New amp or new headphone?
May 25, 2006 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
Pretend I have $80 and won't have any more money for a long time.

I'm looking to either buy either a PA2V2 and a Pocketdock or an SR60. I already have a KSC75 and listen to pretty much EVERYTHING. I've heard everyone say that SR60 sounds pretty bad with classical, while I don't think my KSC75s do classical badly. I've also read that PA2V2+KSC75 is pretty close to the SR60 anyway. So which do you think would be more versitile: getting a PA2v2 or an SR60? I'll be running them mostly out of my G3 iPod and my iMac G4.

May 25, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Hard to say.... since Ive never heard either can straight out of an ipod.

IMHO PA2V2 with a stock KSC75 is a little too bassy for my tastes. Mod the KSC75 however and its a different story.

???

Garrett

May 25, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Have you considered saving up for a used MS1 or SR80, or perhaps getting a K81DJ?

May 25, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi
I thought about the SR80, but:
1. the bowls look very uncomfortable
2. HeadRoom says they require an amp to not sound "murky", though I hear that the HeadRoom reviewers aren't Grado fans...

...though the K81 does look good. Grr, too many choices! How do the K81 and SR60 compare?

I didnt care for the SR-80. I thought the SR-60 was close to equal or better in most respects and still cheaper.
Bowls are ok. Some ears can take them, some cant.
The AKGs are great as a portable sealed can under $100. I think Id still rather have the openess of the Grados if my situation allowed for it.
And I dont think an amp + any phone you could buy with what little you had left of the $80 would be greater than just buying the SR-60. Close in many ways but Id still rather have the SR-60 and room for growth than top out on the KSCs or whatever.

May 25, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 10
you should save up for the Grado GS-1000! $80 done, $920 to go!
etysmile.gif

i recently bought the PA2v2. originally i have my ipod and shure e3c's and wanted to try out some amps. after comparing the ipod/PA2v2/stock buds vs. the ipod/shure e3c's, i'd have to say that the latter is the better bet. amps are nothing without a good source and earphones. so based on that, my advice would be to get some headphones and worry about the amp later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back