New audiophile, looking for desktop amp system
Jan 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

3870x2

New Head-Fier
 Title is terrible, and misleading, and I am probably posting in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance for this.  Many of you might remember me as a long-time TPU member, so Hi!

Anyway, as a computer guy who lives in a town without a Fry's or Microcenter, I like to browse Best Buy sometimes.  As I wondered into the back where the audio equipment resides, I came upon some of the most glorious looking tube-amplifier stereo systems.  The sound on these were profound, with warm tones and no distortion even on high volumes.  These boxes were terribly expensive, going all the way up to a thousand dollars, sometimes more.

My question to Head-Fi and it's denizens is where should I go shopping for a small tube-amp system that I can sit on my desk at work.  I would like the system to be between $50 and $175 (entry level), be fairly small in size (though size is not a priority) and have an aux 3.5mm (the more input types the better).  I would like the system to both be an amp and its own output (speakers), and although it probably is out of my price range, an optional amplified headphone out would be great.  I am also very comfortable buying second-hand.

Thank you everyone in advance for your time!

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, I guess the budget was what I would have been willing to pay.  What I can pay is probably up to $300.

Remember that this doesn't have to be a large system.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 9

Tube-driven anything is going to cost a premium, its a niche. Trying to do it on a budget is going in with the wrong mindset, you'd be better off with a nice solid state amp. A mid-end SS unit will sound better than a low-end Tube unit.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Well, I guess the budget was what I would have been willing to pay.  What I can pay is probably up to $300.

Hmm, this thread might give you a heads up. Read through and you'll notice other people mentioning other budget tube amps as comparisons.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread

Very best.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 9
Greyson talks sense

no point buying a cheap valve amp, just problems and poor sound.

have a look at something like the Audioengine D1, I assume your source is a PC ?

if not....

what is your source? and speakers?, impossible to answer properly without that really.

I wouldn't worry about it having a 3.5mm input, you can adapt that.

If you have analogue only sources then I'd look at the Denon compact all in ones 
like this Denon RCD-M39
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-RCD-M39DAB-Component-Receiver-System/dp/B008JCIKQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357919918&sr=1-1

I have a 10 year old Denon Dm31 in my kitchen, takes serious abuse and never complains, killer build quality for the money

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 9
As others have said, tube amplifiers are something one must prepare for. If you want a "budget" tube hybrid, consider the HiFiMAN EF2A amplifier (use an external DAC solution). It's a notable system and has proven worth it when paired correctly with the "right" headphone. I currently use it in my current headphone setup with the NOS Mullard CV4010 tubes.

Destroysall.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Move to Columbus, Ohio and bask in the glory of vinyl heaven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back