New audiophile here!
Jun 15, 2009 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JongTong

New Head-Fier
Hey guys i just recently discovered how to listen to music just to give you a little insite on who i am i work for best buy in the iPod department. ive been selling all of these different ear phones and ill tell you a couple that i have tried.
the list will go from first to most recent.
iPod earphones-horrible
Skullcandy smokin buds-just couldnt get them to sound the way i wanted
Sony MDREX56LP-sound great but was just missing something
Sony MDREX85LP-sounded awesome but the next ones came in a week later
Sony MDREX300LP-these sounded the best but when i started listening to these the headphone bug bit and i wanted more so i moved on to the next
Monster Beats by Dr Dre Tour-sounded great but the mids were a little muddy great highs and great bass. i returned them because i wanted to try the next ones and if i didnt like them i would go back to the beats
Shure SE 210-clarity on these are freaking amazing but the bass is a little less than i would like but the highs and mids almost make up for it. i also have to give them time to break in.

Now i am thinking of getting the Shure SE 310s because of the bass. i was just curious of what you guys thought and any comments of what i have gone though would be great.
o2smile.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 14
One word of general advice (& of course welcome to Head Fi) :

When you've found a sound signature & 'phone that you like, buy it then run. Very fast. Away. Because otherwise your wallet will be eventually, in about, oh, eight weeks or so, but a husk of its former shiny plump little self.

The Head Fi effect. It's real y'know
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 14
Well, to really make any recommendations for you I think that you would have to list both your budget as well as your musical tastes, whether you want full size cans, canal phones, IEM's, and what sort of sound signature you prefer.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 14
i really like the in ear canal. whats great is that i work at best buy so im getting a discount on this stuff and if i dont like them i just return them and have that money applied towards the next pair the shure se310s will cost me about 50 bucks more eventually ill move over to the cans. as far as sound signature i like really crisp highs and mids and noticable bass but not overwhelming. i found the beats by dr dre were a little on the heavy side.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 14
...see, it's starting....

biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 14
Do you have access to the Shure SE530? I ask because that is the premiere Shure IEM, short of going custom. I prefer the Westone UM3X and the UE Triple Fi 10 Pro, but lots of people rave about the SE530. If you're sold on the Shure sound, this may be the last IEM you ever need.

On a related note, if you're finding the bass to be wanting, nine times out of ten, you have a defective fit. Fix the fit and you'll usually fix the bass. Every problematic IEM I've tested, including the Er4p, has improved radically by making sure the seal was real. Be proactive with the tips. Comply foamies are disgusting but extremely effective. I'm not averse to buying earplugs and boring holes in them to make sure my headphones are maching to "be all you that can you can be."

Welcome to HeadFi and beware. You've been given good advice about the dangers to your wallet. This place is like a 12-Step Group gone wrong. It's like an AA group that meets at a bar. It's like a group of sex addicts, half of whose members are pregnant and the other half served with paternity suits - by the other half.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Yeah, if you can get your hands on the Shure SE530's and you know you like the Shure sound signature, that could be a very wise choice to make for yourself as the guy above me stated.

I've got the Shure SE530's and I like them quite a lot but I also like to switch around with headphones to get different sound signatures and see what I might have missed from another headphone that I'll hear in the next one.

I've already been hit by Head-Fi-Itis full force and my wallet has nothing but a ten and two ones left. =[

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 14
yeah i have access to the se530s but i dont know how much i can get them for. i checked today and i can get the se310s for 131 bucks so i imagine that i can get those for a couple of hundred bucks

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JongTong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys i just recently discovered how to listen to music just to give you a little insite on who i am i work for best buy in the iPod department. ive been selling all of these different ear phones and ill tell you a couple that i have tried.
the list will go from first to most recent.
iPod earphones-horrible
Skullcandy smokin buds-just couldnt get them to sound the way i wanted
Sony MDREX56LP-sound great but was just missing something
Sony MDREX85LP-sounded awesome but the next ones came in a week later
Sony MDREX300LP-these sounded the best but when i started listening to these the headphone bug bit and i wanted more so i moved on to the next
Monster Beats by Dr Dre Tour-sounded great but the mids were a little muddy great highs and great bass. i returned them because i wanted to try the next ones and if i didnt like them i would go back to the beats
Shure SE 210-clarity on these are freaking amazing but the bass is a little less than i would like but the highs and mids almost make up for it. i also have to give them time to break in.

Now i am thinking of getting the Shure SE 310s because of the bass. i was just curious of what you guys thought and any comments of what i have gone though would be great.
o2smile.gif

You can always kill your wallet now and order some JH-13s.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 14
i just looked at those i online those things are great. where can i find info on what to look for in good headphones. the reason why i ask is because i know that the ue11s and js13s are superior but why. because some of the numbers are similar to lower end headphones. be kind im just starting out. thanks

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One word of general advice (& of course welcome to Head Fi) :

When you've found a sound signature & 'phone that you like, buy it then run. Very fast. Away. Because otherwise your wallet will be eventually, in about, oh, eight weeks or so, but a husk of its former shiny plump little self.

The Head Fi effect. It's real y'know
wink.gif

So true
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif

gt a se310 on feb,decided to upgrade it to 530 on june.goodness...and akg..oh my..

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JongTong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just looked at those i online those things are great. where can i find info on what to look for in good headphones. the reason why i ask is because i know that the ue11s and js13s are superior but why. because some of the numbers are similar to lower end headphones. be kind im just starting out. thanks

Numbers really don't mean much. Some headphones claim frequency responses such as 10hz-25000khz, which you cannot hear anyway. Sound has much more to do with the design of a particular headphone than the specifications.

A better way to understand headphones is to read the forums here, do some critical listening. Perhaps buy a few low-end pairs to see what you like to hear, and ask around if you can't find an explanation for something.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 14
I had to laugh when I read the title of this thread. A "new audiophile" is an oxymoron, IMO. The entrance to the realm of audiophilia through the ipod is the tell-tale giveaway!!

I'm not saying any of this with a malicious tone. I wonder if newbs realize that it's not a good idea to leap head first into this world. Not only is critical listening a learned ability, but it's easy to over-invest relative to your actual interest level. See the "customs can be overrated thread" for further comments on this topic.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #14 of 14
I strongly recommend you to AB some low and high end IEMs (such as between various Shure models) and see if you can tell any difference in soundstage, refinements and level of details aside from general sound signature (such as bass quantity etc.).

AFIK, many people can tell how much bass they are hearing, but could not distinguish it qualitatively.

So if you are one of them you could well save some money for now and go with a lower end model that suit your taste, and consider an upgrade once your ears get trained more for critical listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back