New and old Reggae recommendations please.
Nov 16, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I find this site to be helpful for Caribbean music in general:

http://caribplanet.homestead.com/

I've not ordered aything through them, and thus can't vouch for their service or prices, but it's a fun site to bounce around for a few minutes every now and then for ideas.

While you're there, be sure to check out the "Charts" section which is kept up to date monthly by various categories. If nothing else, you'll see what people who are really into reggae are listening to.

Another fun thing is the "Jammin Reggae Virtual Radio" which I often play on my comuter when I've only got a few minutes and don't have time for a full CD.

Great site. Thanks for that.

Nov 17, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #32 of 49
Definitely pick up Steel Pulse: Handsworth Revolution. Also here is one that wasn't suggested yet but is a really great album of all reggae tracks - Willie Nelson: Countryman.

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #33 of 49
You have seen a few posts for The Congos - Heart of the Congos (another Lee Perry production if not mentioned). Unbelievably beautiful record. This album was re-issued by Blood and Fire records and practically everything in their catalog is fantastic. For great 70's, in particular, jamaican music they obviously strive to re-issue the best. Keith Hudson "Pick A Dub" might be my favorite, and the King Tubby's, Yabby U's, Prince Alla's, the Tappa Zukie, the Max Romeo and of course Heart of the Congos are all wonderfully great
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no affiliation with Blood and Fire, I just love (I mean really love) their catalog.
Enjoy.

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by macm75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This album was re-issued by Blood and Fire records and practically everything in their catalog is fantastic. For great 70's, in particular, jamaican music they obviously strive to re-issue the best. Keith Hudson "Pick A Dub" might be my favorite, and the King Tubby's, Yabby U's, Prince Alla's, the Tappa Zukie, the Max Romeo and of course Heart of the Congos are all wonderfully great
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no affiliation with Blood and Fire, I just love (I mean really love) their catalog.
Enjoy.

Absolutely spot on. Their remastering is never anything less than exemplary. In fact, I'm surprised Blood & Fire doesn't receive more mentions on this forum for their discs' superb production values...

Nov 19, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #36 of 49
New

1. Sizzla - Black Woman & Child
2. Beres Hammond - Love From a Distance
3. Beres Hammond - Love Has No Boundaries
4. Beres Hammond - Music is Life
5. Sanchez - Best of Sanchez
6. Capleton - I Testament

Alot of the awesome old albums are covered (earlier posts), but here's some new stuff for ya
icon10.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #37 of 49
I like the material from the 1966-1972 period the best.Look for the Leslie Kong produced music originally recorded on the Beverly's label.All of the music I own off of the Treasure Isle label is also a treasure.BTW,most of the material from the Harder They Come soundtrack is from Leslie Kong's Beverly's label.Its a good record for the few tracks on it but there are bigger and better collections of this material out there.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #38 of 49
I can't believe no one's mentioned Horace Andy here. He's more famous these days for his work with Massive Attack, but his normal reggae work is second to none. There are quite a few good compilations out on CD, try The Prime of Horace Andy: 16 Massive Cuts from the 70's or Skylarking. Or, if you have a turntable, there are lots of other great options on LP. For those that don't like comps, I think In The Light is still available on CD, and it's very good as well.

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #39 of 49
Some One mentioned Sublime very good band a 2nd recomendation, 40oz to freedom, Robin the hood, and the Self titled LP. They are in essence a ska band, but the guy really is something else check out the song Rivers of Babylon for a good taste, shame the lead singer died that band had some amazing potential...
frown.gif

The Matisushu guy is good too. For a new brand of reggae, yiddish go figure ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #40 of 49
My God!, No love for the Mighty Diamonds. Jam Session is great;

BillC list some great albums.
2X

Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey - Garvey's Ghost;
About 5X

Eddy Grant - Best of Eddy Grant;

Michael Rose - Dance Wicked (very good!)

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #41 of 49
So many names so little time. Of the newer artists I'm enjoying "Midnite" the most. Great roots reggae group from the Virgin Islands. Some other newer artists that I'm enjoying: Gyptian, Gentleman, Niyorah, Luciano, Damian Marley, Jah Mason, Jah Cure, Anthony B, Morgan Heritage......

Older stuff:Hugh Mundell, Lacksley Castell, Junior Reid, Viceroys, Wailing Souls, Congo's, Yabby You, Culture, Burning Spear, Mighty Diamonds, Don Carlos, Linval Thompson, Yabby You, Rod Taylor, Jacob Miller, Dennis Brown, Horace Andy, Aswad, Barrington Levi, Carlton Livingtston, Delroy Williams, Augustus Pablo, Michael Prophet, Earl Sixteen, Twinkle Brothers.........

The list's could go on all day. I'll stop for now.

A shamless plug: Check out the sales/trade boards as I'm selling off my CD collection.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #42 of 49
The word for the day is hyperbole:
Hyperbole |h??p?rb?l?| [noun] Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Now let us use it in a sentence:

Jashugan says
Quote:

Jf theres anything reggae after bob marley ....

Hyperbole.
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #43 of 49
Since this was resurrected, I'll add one.

Barri - Lovelight Shining (unfortunately out of print AFAIK, but should be available used)

He's my cousin....

I found his one CD very enjoyable, I listen fairly often. A litle bit poppy, but a far cry from UB40 type stuff. Not bad for a White Jewish boy from Swampscott, MA.
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #44 of 49
I highly recommend Black Uhuru.

A Quote:
The most successful of the second-generation reggae bands, Black Uhuru maintained their high quality despite numerous personnel changes in their 16-year history. The first reggae band to win a Grammy award, for their 1983 album Anthem, Black Uhuru was, according to Reggae: The Rough Guide, "The most dynamic and progressive reggae act of the 1970s and early '80s."

Vito

Users who are viewing this thread

Back