New 'audiophile' overwhelmed by choices.
Feb 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Matterbound

New Head-Fier
I've gotten through my audio life by purchasing "gaming" headphones. (Razor, Logitech, etc.) I feel like I'm ready to try something more, especially since my current headphones (Logitech G90) are failing. I do not have a dedicated sound card or amplifier, and am not looking to purchase one unless absolutely needed. This is my motherboard.

I do not need a ridiculously good sounding headset, just one that sounds as good or better than my current Logitech G930. I assume this isn't hard to do, since it's mostly a gimmicky gaming headset. 

Directional audio is very important to me as well, since I will be playing a lot of PC FPS games. I know the G930 had a "fake" surround sound driver on it. Is there any way to replicate something similar with another set of headphones? Or would I need a dedicated sound card and lots of other things to do that? 

I do not care if it has any features such as a built in mic, buttons, or anything of the sort. All I am looking for is good sound quality. I will be mainly be playing video games (FPS, RPG, RTS) and listening to music. (Rock) Bass does not matter that much to me, as long as it is noticeable. I am satisfied with the sound quality of my G930, but I assume I am able to get just as good, if not better, sound quality from another headset.

I am looking for a comfortable full-sized headphone. I'm not sure if this is the right term to use, but I am comfortable with the ear pieces of the G930. I like my ears being surrounded and 'closed off' if that makes any sense. I would not like to spend more than $200, but am willing to go up to about $210-$220, but only if it's a REALLY good headset.

I hope that this community can help me out, as I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of thing.

Thanks!
Mike

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

Directional audio in games is software emulation, be it the onboard usb set on the headsets these days, or a dedicated soundcard with the software associated with it. If you want to maintain the surround emulation, you need something to do that. I would suggest getting an inexpensive soundcard with dolby headphone, like the Xonar DG or DGX ($30~40). The rest of the budget can go towards a good headphone.

Sounds like you want a neutral headphone basically. But I wasn't quite clear on whether you wanted a closed headphone or an open-back headphone, only that you wanted something circumaural or around-the-ears. But that leaves a healthy $150~180ish budget give or take for the headphone.

Suggestions:

Open:

Sony MA900
Beyer DT880 PRO (used)
AudioTechnica AD900
Hifiman HE-300 (used)
Ultrasone HFI 2400 (used)

Closed:

Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone PRO 550
Sony MDRZX700
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A900

Should get you started.

Very best,

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 3
Headset or headphone?

If headset only, I can recommend the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 for the best all in one solution. There is no challenger in sight, it is simply the best headset. I play competitive FPS on PC and have tried them all, including G36, Razers Megladon and Cacharias. Haven't gamed with the Senn 360, but my friend has one and I used it for about 5 minutes. To open for me for gaming.

That said, you can get better sound / price ratio by using a headphone paired with a desktop mic or clip on mic. The MMX 300 is around 300+ dollars, where the technically very similar DT 770 is just a bit above 150. A clip on mic is under 20.

The "OMG best" headphone for gaming in quiet surroundings would be a nice STAX setup. It would simply be a sound wall hack. :) Unfortunately don't have that type of cash available right now. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back