New Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter ($39) - an official answer for USB DAC and iPad??
May 13, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #61 of 105

This works.

iPhone 6+ (iOS 9.3.1)
Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (MD821AM/A)
generic usb hub
ODAC version 1 (RevB doesn't need the usb hub)
SMSL SAP-5 amp

May 21, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #63 of 105
Thanks. If I had the ODAC RevB then I wouldn't have to use the usb hub to trick iOS. 

I saw the new SMSL IDOL tiny dac amp. I am still thinking about getting it. If it sounds as good as my SMSL SAP-5, it would make for true portable setup. I've tried the Cozoy Aegis. It didn't have enough headroom to very low level audiophile tracks. 

For now, this rig does the job. I am very happy with it. Works with both Android (that support OTG Audio) and IOS.

May 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #65 of 105
works with any ios device with lightning makes no differrence what iphone it is. i use it with iphone 5c, all it does is just add usb port to iphone plus charge iphone and you dont see device draws too much power error. its good device but you still need to power usb device if it needs extra power. the lightning only charges iphone it doesnt add power to device as i assumed before.

May 23, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #66 of 105
The iPhone Apogee setups I see use a usb hub and a powerbank. I suspect you'll get the "usb device uses too much power error." A workaround is to use a usb hub. It tricks iOS. Jury is out if a powerbank is needed.

May 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #67 of 105
Am I wrong in thinking this is more of a software solution than a hardware solution? My thought was the iOS update is what enables the device to send data via the new lightning connector.

So that if I can run my iPhone6+ through the new Apple lightning to USB into my Apogee Groove, anyone with an iPhone (running the same version of iOS) should be able to do the same. I did not think there was at any hardware requirement, once iOS was updated. I did not think an iPhone5 behaved any differently than an iPhone6+ or newer.

::

The Schiit DACs, and for me the Meridian products, are a different issue of inconsistency or just flat out failure. But I thought Apogee Groove was known working, and will work for anyone running the correct version of iOS.

May 24, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #68 of 105
For usb devices reported as using too much power, yes it is a software problem THAT can be tricked by a hardware solution. Some dacs are able to do this on their own. Others need a usb hub as a workaround.

May 30, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #71 of 105
@Gino just took a look at your first post. You seem to be referencing the original cable (MD821AM/A), which looks like this:

What this thread is about is the new model (MD826ZM/A), which looks like this:

Note the two connectors. The original connector is still there. But the lightning power adaptor is additionally fed into the additional port.

May 31, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #73 of 105
^ In my testing, yes.

But the real benefit is you are also charging the iDevice at the same time. It's like you basically connected your iPhone to it's charger, and have the advantage of an extra USB port, to which you can connect an Apogee Groove (and a few other DACs).

I'd be recommending this to everyone I know if it worked for a few more devices - specifically Meridian and Audeze Deckard.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #75 of 105
When using the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with iPhone 6 Plus and Sony PHA-3 DAC/Amp.

Charging is off if lighting cable is connected to the wall.
Charging possible when using an external battery.  Like this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back