New Astell&Kern CA1000T impressions thread.
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

Strayngs

Headphoneus Supremus
I ordered this yesterday and look forward to seeing what it can do.

I look forward to seeing how the dac compares with the dac in my Hifi Rose RS150B.

I dont think it will be much more cumbersome to carry around than a dap with an amp attached. I could be wrong.

I would love to know if (or when) a case will be made for this. I think it would be great if it had a option for a belt buckle attachment and so it can be ”worn”

I intend to use this with the Aroma Jewel which is a iem noted to be power hungry. I will now have the option to use full size headphones as I moved away from Head-fi about 1 1/2 years ago when I had a 2 channel dedicated music listening room built. This will give me versatility to get back into head-fi at home or on the road.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 111
Thank you for creating the thread for the CA1000T @Strayngs ! I purchased my CA1000T about a week ago. I've been listening to it everyday since it arrived.

I love the pairing of the CA1000T with the Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor, FAudio Mezzo LE, & Unique Melody MEST MKII. I'm slowly getting around to trying all my IEMs and headphones with the CA1000T.

So far I haven't encountered a pairing that didn't mesh well with it. I'm definitely looking for a leather case for it. Also, the CA1000T is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 111
Thank you for creating the thread for the CA1000T @Strayngs ! I purchased my CA1000T about a week ago. I've been listening to it everyday since it arrived.

I love the pairing of the CA1000T with the Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor, FAudio Mezzo LE, & Unique Melody MEST MKII. I'm slowly getting around to trying all my IEMs and headphones with the CA1000T.

So far I haven't encountered a pairing that didn't mesh well with it. I'm definitely looking for a leather case for it. Also, the CA1000T is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
I also use the CA1000T with Mentor. I haven't quite decided which AMP option I like best. At the moment I'm with OP, as Hybrid or Tube sound too... warm/little airy?

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 111
I also use the CA1000T with Mentor. I haven't quite decided which AMP option I like best. At the moment I'm with OP, as Hybrid or Tube sound too... warm/little airy?
I've only tried hybrid mode so far, Between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock. I found those 2 position settings to be pleasant to my sensibilities.

I'd really like to try the CA1000T with the EE Legend Evo, Odyssey, or Odin.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 111
Thank you for starting a dedicated thread @Strayngs. I added this thread to my watch list to be noticed on posts for follow up. My account has been funky with new threads and I always don't get notified right away if thrre is a new post. It usually fixes itself after a few weeks. I've spoken to tbe Head Fi team about it in the past, but still happens sometime.

If someone has a question and I don't respond within 24 hours M - F, please feel free to PM me.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 23, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 111
Are you guys using IEMs with it using the 4.4 balanced Or 3.5? Any hiss?

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 111
Ok guys, I am NOT crazy. One thing is for sure, I have never in my life had such weird bugs/problems with such a device as with the CA1000T.

Here's the next thing: I noticed that the CA1000T plays a weird noise when I have the IEM plugged in and not playing music. The noise I hear with the IEM and sounds like power voltage, like weird vibrations. And now comes the crass: as soon as I touch the device with my finger, the noise stops! The noise is then not heard when I remove the power cable (I have also tried different cables here).

What the hell is that?! Again: I am definitely NOT imagining it!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 111
Ok guys, I am NOT crazy. One thing is for sure, I have never in my life had such weird bugs/problems with such a device as with the CA1000T.

Here's the next thing: I noticed that the CA1000T plays a weird noise when I have the IEM plugged in and not playing music. The noise I hear with the IEM and sounds like power voltage, like weird vibrations. And now comes the crass: as soon as I touch the device with my finger, the noise stops! The noise is then not heard when I remove the power cable (I have also tried different cables here).

Interesting. Mine just got here today and it is charging. So I'll listen for the first time a little later tonight. I'll let you know I notice anything like that.

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 111

No such issues with my CA1000T. However, I had EMI and ringing issues with iBasso's AMP14 which incorporates Korg Nutubes. As far as I can tell the CA1000T has excellent shielding.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 111
phiemon said:

What the hell is that?! Again: I am definitely NOT imagining it!"

Was this problem present from the start?

Ground loop? Usually a deep hum here.
Microphonic tube? Squealing and ringing. Hard to imagine this when the tube is out of the circuit.
Dirty AC Power? Wierd sounds. Power conditioner?
Powerful broadcast tower nearby?

At least it is transportable so possibly try a different outlet at home or elsewhere.

Good luck.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 111
As soon as I have time I'll look into it and give an update, thanks for now for the messages.

By the way, I noticed the problem only the other day. What has changed is that I use the AMP in hybrid modus....

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 111
As soon as I have time I'll look into it and give an update, thanks for now for the messages.

