

When I have friends who tend to be rough/break their IEMs all the times, I gift them stuff like the DUNU Hephaes. Built like a tank, and I never have to worry about them breaking again. Bought 5 last year for the holidays 
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking of looking for a pair of earbuds (in-ear) that has stiffer, more sturdy construction of the wire. On both the ends of the jack and the earbuds itself, at the connection point if you know what I mean (I hope!). 

You're looking for IEMs with sturdier strain reliefs (the proper term). Should probably buy a case for them when you're not using them as well. 3 years, and my Etys are still going strong (I've heard people that have had them for up to 10-15 years no problem), becuase I always tuck them in a case when I'm not using them. When you wrap cables, make sure to wrap them with the over-under technique. It's used for professional audio applications, and it does wonders for your cables. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcND46YrB1o, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74OEVUOKOw are good examples. 

Oops, forgot to mention, any thoughts on sound signatures that you might prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back