New and need recs for headphones
Mar 9, 2006 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Linda513

New Head-Fier
I've just spent a good hour reading posts on this forum - its quite fascinating! And there are so many different opinions its hard to decide on what I need. Here's some background:

What I listen to: rock/pop/folk/soundtracks from theater and movies/audiobooks/podcasts

What I listen on: Ipod mini

Where I listen: in the car while my daughter horseback rides, at home both when its quiet and when the kids are watching tv, while traveling via car and plane

Current headphones: Shure E2C

Amp?: No, but wouldn't mind getting one if thats what I need. I saw this gigabag thing to hold an ipod and an amp on headroom and its really cute.

Headphone type I'm looking for: non earbud type, since I already have the shures. The problem is they hurt my ears after a while. And its really hard to use them in the car when someone is listening to the car radio.

Budget: $100 - $150 or so. I'd prefer to stay around $100 if possible

Requirements: Block out some noise, especially car radio noise when I'm in the car and airplane noise (I'm a fearful flyer and the airplane noises don't help). Make both music and the spoken word sound good. Nice bass, but not outrageous. As I'm getting older my ears are getting more sensitive.

I think thats about it, I hope I didn't forget anything. Does anyone know of a place in the Washington DC area where one can go and actually try out headphones? I would think that would be better than ordering online naturally.

Thank you!

Linda
340smile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 10
You got some options in that price range.. You can go with Some of the Grado Series such as the SR60's or the SR80's which both can be had for under $100. The 60's are quite abit easier to drive and come terminated with a 1/8" mini stereo plug rather then a quarter inch. Also if you want something a little more comfy consider some of the sennheisers. You can find the HD497's and also maybe try the 515s. I recently picked up the 515's and am quite happy. Hope that helps

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Although I love my Grado's, they don't do any noise cancelling whatsoever, which was one of your main requirements. What about something like the sennheiser HD-25 (not SP)? They are closed and moderately well thought of. Or the Audio Technica ATH-ES7?

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Always nice to have another lady on the forum.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry about your wallet.

I was going to suggest a step up the Shure ladder, but I guess you want to move away from IEMs (such as Shures and Etymotics). I will say that I saw my friend's e2c's, and not only did they look huge (the tips, i mean), but hard and plastic as well. So not all IEMs are like the e2c's, and you might find them more comfortable.

There aren't many supra-aural headphones (smaller than circumaural ones, whose cups fit all the way around your ear) that isolate well and sound good - a few come to mind such as the Sennheiser HD-25-SP, which can be had for $100 at HeadRoom (www.headphone.com). There's also the Senn PX-200, which cost less, but many people have problems getting a good fit/seal, and they reportedly don't sound as good as their open relatives, the PX-100. There's also the AKG K-26 P from HeadRoom (which loves them) for about $50.

So your best bet cost-wise, isolation-wise, and comfort-wise are circumaural headphones. A couple good ones in the $100 range are Audio-Technica ATH-A500's (A500 for short - Audio-Technica products are best ordered from www.audiocubes.com in the U.S.), which are very large but great especially if you don't have an amp; Sennheiser HD-280 Pros, which are right about $100 and are supposed to have VERY good isolation; on the cheaper side are the Sennheiser HD-201 (great for $20!), and .. that's all I can think of now.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 10
I think teh AT series may be too big for outside (car) use so I will third the Senn HD25 recommendation. Good cans that meet your criteria.

Welcome to HeadFi, sorry about your purse.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 10
Thank you everyone, the recommendations you've made are great. I've got it narrowed down to two:

Sen hd-25-sp
AKG K81DJ

I'll probably go with the Sen, I think the K81DJ model is mostly for DJs obviously, and it sounds like there might be a wait to get it.

Anyone who has had the HD-25 SP for awhile - how is the durability of them? Do I need to pack them in a case or something when I'm on the road, or can I just fold them up and put them in my messenger bag? According to headroom.com they will "last a lifetime in a backpack or suitcase". Is that true?

Linda

PS - what should I buy next? All of this portable audio stuff is fun.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda513
Thank you everyone, the recommendations you've made are great. I've got it narrowed down to two:

Sen hd-25-sp
AKG K81DJ

I'll probably go with the Sen, I think the K81DJ model is mostly for DJs obviously, and it sounds like there might be a wait to get it.

Anyone who has had the HD-25 SP for awhile - how is the durability of them? Do I need to pack them in a case or something when I'm on the road, or can I just fold them up and put them in my messenger bag? According to headroom.com they will "last a lifetime in a backpack or suitcase". Is that true?

Linda

PS - what should I buy next? All of this portable audio stuff is fun.

I believe that the HD-25 is supposed to be extremely rugged. I'm sure you could do a search here and find a review or two. As for a next step, I'd recommend getting a line-out cable and a Go-Vibe amplifier (small battery-powered headphone amp). The total for that would run around $75, I believe. You can find out more by searching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back