New audiophile seeking first pair of real headphones
Nov 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

knight121

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am looking to getting into this audiophile culture/hobby/lifestyle and am hoping to buy my first solid quality headphones. Unfortunately, as a student, my budget is limited to around $250 for headphones. In terms of music, I mostly listen to metal (mostly progressive stuff, not the hardcore death kind!), rock and classical. In terms of headphone needs, I'm looking for over-the-ear headphones, since I find the on-ear ones extremely uncomfortable and have had some good experience with over-ears (Panasonic RP-HTX7's, nothing impressive, I know!). I plan to wear them exclusively at home for use with my computer and I'm planning on also getting a Schiit Magni/Modi DAC + amp, connected with my computer, to use with these headphones and whatever future model I buy.

Now, I have done some research into headphones, but my problem is that I have no idea exactly which to go with. I was hoping some of you could guide me, based on your experiences, so that I can get the most out of my first pair. Here are some pairs I'm considering, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm really trying to get the most value I can

(Prices are those available in Canada, based on current sales)

Sennheiser HD 598 - $250 
Sennheiser HD 558 - $190 
Audio Technica ATH m-50x - $160
Shure SRH840 - $230
[Your suggestion here]

I have heard good things about the Grado headphones, but they are insanely expensive  here in Canada (and on-ear, from what I've seen) so they're definitely out of the picture!

Any help you guys could offer a newbie like me would be very much appreciated!

Thank you

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Philips Fidelio X1/X2
B34t5 Pr0 (besterest headphone on the market, besterest bargain on the market)
These are pretty cheap right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-1R-Over-the-Ear-Headphone-Black-/271665826674
Sennheiser Momentum
Sennheiser Orpheus (pretty cheap right now and great bang for the buck, check them out)
AKG 550
V-Moda M100
I could recommend a bunch of other great  headphones, but seeing how you like rock (which requires above neutral bass), I'm not going to put them here.
I probably forgot a bunch as well, I might add some in later.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 8
  Hello all,

I am looking to getting into this audiophile culture/hobby/lifestyle and am hoping to buy my first solid quality headphones. Unfortunately, as a student, my budget is limited to around $250 for headphones. In terms of music, I mostly listen to metal (mostly progressive stuff, not the hardcore death kind!), rock and classical. In terms of headphone needs, I'm looking for over-the-ear headphones, since I find the on-ear ones extremely uncomfortable and have had some good experience with over-ears (Panasonic RP-HTX7's, nothing impressive, I know!). I plan to wear them exclusively at home for use with my computer and I'm planning on also getting a Schiit Magni/Modi DAC + amp, connected with my computer, to use with these headphones and whatever future model I buy.

Now, I have done some research into headphones, but my problem is that I have no idea exactly which to go with. I was hoping some of you could guide me, based on your experiences, so that I can get the most out of my first pair. Here are some pairs I'm considering, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm really trying to get the most value I can

Sennheiser HD 598 - $250 
Sennheiser HD 558 - $190 
Shure SRH840 - $230
[Your suggestion here]

I have heard good things about the Grado headphones, but they are insanely expensive  here in Canada (and on-ear, from what I've seen) so they're definitely out of the picture!

Thank you

Hi!

If you can pick a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, then that's probably your best bet in terms of sound quality.
You could also read about Schiit Vali (for high impedance headphones) which is probably more musical than the Magni and cost only 20 dollars more.

You'll love them? That's hard to tell. There are many VERY different, good sounding headphones out there, some people love some of those and hate the others, some people like them all, you know... Finding personal preferences is a must for taking enjoyment to the next level.

Probably useful:

HD598 should be smoother/softer in the treble than DT880s but not as detailed. Also lighter on the bass.
HD598 should be much more forgiving of poorly recorded material, (most modern -non audiophile- music)
HD598 soundstage in probably a wider than DT880's.

DT990s are brighter than DT880s, very detalied on the treble but also really unforgiving of sibilance and high frequency background noise on poorly recorded music and live recordings, with DT990s if there's something on the treble you'll hear it.
DT990s have a V-shaped sound signature that is often very engaging. When properly amped, the bass is full and surrounding, its soundstage is bigger than DT880's and the midrange, while just a tad recessed have a very good sound quality.
Cellos sound very good through DT990s.

AD900x should be similar to HD598, some people prefer one, some prefer the other.

You could also read about SoundMagic HP200 which is probably something fun and good sounding like DT990s, but not as analytical and easier to drive.

There's also the top of the Fidelio line: X1 and X2.
Fidelio X1s are darkish and forgiving while X2s are apparently more balanced and really promising.

Hope this helps!

Best Luck!

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi!

If you can pick a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, then that's probably your best bet in terms of sound quality.
You could also read about Schiit Vali (for high impedance headphones) which is probably more musical than the Magni and cost only 20 dollars more.

You'll love them? That's hard to tell. There are many VERY different, good sounding headphones out there, some people love some of those and hate the others, some people like them all, you know... Finding personal preferences is a must for taking enjoyment to the next level.

Probably useful:

HD598 should be smoother/softer in the treble than DT880s but not as detailed. Also lighter on the bass.
HD598 should be much more forgiving of poorly recorded material, (most modern -non audiophile- music)
HD598 soundstage in probably a wider than DT880's.

DT990s are brighter than DT880s, very detalied on the treble but also really unforgiving of sibilance and high frequency background noise on poorly recorded music and live recordings, with DT990s if there's something on the treble you'll hear it.
DT990s have a V-shaped sound signature that is often very engaging. When properly amped, the bass is full and surrounding, its soundstage is bigger than DT880's and the midrange, while just a tad recessed have a very good sound quality.
Cellos sound very good through DT990s.

AD900x should be similar to HD598, some people prefer one, some prefer the other.

You could also read about SoundMagic HP200 which is probably something fun and good sounding like DT990s, but not as analytical and easier to drive.

There's also the top of the Fidelio line: X1 and X2.
Fidelio X1s are darkish and forgiving while X2s are apparently more balanced and really promising.

Hope this helps!

Best Luck!

Any good amp + DAC for the DT990 ? I have a 250 ohm version of it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Hello all,

Sennheiser HD 598 - $250 
Sennheiser HD 558 - $190 
Shure SRH840 - $230
[Your suggestion here]

Thank you

Some good headphone shop in Canada: http://www.headphonebar.com

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 8
Any good amp + DAC for the DT990 ? I have a 250 ohm version of it.

You could read about:
- Schiit Modi + Schiit Vali
- Audio GD NFB 15

Best Luck!

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the great advice! I looked into the DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm) and they look like a fantastic pair of headphones. Although they are usually $350 in Canada, I managed to find one retailer who is offering them for $250, which is on par with what the Sennheiser HD 598s cost here. Based on what you have said, and other reading I've done on the DT 880 Pro, I think that they are a better overall headphone for my needs than the Sennheisers. 

Also, because they seem to be relatively strong in the treble, I agree that the Schiit Vali would be a better option than the Magni, since it apparently does a bit of a better job warming up the sound, which should help push forward the lows/mids a bit! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back