new ATH M50 not responding to some tones?
Feb 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ekliptiko

100+ Head-Fier
Earlier this week I picked up a new pair of ATH-M50s and have been impressed listening to them change during the the burn in process. To burn them in , Ive been switching between frequency sweeps and whitenoise, leaving them on at night etc.

Just today, listening to the frequency sweeps off my head, there seems to be no sound for a few frequencies going up (from low to high freq.) as the freq. is rising, it seems to cut out, then i can hear a faint high pitch some time after that. ive got the sweep going up to 28 kHz, the upper limit of these hadphones.

My question: Could it be my ears? would i not be able to hear some intermittent freq.s? Does anyone have experience with these cans thats heard this or something like it?

-ekl

I would like to note that I am very pleased with these headphones over all. When listening to music, I cant distinguish this as a downfall in any sense. They have been burning in for about 65 hours so far, they continue to sound faintly better, and i read that these 'phones really liven up after a good burn in.

EDIT: I just put them on for the first time today, and started up 'History' on Sevens Travel's by Atmosphere, and the bass just turned on! smooth, Low. I can really see this tone coming from a nice big 15" woofer with some power.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 4
what freq's are you talking highs? Many speakers/cans/iem's have a ragged response way up high. I can't imagine (despite the claims) they do 28000k, and you certainly can't hear in that range. At any rate, If you're speaking of 16k and up, don't sweat it.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 4
edit: Sorry, I thought you said 2800 hertz but 2800000 hertz??? no headphones can possibly play a tone that high.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekliptiko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just today, listening to the frequency sweeps off my head, there seems to be no sound for a few frequencies going up (from low to high freq.) as the freq. is rising, it seems to cut out, then i can hear a faint high pitch some time after that. ive got the sweep going up to 28 kHz, the upper limit of these hadphones.

My question: Could it be my ears? would i not be able to hear some intermittent freq.s? Does anyone have experience with these cans thats heard this or something like it?

-ekl

Yes. The human ear is not equally sensitive across all frequencies. The range that can be perceived by each person of course, differs too.

I've tested and burned-in my m50s with the audio files here: Michael Knowles: Extras

and my ears are not perceiving the dip in amplitude you hear at the "certain high frequencies" on my m50s and I believe that's the way it should be for monitor headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back