New Audiophile- Have a Few Questions
Jan 11, 2015 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ryan0291

New Head-Fier
Hi all! I am a huge music fan. I wear headphones for probably 90% of the time I am awake and not in class. I figure it's probably about time I invest in nicer equipment to enjoy something I partake in the majority of my waking hours. I have very little overall knowledge when it comes to audio equipment aside from a few basic things. So this brings me here! I have a few questions that I would be very appreciative of any help given. 

1. Which headphones would suit me well? I primarily listen to heavy metal and hard rock music. I never listen to rap/hip hop/techno/etc. So more treble heavy? With that said, I have searched around online and have narrowed my search to the Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO 250 ohm headphones. Would this in fact be a suitable first pair of high end headphones for my needs? 

2. How much noise will escape a pair of open back headphones, such as the DT 880's I just mentioned? As far as I understand, open back headphones offer a superior sound stage which I would love to experience, however I will be returning to college in the fall and will have a roommate who I don't want to disturb. I don't want to invest a lot of money into something only to not be able to use it while I am at school. If the amount of noise that will escape is a lot I would love to get some advice on an alternative to the DT 880 that might work for me.

3. Assuming the DT 880's will fit my needs, which DAC/amp combo (sub ~$150) would be a good choice in order to power these headphones? I would need this to use with my desktop PC. I don't care either way if it's a two in one combo or a pair of separate components. The two in one would be more convenient, however if there is a better option I am more than happy to go with that. 

Thank you very much for any help provided. I am very eager to finally enjoy the music I like the way it was meant to be heard. My overall budget for a pair of headphones and an DAC/amp is $400 or less. I found the DT 880's for $230 shipped through a highly rated ebay seller. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 19
Hi,

I am also new to audiophile headphones, although I have had some decent ones over the years. I decided on buying the very similar DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm instead, as these were considerably cheaper at just over $170 on Amazon. From what I have read, the main differences are that the DT 990 Pro have a bit more bass than the more neutral DT 880 Pro, and that the materials are a bit more plastic and less metal (although still very solidly built. Although I did not have a specific budget, the lower price gives a bit more room in the budget for the DAC and amp. I decided to go with the Schiit Modi-2 ($99) and Vali ($119). By pure coincidence, this combination comes in at just under $400 for headphones, DAC, and amp. At this stage, I have received the DT 990 Pro and I am very happy with them, although my Macbook is only just able to drive them. The package from Schiit should be delivered within the next couple of days, so I cannot tell you yet how it all sounds together.

Depending on your existing sound sources, I would also consider the DT 880 Premium 32 Ohm. They come in at around $300, but have the advantage that they are so easy to drive that they do not require an amp. So if you already have a sound source that provides good quality output, but is not able to properly drive 250 Ohm headphones, I would at least consider the 32 Ohm version. This is especially true if you ever want to use your good quality headphones with mobile devices. My personal reason for not taking the 32 Ohm route is that my main sound source at home is a PC with no dedicated sound card. I thus really needed a DAC and amp. Also, I already have more portable low impedance headphones that I use for mobile devices.

When it comes to buying DAC and amp, I am as new to it as you. So I would listen more to the recommendations from more experienced members rather than choosing what I happened to choose.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 19
lol I wont consider DT880 nor DT990 as "high-end"

I would consider that as Mid-Fi more than High-Fi because there is a long way to go (giving you courage to spent more $$$ on the headphone if you spent more than 90% of the day listening to the music)

Get a Stax/Abyss/HD800/ T1/ Fortex...................

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 19
  Hi,

I am also new to audiophile headphones, although I have had some decent ones over the years. I decided on buying the very similar DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm instead, as these were considerably cheaper at just over $170 on Amazon. From what I have read, the main differences are that the DT 990 Pro have a bit more bass than the more neutral DT 880 Pro, and that the materials are a bit more plastic and less metal (although still very solidly built. Although I did not have a specific budget, the lower price gives a bit more room in the budget for the DAC and amp. I decided to go with the Schiit Modi-2 ($99) and Vali ($119). By pure coincidence, this combination comes in at just under $400 for headphones, DAC, and amp. At this stage, I have received the DT 990 Pro and I am very happy with them, although my Macbook is only just able to drive them. The package from Schiit should be delivered within the next couple of days, so I cannot tell you yet how it all sounds together.

Depending on your existing sound sources, I would also consider the DT 880 Premium 32 Ohm. They come in at around $300, but have the advantage that they are so easy to drive that they do not require an amp. So if you already have a sound source that provides good quality output, but is not able to properly drive 250 Ohm headphones, I would at least consider the 32 Ohm version. This is especially true if you ever want to use your good quality headphones with mobile devices. My personal reason for not taking the 32 Ohm route is that my main sound source at home is a PC with no dedicated sound card. I thus really needed a DAC and amp. Also, I already have more portable low impedance headphones that I use for mobile devices.

When it comes to buying DAC and amp, I am as new to it as you. So I would listen more to the recommendations from more experienced members rather than choosing what I happened to choose.

DT990 don't only extend on the bass, but also the treble, that is why some people called it "V-sound signature" or "recess mid"

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 19
I've read people with same music preference as you say that DT880 is boring to their taste, and they all said they found DT990 to be much better for those genres. However they are open so if you are gonna use them in public and in a dorm I would go for a closed can. If you want a closed can I can recommend DT770.

