New Amplifier setup question
Mar 20, 2018 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

inDeeDy

New Head-Fier
I have a Teac Ai-301DA. It is great for my Elac B5's, but I find the headphone amplifier lacking in power. I only have audio Technica m50's, but plan on upgrading later to higher impedance headphones.

I'm looking for a headphone Amp that can work with the Teacs DAC. The Unit has two RCA line ins, a optical in, and coaxial in. Is it possible to plug in an external amp in and use the Teacs dac? or do I need another Dac to do this?

My budget is $200. I heard good things about the Schiit Magni 3.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 3
youll need another DAC, no line level outputs on your teac unit. I'd suggest a headphone amp with a built in DAC on that budget. (although i suppose the schiit magni 3 + the modi 2 DAC would fit in your budget)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm looking for a headphone Amp that can work with the Teacs DAC. The Unit has two RCA line ins, a optical in, and coaxial in. Is it possible to plug in an external amp in and use the Teacs dac? or do I need another Dac to do this?

My budget is $200. I heard good things about the Schiit Magni 3.

Those are Line Inputs. That means the signal goes into the AI-301DA, not out. It's meant for TTs or another DAC/CDP/DAP to send it an analogue signal that it will then amplify, bypassing its DAC.

In short, no, you can't use another amp with it. What you need is a fixed voltage output to the HPamp, same as what comes out of a DAC/CDP, which in integrated amplifiers can just be the Tape Rec Out which just sends whichever input is selected back out.

Your best choice is to get an AudioGD NFB-11 and hook up your digital sources into it, and then wire it up and select Fixed Voltage output from its rear (direct from its DAC output stage, bypassing the preamp stage) RCA output jacks into the Line In of the AI-301DA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back