New AT-PL50 or an OLD Technics SLBD20
Mar 13, 2009 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stargirl

Head-Fier
It's been a long time since I've posted here...because it's been forever since I have had some money to tinker with! I still don't have money...but I suddenly find myself with some new vinyl!

So, for the same price (like 60 CDN dollars) I can order a new at-pl50 which has got nothing but bad reviews on here... OR a really old technics slbd20, with a new ortofon cartidge (this one wont need to be shipped, so even cheaper!). But its like almost the same age as me! (i'm 20!) It looks like it's in pretty decent condition...but I'm just not sure. I mean...again...its MY AGE.

I've been creeping craigslist for a while now (like 2 weeks!) and this is the first posting that has struck some interest in me ... cuz I'm okay with buying a preamp...but I am not okay with replacing a belt, figuring out how to attach a cartridge which is what most other posts have offered...

anyways just need a few opinions...
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 4
20 years old. Heck, I have shirts that are older than you.
rolleyes.gif

Anything remotely decent for that price will be vintage. Most usually require some work, but you can get lucky. I have 3 turntables that are over 25 years old and they still work perfectly.

The one in the link below looks good and would sound better than your other choices. It's probably at least 25 years old. The stylus can be replaced/upgraded easily and if any servicing is required, it's also easy.

Vintage Dual CS 505-2 Belt Drive Turntable Ortofon OM - (eBay.ca item 120388623226 end time 14-Mar-09 17:51:12 EDT)

There's another one here that is different from, but comparable to, the Technics. I've purchased from this seller before. He tests his items before he sells them and he's honest. This one's about 30 years old. This would benefit from a cartridge upgrade down the road.

Pioneer PL-112D Turntable-Shure Cartridge-Works Well ! - (eBay.ca item 290301495041 end time 15-Mar-09 19:00:00 EDT)

Including the Technics, they're all better than the Audio-Technica. There's a good Dual 1219 for under $100. on Canuck Audio Mart and this is better yet, but would probably require some work.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 4
I owned the PL-50 as my first TT and upgraded almost immediately. However, if you want a no brainer system that requires no tweaking, etc. it is a fine choice (esp. if you don't have a phono stage). The phonostage was too noisey for my tatses and the arm had a lot of vibration to it (very thin metal and not that sturdy). It is a hollow plastic design and thus has a super light plinth. For $50 though, can you really complain?

Personally, get the better TT and a cheap phonostage. Many can be had on ebay based off of the Tripath chips for not much cash. Spend some time on ebay and see what you find. Personally, I would look for a belt drive model versus a used direct drive. There can be all kinds of motor and gear issues from age and shipping from my experience with buying two that died within a month.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the advice!
I actually found out the record store near by sells some nice turntables that I think can trust to last - they're more expensive but they've been fixed up and i I wont have to worry about shipping.

that pioneer looked nice too though! i'll look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back