New amp suggestions for HD600/Cardas
Dec 2, 2003 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Brad Harper

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy a new home amp for my HD600/Cardas phones. My current source is a NAD CD541i, but I am looking into a Music Hall with the level 1+ mods. I am interested in an amp that will compliment a very diverse music collection. I have heard great things about the Grace, Corda PreHead, and SinglePower, but what suggestions do you guys have for me.

Dec 3, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 15
I think if you poked around for a few weeks and just read the posts in the amp section and elsewhere and did some searches, you could get a lot of information for yourself. In your price range, you should definitely consider the Ray Samuels Emmeline. But do some searches and look around. You'll get lots of info around here. That's what I did and now I think I have too much info. but that's not such a bad thing either. Good luck.

Dec 3, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 15
AudioValve RKV Mk II loves the smurfed HD600s
600smile.gif

Dec 3, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 15
My personal take on the solid state amplifers that I have heard in your price range together with the Smurfed 600.

HR-2 - If you like the manner in which the 600 departs from neutral and have a strong interest in Classical and/or small group jaz / acoustic this is really worth listening to. I find it doesn't rock really well, the combination tends to remain rather polite and refined.

Gilmore SE - I really don't care for this combination. The Gilmore tends to be a very dynamic and upfront amplifier, that to me, is very strong in conveying enegy while the HD 600 tend to be laid back. In the end, they fight each other and boths strengths get diluted.

Grace 901 - It's a good combination, somewhere in between the HR-2 and the Gilmore. The detail is excellent and if you like hearing every detail in a smooth and refined fashion this will do it for you. If you really want an all around amp, this is the one I would pick (of these). It isn't quite as strong as the HR-2 for classical and acoustic jazz but it will rock much better.

MPX3 - Only heard this briefly and I haven't heard its big brother the Supra which I believe is the one you'd probably be interested in. This combo showed a lot of promise, but I did not have enough time to really get a feel.

Dec 10, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 15
You made a good choice with the RKV MKII. The amp was great with the HD600/Cardas. Very warm and smooth sound without sacrificing details. Definately one of the best combos I have heard so far.

Dec 10, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Brad Harper
I bit my lip and bought a RKV MK2se and a Emmeline XP-7 this week. Hope my wife doesn't find out.

Yeah baby, that's doing it right! Enjoy and post your impresssions when you get a chance!

Dec 10, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 15
I should get the RKV in the next day or two. Ray is burning in my amp for the next four days with upgraded op-amps, so I will probably get it middle of next week.

I will post results after I give a listen. I have been using a Supreme for the last year, so I am sure my post will read " WOW".

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 15
Great amps which match well with HD600/cardas, in my experience:

The Maxed Out Home from headroom, preferably with reference module upgrades, and ideally a stepped attenuator.

The Corda Prehead.

Both amps are top audiophile and pair well with even the best of unbalanced (RCA) sources. The Maxed Out Home has a crossfeed which creates a more realistic soundstage and is a bit on the darker side, while the Prehead has a crossfeed which tends to create a more coherent sense of imaging and tracking but does not have as good of a soundstage. Both amps are built like tanks and get my recommendation.

You should use, ideally, a pair of Dimarzio M-Path interconnects if possible, unless you have something even better.

With one of these amps, and say a $2000-4000 source your full potential will be realized. I have one of the above amps and drive them through a $200 CDP because I ran out of money, but the performance gain from using a good amp is still there.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 15
The source you have planned out for a purchase, by the way, should pair nicely with either of those two amps. Remember, with one of those two amps, you will hear improvements even with the purchase of a good ten grand vinyl source!

Also, consider the Emmeline HR-2, I haven't heard it but it's definitely in the same class as the other two amps I mentioned, and is supposed to have an incredibly sweet, neutral, detailed sound.

I haven't found a pair of phones which beats the HD600 yet. You're definitely on to something here.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 15
Since the Grace was mentioned i'll go ahead and mention benchmark DAC1.

I had the cardas cables, recently got Zu mobius. Sounds incredible, i say i like it as if more then my home rig.

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 15
I have recieved the RKV and the Emmeline should be here tommorrow. I am really enjoying the RKV thus far, however, it shipped with two sets of tubes. I am not sure which ones are the stock tubes. I would like to start out listening with the stock tubes before trying anything else, so if someone could let me know which ones they are that would be great.

I would also like to know for futue reference which are some favorite tubes for this rig with HD600/Cardas, and maybe CD3000.

Dec 16, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Man, I wish I money to splurge on a setup like yours. My setup probably sounds most like your future setup with the XP-7 since my PPA is currently sporting AD8610 opamps.

While I would admit that solid state doesn't leave much to be desired, I'd like to try a tubed setup one of these days....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back