By the way, I noticed the problem only the other day. What has changed is that I use the AMP in hybrid modus....
I have used Hybrid and Tube Mode under normal usage conditions and USB DAC mode.. no noise even with sensitive IEMs. I would certainly try @daveoo 's suggestions and if all else fails contact @JasonNYC or the merchant you purchased your CA1000T from... That is after thorough troubleshooting. I hope that issue is resolved. I would also power cycle the CA1000T to see if that helps.

From the CA1000T Manual:

6. There is no sound or there is static/interference. Check that the volume setting is above [0]. Check that the earphones are plugged in properly and make sure nothing is obstructing the port connection. Verify that the music file is not corrupt. Verify that the audio settings have been set properly. (Balanced out, line out, etc.)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #14 of 111
I have used Hybrid and Tube Mode under normal usage conditions and USB DAC mode.. no noise even with sensitive IEMs. I would certainly try @daveoo 's suggestions and if all else fails contact @JasonNYC or the merchant you purchased your CA1000T from... That is after thorough troubleshooting. I hope that issue is resolved. I would also power cycle the CA1000T to see if that helps.

From the CA1000T Manual:

6. There is no sound or there is static/interference. Check that the volume setting is above [0]. Check that the earphones are plugged in properly and make sure nothing is obstructing the port connection. Verify that the music file is not corrupt. Verify that the audio settings have been set properly. (Balanced out, line out, etc.)
phiemon said:

What the hell is that?! Again: I am definitely NOT imagining it!"

Was this problem present from the start?

Ground loop? Usually a deep hum here.
Microphonic tube? Squealing and ringing. Hard to imagine this when the tube is out of the circuit.
Dirty AC Power? Wierd sounds. Power conditioner?
Powerful broadcast tower nearby?

At least it is transportable so possibly try a different outlet at home or elsewhere.

Good luck.

So, the problem seems to be grounding (I hope it translates correctly).

I tried the following: different power supply, different location, plug reversed, different cable (also stock), different socket, AMP-OP, AMP-Hybrid, AMP-Tube... I hear with IEM (I mean in the earphones) some kind of power voltage when the power cable is connected. Without power cable all is good.

Is the unit defective or what? I have had countless DACs and I have never had a problem like this.

And while I'm at it, just to summarize my other problems with the CA1000T:

1. The CA1000T doesn't seem to turn off completely after I remove the charging cable and file cable. The result is that after a while (hours…) the battery level is lower. In fact, I can always see the battery level when I press the power button briefly (without turning the device on, of course). EDIT: This is obviously meant to be: Without a charging cable, the CA1000T turns off completely.

2. Yes, the PC starts up quite slowly after pressing the power button when the CA1000T is connected with other cables. Only with the original cable I do not have the problem. I have tried different USB rear ports and high quality cables. By pretty slow I mean: I press the power button, the monitor stays black for about 10 seconds, then the bios logo of the PC comes up. With the original cable, this process takes 2-3 seconds. Really strange!

3. When the CA1000T is connected to the PC with a cable other than the stock cable, Windows and Mac gives the error message that the USB device was not recognized and was not ejected properly - even though the device remains powered off at all and is just connected to the PC!

4. Oh so very importantly, when testing different cables and USB ports I found that sometimes the CA1000T just hangs when I turn it on. Only the "A" logo remains visible and I have to hold the power button down for 7 seconds and so. Then I have to remove the file cable briefly and the CA1000T starts up as usual. After that this doesn't happen anymore, that is: after this time worked, the CA1000T always turns on completely without problems - until I eventually change the cable/USB port again etc. This also happens with the original cable.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #15 of 111
I listened very briefly last night and had no issues. My Jewel is brand new so I ran the ca1000t overnight for burn in. I have a few things today to do and will leave it running. Later this afternoon I can really sit down and listen to it. Everything will be new to me as I sold all my headphones when I went to a 2 channel system. So I will not have anything but memory of mostly full size cans over a year ago to compare. I have had a few iems over the years but I never gave them a real chance and sold them a month or so after I got them each time.. I chose the ca1000a to give me flexibility for a full size set if I ever wanted to venture back as none of my 2 channel setup has a headphone jack.

I had one of the channels in my power amp fail on me and it was at the shop for a while and I had zero music. I didnt want to spend good money on a headphone setup because once my amp was fixed (I actually got a new amp yesterday too which is why the ca1000T took the back seat last night) I will only listen to speakers because NO headphone can give me what my 2 channel does ($100,000 setup in a acoustically treated custom built room) but IEMs is something I may use more now. I still love headphones and have pleanty of friends into headphones and so now I can have them over and listen to their headphones on the CA1000T. I can also bring it over when I am visiting. It looks like such a great little unit. Not quite as portable as I would have liked but not a deal breaker. I am going to keep it assuming that the first impression of the sound I heard is accurate!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back