Also check out:

C5 JSD Labs (amp)
FiiO e07k (amp/dac)
FiiO e10k (amp/dac)

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 19
  Hi,

I've heard several negative reviews on the bass on the DT 990's. That steered me away from those. I actually like the idea of a more neutral sounding pair of headphones so I think the DT 880's still might work for me. Also, I've heard bad reviews on the 32 ohm version. I found an amp/DAC combo, the Schiit Fulla, for $80. That combined with the DT 880's brings me to $310 plus any shipping on the Fulla. 
  lol I wont consider DT880 nor DT990 as "high-end"

I would consider that as Mid-Fi more than High-Fi because there is a long way to go (giving you courage to spent more $$$ on the headphone if you spent more than 90% of the day listening to the music)

Get a Stax/Abyss/HD800/ T1/ Fortex...................

Well they're high end compared to what I have been using lol. I've been using a crappy "gaming headset" from Logitech. Even myself as an inexperienced audio person can tell right away they suck. It will be a massive upgrade for me. 

I've read people with same music preference as you say that DT880 is boring to their taste, and they all said they found DT990 to be much better for those genres. However they are open so if you are gonna use them in public and in a dorm I would go for a closed can. If you want a closed can I can recommend DT770.

Also check out:

C5 JSD Labs (amp)
FiiO e07k (amp/dac)
FiiO e10k (amp/dac)

How much noise would emit from a pair of open back headphones? Is it really bad? I will be using them in a dorm room. If I turn the volume down on whatever I am listening to at night would it still be bad? I've heard so many times that open backs typically sound a lot better. I don't want to miss out on that if I don't have to. 

I've seen a few reviews on the FiiO e10k. It had some negative feedback in regards to the sound quality. I heard the non K version is better, however I am finding it hard to find unless I order it from Japan. I will look into the other two though so thanks. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 19
2. How much noise will escape a pair of open back headphones, such as the DT 880's I just mentioned? As far as I understand, open back headphones offer a superior sound stage which I would love to experience, however I will be returning to college in the fall and will have a roommate who I don't want to disturb. I don't want to invest a lot of money into something only to not be able to use it while I am at school. If the amount of noise that will escape is a lot I would love to get some advice on an alternative to the DT 880 that might work for me.

You should not choose an open (or semi open) headphone if you are concerned about sound escaping.

For a closed headphone, look into the Soundmagic HP150. The soundstage is indeed smaller than the DT880 (I would describe it as more intimate), but it sounds very good.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 19
You should not choose an open (or semi open) headphone if you are concerned about sound escaping.

For a closed headphone, look into the Soundmagic HP150. The soundstage is indeed smaller than the DT880 (I would describe it as more intimate), but it sounds very good.

I'm concerned about sound escaping, but it's not a huge issue. During the day it will be fine when my roommate will be out or in the room but not sleeping. It will only really be an issue on certain nights when I stay up late to study or whatever. In those cases if I simply turn the volume down to a lowish level, will there still be a lot of sound escape? 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 19
I'm concerned about sound escaping, but it's not a huge issue. During the day it will be fine when my roommate will be out or in the room but not sleeping. It will only really be an issue on certain nights when I stay up late to study or whatever. In those cases if I simply turn the volume down to a lowish level, will there still be a lot of sound escape? 

I can't tell you exactly how much will escape. If you lay headphones down on your desk with them playing at low volume, is too much sound getting out into the room? The DT880s won't be that bad.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 19
How much noise would emit from a pair of open back headphones? Is it really bad? I will be using them in a dorm room. If I turn the volume down on whatever I am listening to at night would it still be bad? I've heard so many times that open backs typically sound a lot better. I don't want to miss out on that if I don't have to.   
I've seen a few reviews on the FiiO e10k. It had some negative feedback in regards to the sound quality. I heard the non K version is better, however I am finding it hard to find unless I order it from Japan. I will look into the other two though so thanks. 

Well personally I'd go with open cans for sure if you're not gonna use them outside in public. If you have a nice roommate I'm sure it will be no problem. My first can was closed, and then I bought an open and it was so much better. I will never go back to closed cans (with a few exceptions like TH600/900/Denon 7000) unless it's for outdoor use.

I've only read good about FiiO e10k. It does really well for the price. But dont buy it if you're gonna pair it with 250 ohm or above. 

Also check out the new FiiO e17k. I dont know it so you'd have to read about it. It's an amp/dac that should run up to 300 ohm cans.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 19
I can't tell you exactly how much will escape. If you lay headphones down on your desk with them playing at low volume, is too much sound getting out into the room? The DT880s won't be that bad.

I understand you can't tell me exactly. I was just looking for a rough estimate so your example of laying the headphones down was great. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 19
"If you have a nice roommate I'm sure it will be no problem"

What the heck kind of logic is that?? If *you* are a nice roommate, you won't make your roommate listen to the music leaking out of your headphones!

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 19
"If you have a nice roommate I'm sure it will be no problem"

What the heck kind of logic is that?? If *you* are a nice roommate, you won't make your roommate listen to the music leaking out of your headphones!

I live with other people and they dont complaint as long as I dont play it when they sleep. I dont get what your problem is really. It's pretty easy to talk to the roommate/s about it and if the roommate/s doesnt like that idea you simply gotta respect that and go with closed.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 19
I live with other people and they dont complaint as long as I dont play it when they sleep. I dont get what your problem is really. It's pretty easy to talk to the roommate/s about it and if the roommate/s doesnt like that idea you simply gotta respect that and go with closed.

What's your problem? The OP is talking about buying the headphones now in anticipation of a roommate in the fall. It's too early to talk to the roommate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back