New Artists (for you) in 2004
Dec 19, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
Johnny has many recordings. Any recommendations from anyone? I was looking at his CD titled "My Mother's Hymn Book" at the store. Is this a good one???

To be honest I have no clue, I just found a couple of his greatest hits CDs at a garage sale and figured that for a couple bucks each I couldn't go wrong. I've heard great things about his Folsom Prison and San Quentin live CDs, but I wouldn't know since I haven't heard them yet.

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
The Manic Street Preachers- ended up being my fav. band.
Muse
Damien Rice
Elbow
Morrissey
Neutral Milk Hotel
Starsailor
Suede

Yeah, this was a year of rock
cool.gif

hey... great list of bands! Manic Street Preachers are an excellent band, they rock and are totally not afraid to say what's on their mind. which album did you get?

Suede is one of my favourite bands, too bad they recently broke up. fortunatelty singer/songwriter Brett Anderson is working again with original guitarist Bernard Butler. these two can write some of the most melodic, melodramatic songs with the flashiest guitar work ever.

Starsailor is great, if you don't mind James Walsh's voice; you either like it or don't. Love is Here fast became one of my favourite albums in my whole music collection, and i also excellently recorded. my brother and i both use it as a reference disc.

Elbow, too bad not a lot of people has heard this band. Coldplay has got nothing on Elbow, excellent band.

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
hmmm... guess I disagree. Singer Chris Martin is married to Gwyneth Paltrow...

ahh... touche!
tongue.gif
well... i meant musically anyway. don't get me wrong... i still like Coldplay, i just thing Elbow is genuinely great while Coldplay tries a bit too hard. after all the hype i really don't think A Rush of Blood to the Head is nearly as good as Parachutes.

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 40
franz ferdinand
nelly furtado (rediscovered after her excellent "Folklore" cd)
Opeth
Air
The Shins

I think that's it, i haven't been listening to too much new music even though i've been buying cds a bit lately, just haven't gotten around to trying them out.

Dec 19, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #22 of 40
Massive Attack - rediscovery, already had Mezzanine, which is an amazing, AMAZING CD
Laika
Halou
Spylab
Tricky
Portishead
Morcheeba
Thievery Corporation

IMO, the electronica scene is fading. Sure all the classic acts put out some good CDs this year (Crystal Method, Fluke, Fatboy Slim, Orbital, Oakenfold, Prodigy, and in Jan 05, Chem Bros), but it's just them now (minus Orbital of course). I miss the 90s.
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
IMO, the electronica scene is fading. Sure all the classic acts put out some good CDs this year (Crystal Method, Fluke, Fatboy Slim, Orbital, Oakenfold, Prodigy, and in Jan 05, Chem Bros), but it's just them now (minus Orbital of course). I miss the 90s.
wink.gif

If you think that, then you owe it to yourself to check out a few of the artists in my list. Specifically, Juno Reactor (Bible of Dreams, Labyrinth), Amon Tobin (Supermodified, Out From Out Where), and Ken Ishii (Future In Light). Electronica is by no means fading, you just have to reorient your ears toward some new stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
Manic Street Preachers are an excellent band, they rock and are totally not afraid to say what's on their mind. which album did you get?

Well, first I got Everything Must Go, then slowly bought the rest of their albums. Manics cds are hard to come by in America, so most of what I have was imported from the UK. I truely dont understand why they were never popular in the states.

Dec 20, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 40
Just to name few:

Auf Der Maur
Godsmack (I had one album+I've seen them live before, but got the rest of their albums this year)
Outkast
Sneaker Pimps
Mars Volta

Dec 22, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #29 of 40
I "discovered" some music that's mostly been around a while, but is new to me:

Amon Tobin (I can't get enough of him right now)
Boards of Canada
Boredoms
Fiery Furnaces

Users who are viewing this thread

Back