New Astro Mixamp 5.8
Oct 30, 2010 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Riku540

1000+ Head-Fier
http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/111/MixAmp-58/

Well since these are really new there isn't a lot of information on them. I just got the previous mixamp not bot a couple months ago... This kinda thing always happens to me...

Anyways, I guess my only question and real concern is the wireless feature... 5.8Ghz I would hope this is a digital broadcast and not analog? If it were digital than so long as you are getting signal there should be no loss in audio quality to your headphones correct? Kinda like streaming from a PC to different areas throughout the house?

This also apparently supports Dolby Digital 7.1 but the part where I get confused is it says "via Dolby® Pro Logic IIX decoding and Dolby® Headphone Surround Sound output". I know the old one uses both Dolby Headphone and Pro Logic II; the latter being inferior imaging if you are not using TOSLINK. Is this the same or better decoding as the old mixamp?

Basically I'm wondering if overall this is going to be a "better" product or simply a "different" product.

Oct 31, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Bump to share my findings with anyone that might be interested in this product. My question and the real juice of the discussion on the 5.8 Mixamp is here:

http://forums.astrogaming.com/showthread.php?p=26262#post26262

So in summary, the new 5.8 Mixamp does not lose audio quality so long as you are within comfortable range. However the "DD 7.1" this product is boasting is technically true but kind've a lie. While the 5.8 Mixamp, and apparently even the current Mixamp support 7.1 decoding, TOSLINK only supports up to 5.1 therefore neither can actually receive or pump out 7.1 virtual surround. Silly I know.

So in other worlds, if you already have the current or soon-to-be old Mixamp, this is not an upgrade. For those that would like a wireless alternative (and cheaper if you preorder), this is for you.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 9
bump, I just returned my mixamp wired version since I bought it days before this new release. wondering if anyone had inputs on the wireless quality

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 9
The 7.1 is just a marketing gimmick. It will sound exactly the same as the old Mixamp. These things shouldn't even be called 5.1 or 7.1. It's more like a full 360 degree soundfield (more noticeable with certain headphones), which IMHO is AWESOME. They are still using the same Dolby Headphone (DH2 mode) technology as the first mixamp to process 5.1 one signals to virtual surround.

I hope you enjoy it. I'd get it too, but I find it moot considering I use my Mixamp as a pre-amp anyway and my other amp is powered through the wall. Wires will be ran across regardless...

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 9
How is this with movies? 

And would the A40 have the same audio quality as the 5.8's? I couldn't care less about wireless, all I care about is quality for films. 

-Vader

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 9
I think sound quality should be identical between the wired Mixamp and the 5.8 (though to be fair, I have never used the wired version - only the 5.8).  I primarily purchased the 5.8 because at the time, it was ~$30 cheaper than the wired version. :)

I've only watched a small handful of movies with it so far, and those were using my Audio-Technica AD700s (which I've since replaced with Sennheiser HD595s).  As is the case with everything, the specific soundtrack probably  makes a huge difference... but I know I was VERY impressed when I watched Saving Private Ryan on Blu-Ray using the Mixamp 5.8 and AD700s.  During the Normandy beach scene, I could hear the bullets whizzing by/impacting all around me, just as I'd have expected to with my 5.1 speakers. 
Also - my understanding is the Mixamp cannot decode Dobly TrueHD, DTS HD-MA, nor DTS tracks.  The only English track on Saving Private Ryan (or at least, the only one I used) is DTS HD-MA.  Knowing this ahead of time, I was prepared to be underwhelmed with that particular movie.  Now, I'm not exactly sure what I have my Blu-Ray player configured to output on Toslink for DTS HD-MA tracks (I'd GUESS it's the lossy DTS core track).  Regardless, it STILL sounded fantastic.  I'm now no longer hung up on the fact that the Mixamp "doesn't handle" the lossless nor DTS codecs, as it is still possible to get an excellent experience from a DTS HD-MA track.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the response. I think I'll go with the 5.8 instead of the total bithead since the 595's are easily driven by MacBook's and iPhone's anyway apparently, so I'll invest in an amp later on. 

I think getting an immersive surround sound experience is more pressing. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Any idea if Mixamp can be used with laptop by using this USB sound card by TurtleBeach? I'm using Mixamp with PS3, it's great for gaming and watching movies. Now I want to use it with laptop but my laptop doesn't have optical out :frowning2:

Found a post on Astro forum where someone used above mentioned sound card and felt that signal seemed to be not bright enough to play files. I'm not sure what this means.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Any idea if Mixamp can be used with laptop by using this USB sound card by TurtleBeach? I'm using Mixamp with PS3, it's great for gaming and watching movies. Now I want to use it with laptop but my laptop doesn't have optical out :frowning2:

Found a post on Astro forum where someone used above mentioned sound card and felt that signal seemed to be not bright enough to play files. I'm not sure what this means.

I don't have any experience with the USB soundcard you linked... but conceptually, that should work, since it would allow you to output a SPDIF optical signal from your laptop.

Regarding the forum post you mentioned... my guess is he was saying the SPDIF signal is literally not bright enough (as in too few lumens/not enough light output).  Maybe that's because instead of a "normal" Toslink port, it uses an adapter installed in a stereo jack.  But I've heard of some people saying the MixAmp can be a little picky about dim signals even from "normal" Toslink ports (e.g. on an XBox 360 A/V cable)... I think some have been able to overcome that by using very short optical cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back