New Audeze LCD-R (R = 'Ribbon') announced
Jul 19, 2021 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Mightygrey

Headphoneus Supremus
An interesting new product announced today, which appears to be a collaboration between Audeze and Schiit.

It also seems to be very limited, with 67 units available for sale @ $2,500, which includes a current amplification version of the Jotunheim 2 called the 'Jotunheim A', developed to match the 2-ohm drivers of the LCD-R:

banner
INTRODUCING THE AUDEZE LCD-R
A Special Collaboration
Between Audeze & Schiit

Schiit Jotunheim-A is a unique current-drive headphone amplifier, which inspired Audeze to develop the LCD-R headphone. The LCD-R impedance is only 2 ohms, and uses our new patented Parallel-Uniforce technology. We refer to the LCD-R driver as a Ribbon instead of Planar due to the extremely low impedance and over 98% trace coverage of the diaphragm surface.
d531ff5f-bf18-46b4-83a0-ec3c5883b61f.jpeg
Some Current Schiit.
Not Old Schiit.

The LCD-R comes with a customized Schiit Jotunheim model A current-drive headphone amp. Specially modified by Schiit, the Jotunheim-A offers the ideal electrical match to bring out the best performance in our extremely low impedance drivers. The LCD-R is engineered to work exclusively with the included Schiit amp and should not be used with any other amplifier.

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 40
"Thank you for contacting us. We're aware of this issue and already passed this to the appropriate people in charge, we hope this will be up and running by the end of this day."

LOL I guess that ape above pressed publish too soon. I wonder why 67 though, quite specific a number.

I am guessing for Quality control driver matching? Only 67 of their lots were able to driver match?

(Or limited by the amp parts due to the current electronics worldwide shortage )

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 40
I am guessing for Quality control driver matching? Only 67 of their lots were able to driver match?

(Or limited by the amp parts due to the current electronics worldwide shortage )
Since we're speculating at this point, 2/3 sold and 1/3 hold for warranty and reviews?

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 40
Reminds me of the Jotunheim R made for RAAL headphones

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 40
Reminds me of the Jotunheim R made for RAAL headphones
I am pretty sure it's the same model. Although the difference in impedance is 10x between the RAAL and the new Audeze. I like Audeze, but have given myself a word to not buy another pair until they figure out the hideous earpad mounting system or lack thereof. It's just the worst engineering ever.

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 40
If the amp is really a Jotunheim R with different decoration, that'd be interesting, since the step-baffle compensation tuning on the R is intended for an open driver (no baffle, no cup).

So, either a) the tuning of the headphone itself is not what I'd expect from a ribbon in a conventional cup/pad enclosure, b) you're expected to run it with the compensation turned off, or c) the R is not the same as the A and the compensation is different and maybe the output stage is different too (easier to build to drive 2 ohms than 0.2, and you'd possibly want a different V vs. I bias).

Interesting, either way.

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 40
Wow this is definitely intriguing. I wonder how this will fare when pitted against SR1a.

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 40
Yes, 2Ohms are easier to drive. I am concerned with how low Audeze can go. I am not impressed by the RAAL's 30Hz, which are probably generous too. Hard to say, but it would appear that Audeze are using a different ribbon design to the one used by RAAL. For one, RAAL's housing appear to be way too large for the ribbon size, thus potentially making Audeze's ribbon cover more real estate thus potentially ability to deliver lower bass.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 40
I absolutely love this combination. I've had this for the past week for an upcoming review and they are very fast and nimble headphones (think SR-009 quickness),, but retain the amazing Audeze house sound with deep and impactful bass and a very balanced mid-range and treble. More to come, but I am very impressed so far!

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #13 of 40
"Thank you for contacting us. We're aware of this issue and already passed this to the appropriate people in charge, we hope this will be up and running by the end of this day."

LOL I guess that ape above pressed publish too soon. I wonder why 67 though, quite specific a number.
That might be double the break-even point when taking in R&D.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 40
If the amp is really a Jotunheim R with different decoration, that'd be interesting, since the step-baffle compensation tuning on the R is intended for an open driver (no baffle, no cup).

So, either a) the tuning of the headphone itself is not what I'd expect from a ribbon in a conventional cup/pad enclosure, b) you're expected to run it with the compensation turned off, or c) the R is not the same as the A and the compensation is different and maybe the output stage is different too (easier to build to drive 2 ohms than 0.2, and you'd possibly want a different V vs. I bias).

Interesting, either way.
I believe you are right and I am betting on "C" as Schiit seems to be a bit confused about then the Jotunheim A will be available. Suspect this is case of PR department at Audeze jumping the gun and the tech guys at Schiit not ready to distribute significant units. Still extremely intriguing and a new alternative in the ribbon space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back