New Android Phone Samsung i7500
Apr 29, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 31
I think I may just stick with the Omnia HD, I'm really beginning to like what I hear about the camera. Finally! A smartphone with one of the best cameras available (for now).

I'm still disappointed about a lack of US 3G. Do you think Samsung will come out with a US version compatible with ATT's 3G?

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #17 of 31
It's possible.The current omnia does a have 3g version, so they may do the same with the omnia HD.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's possible.The current omnia does a have 3g version, so they may do the same with the omnia HD.

I certainly hope so, I just don't like waiting an extra three months to one year for a phone to be released in the US. Oh well, I guess we just wait and see.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #19 of 31
I hope that if there is one, it gets picked up by a US carrier. An unlocked high-end smartphone.... probably be near 1K in price.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

I hope that if there is one, it gets picked up by a US carrier. An unlocked high-end smartphone.... probably be near 1K in price.

Yeah, from what I hear it may be Verizon. Aside from what I hear to be great coverage and customer service, I don't like Verizon at all. GSM ftw!

This site seems to have a price of $700 for the 8GB import version. Now just add taxes.

Looks like the way to go is to have it subsidized by a major carrier.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 31
don't care what the specs say, iPhone is the best, hands down. Regardless of specs, you have the iTunes App Store for almost everything. Besides, it's running OS X on there. Yea, it has its short comings, but it is the IMO, still the best phone the market. I don't care if it's mainstream.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Yeah, from what I hear it may be Verizon. Aside from what I hear to be great coverage and customer service, I don't like Verizon at all. GSM ftw!

This site seems to have a price of $700 for the 8GB import version. Now just add taxes.

Looks like the way to go is to have it subsidize by a major carrier.

My only real beef with Verizon is that all recent/new smartphones MUST have a data plan.

I'm a cheap SOB, so I'd be reluctant to spend more than $200. (My last phone was $20 on contract)

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't care what the specs say, iPhone is the best, hands down. Regardless of specs, you have the iTunes App Store for almost everything. Besides, it's running OS X on there. Yea, it has its short comings, but it is the IMO, still the best phone the market. I don't care if it's mainstream.

So you own one? Running OS X doesn't automatically make it the best phone, but yes, it is intuitive, easy to use, and stable, at least from what I hear. I do agree that the App Store is great, but I don't think it makes up for its shortcomings, especially when I can get apps for Symbian and Windows Mobile. It may be more work to actually have to go online, find it, and download it manually, but I still think those phones (Symbian and WinMo smartphones) are worth it. The iPhone may be great for most general users, but it's not for me. I'm more of a power user.

Quote:

My only real beef with Verizon is that all recent/new smartphones MUST have a data plan.

I'm a cheap SOB, so I'd be reluctant to spend more than $200. (My last phone was $20 on contract)

Lol, nice. Yeah, just like how the iPhone must come with a data plan. These things are seriously overprice IMO. Especially text messages. Those are much cheaper in Europe/Asia.

*sigh* We used to be the leader in innovation, technology, and manufacturing capacity. Now we're struggling to catch up to other countries. (At least I think we are, I'm in high school, so I haven't lived that long!)

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #24 of 31
Nah that one goes to china I'm afraid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt91506 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may just end up getting two phones, one with a good camera and the other a smartphone with the rest of the features listed above.

Perhaps a strange question: but why don't you just buy a camera and a phone? This seems kind of silly tbh.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah that one goes to china I'm afraid.

Perhaps a strange question: but why don't you just buy a camera and a phone? This seems kind of silly tbh.

Hmm, I don't know. This was before I decided on the Samsung Omnia HD. Before I wanted a phone with a physical QWERTY, and really, there isn't any good smartphones with both a QWERTY and a quality camera.

A regular camera wouldn't see much use. I'm a high school student, so I don't really have much use for a camera. I'm not like those other teenagers who bring their cameras to school and take pictures of every single moment that happens to them.

Anyway, I don't really have a good use for a camera at school, so I would probably bring the smartphone. However, sometimes when I go out with friends or family, there are times I wish I had a good camera. Here, I would bring the good camera phone, and leave the smartphone at home. I'm not carrying both at the same time, I use one or the other depending on the occasion.

If I bought a camera and a phone separately, the camera would sit in a corner collecting dust. I just wouldn't want to bring two separate devices when I could have them both in one.

Now that I've dropped the QWERTY out of my requirements, it opens up my options. I'm pretty sure I will be getting the Omnia HD.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #26 of 31
Thanks for the explanation, but I still don't get it
biggrin.gif

It's all good though, no need to explain further; you've settled on the Omnia. No need for added buyers-noise right?

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the explanation, but I still don't get it
biggrin.gif

It's all good though, no need to explain further; you've settled on the Omnia. No need for added buyers-noise right?

Only buying the Omnia HD if I can save enough money and/or get a good price.

What I meant was that since there wasn't one phone that fits all my needs, I would own two, but I would only carry one with me all day, depending on the situation.

If I was at school, I wouldn't need a camera, so smartphone.

If I was going out with friends/family, I'd may or may not need a camera, so I'd just take the camera phone just in case.

The Omnia HD seems to have taken care of the problem, with the exception of US 3G. Though I'd doubt I'd be browsing the internet much on the go. So EDGE and WiFi will have to do.

So, anyone else here planning on upgrading or buying a new phone soon?

May 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #28 of 31
It's rumored to go to T-Mob!

I'm deciding between this, the Touch Pro 2, the Huawei Android, the G2, Driftwood, and the CS8.

The Touch Pro 2 is winning, but It'll probably be too expensive.

May 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #29 of 31
N97's coming to the US, hopefully it gets picked up by AT&T (yeah right). May be old tech, but it's better than nothing.

May 3, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

N97's coming to the US, hopefully it gets picked up by AT&T (yeah right). May be old tech, but it's better than nothing.

N97? That was the phone I was looking at until I saw the Omnia HD. How's the camera, and is the touchscreen capacitive?

And about the Nokia 5800, the touchscreen is resistive, but my friend told me they're going to update it to capacitive. Does anyone know if this is true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back