New Amp w/ Hd650s: USB into laptop, or line-in into Cowon?
Jun 30, 2016 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JBThazard

Head-Fier
Title says it all but let me clarify a bit:

I just got my first ever heavy duty audiophile stuff: the HD650's and a Maverick audio TubeMagic D1. I'm not entirely sure precisely how this works compared to my previous, more portable setup (HD598s and DT 1350s through PA2V2 amp).

Basically, I've tried the 650's using my USB cable into my laptop and it does sound great, but I'm under the impression that my Cowon Plenue should be a better source than my Acer laptop's sound card. Or does it make a difference at all?

Basically, should I buy a cable to directly plug in my Cowon into the Line-In socket to get better quality, or does it not make a difference? Again, still learning precisely how all this works.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 13
  I just got my first ever heavy duty audiophile stuff: the HD650's and a Maverick audio TubeMagic D1. I'm not entirely sure precisely how this works compared to my previous, more portable setup (HD598s and DT 1350s through PA2V2 amp).

Basically, I've tried the 650's using my USB cable into my laptop and it does sound great, but I'm under the impression that my Cowon Plenue should be a better source than my Acer laptop's sound card. Or does it make a difference at all?

If you're using digital audio via USB from the laptop to the D1, the laptop's sound circuit is totally bypassed. You're not hearing the DAC of the laptop, you're hearing the D1's.

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 13
And will I also be bypassing my Cowon if I use the Line-In socket on the front?

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Ok, I think I understand now. The Tubemagic's DAC should sound better than the Cowon's since that's what it's main function is, right?

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 13
  Ok, I think I understand now. The Tubemagic's DAC should sound better than the Cowon's since that's what it's main function is, right?

That depends. Why not just use USB if you're at home? The Cowon's a portable anyway, plus it'll be like using one of those fishing rod Playstation controllers if you use it at home - you hold it in your hand and it's tethered to your amplifier.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 13
The idea is that I like the UI and touchscreen of my Cowon more than using Winamp, plus the portability of it makes it easier to just lie in bed while switching songs.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 13
  The idea is that I like the UI and touchscreen of my Cowon more than using Winamp, plus the portability of it makes it easier to just lie in bed while switching songs.

I personally avoid using anything more than a player/smartphone and an IEM when in bed to avoid dozing off and then moving dragging something off the table. That said, I'd have just picked up an amp smaller than the D1 at least, if your preferred source is a DAP in hand (rather than for example a computer, or a DAP/smartphone on a dock).

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 13
The reason I got the D1 was because they came with the HD650s; came in a used bundle. I'm just more accustomed to my Cowon and find it's UI better, is all. Thanks for your replies, very helpful. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Ok, I've done a bit of research on the topic and this is what I've found:

the DAC of the Tube Magic 1 has these stats: THD 0.0007%, SNR 120dB, Stereo Crosstalk -102.3dB

The DAC of the Cowon Plenue D (whatever its name is) has these: THD 0.004%, SNR 123dB, Stereo Crosstalk -105dB

It seems that statistically speaking, the Plenue D DAC is slightly better than the one in the Tube Magic. I compared the two with the same song over and over and while I can't be certain, the Plenue D had slightly better vocal decay and instruments such as cymbals sounded less crumply or compressed, or however I should describe it (it was a song with the percussion slightly brickwalled in the first place). 

Unless I'm missing anything that anyone would like to add, I will continue using the Line-In socket on the amp/DAC for my Plenue D, as it seems the slightly better option (plus the convenience of fitting in my hand unlike my laptop, and the great EQ settings).

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 13
  Ok, I've done a bit of research on the topic and this is what I've found:

the DAC of the Tube Magic 1 has these stats: THD 0.0007%, SNR 120dB, Stereo Crosstalk -102.3dB

The DAC of the Cowon Plenue D (whatever its name is) has these: THD 0.004%, SNR 123dB, Stereo Crosstalk -105dB

It seems that statistically speaking, the Plenue D DAC is slightly better than the one in the Tube Magic. I compared the two with the same song over and over and while I can't be certain, the Plenue D had slightly better vocal decay and instruments such as cymbals sounded less crumply or compressed, or however I should describe it (it was a song with the percussion slightly brickwalled in the first place). 

Unless I'm missing anything that anyone would like to add, I will continue using the Line-In socket on the amp/DAC for my Plenue D, as it seems the slightly better option (plus the convenience of fitting in my hand unlike my laptop, and the great EQ settings).

Well I did say that being desktop gear didn't make the D1 automatically better, but still, did you level match? Because the differences you heard, particularly the cymbals, could be due to slightly louder levels with the D1's 2v DAC vs the 1v output of the Plenue.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #12 of 13
I did spend a while adjusting for volume since right off the bat the Tube Magic was louder. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back