New Audio Technica Flagship - ATH-AWKT "Kokutan"
May 1, 2020 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Aethelred

100+ Head-Fier
Well, here it is folks. The new Audio Technica closed headphone flagship Audio Technica ATH-AWKT "Kokutan".
All can be read on the official web site and the first review can be found here as well.
I have to say I love AT cans and W5000 is still my home office favorite being closed one and offering some isolation.
I actually heard those and the other new , lower range model - ATH-AWAS "Asada Zakura" and ATH-ADX5000 during the audio show in the NLD - Veldhoven Xfi Audio Show. It might be affected by the preproduction model, sub-optimal listening conditions and not familiar gear but I have to say that my impressions were very similar to the review link with some caveats. The AT team was switching cables and for me there was a negative impact of the XLR cable over the SE. Not sure but they were probably different construction. The amplifier was AT as well, with some tubes, do not remember the type but i was not familiar with it. For me the ADX5000 sounded in this setup almost too mellow like not AT that i know. I was rather surprised by this. Then, the lower model - Was kind of similar to the balance of the ADX5000 with smaller soundstage, better detail but it was not enough information for me. They were OK and comfortable but nothing special. I would not say they were better than W5000 , just different. Mind that both were not a final products and AT rep took some of my notes so this might be addressed in the final product.
And to the new star - "Kokutan" . Well, physically these are gorgeous. I cannot comment on the new suspension system as it was comfy but the old wings for me are very comfy as well. The build - anybody having W5000 - this is even more luxurious feeling and attention to details. They felt slightly heavier than my W5000 but not overly so. The sound, well for me bass was very good, well defined and textured. Good foot taping factor in my book. I never had any issues with AT fitting and I'm not a bass head so that might have something to do with it. The midrange - i had some issues to define it. There was a bit of coloration but for me it was very pleasant . I have tried with Katie Melua "Wonderful World" and her voice was very detailed, a lot of information about the recording area, reverb and decay very very convincing. I would not say there was a lack of body but this very well might be masked by the amount of detail and the recording. I did not have enough time to try male voices though. High frequencies - again i liked them a lot. Detail was very nice, breathing of the vocalists was well pronounced. A lot of ambient information. Instruments like violin were well reproduced. Sound stage very good for the closed can. Not HD800 level size wise but information about sound bouncing the church wall very convincing. All in all, I was very impressed and could see this as higher model comparing W5000 and also ADX5000 in this configuration. One might have impression that those cans are only about the detail but that was not my feeling. Actually the music picture was well laid down and detailed. I would not say they are thin sounding but also nothing like Sennheiser HD650 either.
Please take all this with the grain of salt as this is just from my memory, and personal notes, that I always make during the audio shows.
I might be interested to compare them at home and i think they might make great paring with the tube amp with some transparrent but warm sound or even AT-HA5000, that I quite enjoy also due to the form factor.
Below is my poor photo from the phone, so of course this does not do the justice how great they look.
20190928_114653.jpg

May 3, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 2
Could not see the original AWKT thread but found it and I have moved my post. Mods please close this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back