New Amp for Sennheiser HD598's for <250$
Oct 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CoolcatTC

New Head-Fier
I just recently got myself a pair of HD598's and after burning them in I'm very satisfied with the sound. Right now i usually just hook them up to my Fiio e11 amp and my ipod. I was looking at getting a full sized desktop amp as it's a pain always charging the e11 and i never really use it portably, I mainly got it for its price as I needed a starter amp for the HD598's. I have been looking at a Schiit Asgard amp or a Matrix M-stage amp as these seem to be the best options in my price range. I'm looking for any opinions on amps in this price range on these factors:
1. How much of an improvement is it from the e11? Is the difference day and night?
2. Any deals or great price/performance amps would be great as im 17 years old working on minimum wage while in high school, so my budget is pretty slim.
3. I plan on getting a Asus stx or one of the new z series Creative cards for my computer to use as a DAC. Not sure if the external DAC's are better or not I haven't researched this aspect very much yet, but i would also need to be able to plug my Klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers into them and have it connect to my computer (games and movies are also a factor for the DAC).

Any opinions or suggestions would be great! If you need any additional information to make your assumptions feel free to ask.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I just recently got myself a pair of HD598's and after burning them in I'm very satisfied with the sound. Right now i usually just hook them up to my Fiio e11 amp and my iPod. I was looking at getting a full sized desktop amp as it's a pain always charging the e11 and i never really use it portably, I mainly got it for its price as I needed a starter amp for the HD598's. I have been looking at a Schiit Asgard amp or a Matrix M-stage amp as these seem to be the best options in my price range. I'm looking for any opinions on amps in this price range on these factors:
1. How much of an improvement is it from the e11? Is the difference day and night?
2. Any deals or great price/performance amps would be great as im 17 years old working on minimum wage while in high school, so my budget is pretty slim.
3. I plan on getting a Asus stx or one of the new z series Creative cards for my computer to use as a DAC. Not sure if the external DAC's are better or not I haven't researched this aspect very much yet, but i would also need to be able to plug my Klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers into them and have it connect to my computer (games and movies are also a factor for the DAC).

For $15, off eBay, you can get 2 spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC powered battery wall charger.
I think the Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier is a sweet sounding amplifier and the HD598 are fairly easy to drive.

Asus Xonar DX (PCI-E) sound card, comes with the same audio processor (CMI8788) as the Essence STX or ST.
DX comes with most of the surround sound features as the STX & ST, the Xonar DX's comes with the CS4398 DAC chip.
Buy-dot-com is selling it for $44.14, plus $8.35 shipping
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-xonar-dx-7-1-channels-pci-express-sound-card/207955060.html?listingId=246194361

So, for around $68, you can game, watch movies and listen to nice audio music.

What make and model is your motherboard?

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 9
I have a Asus Formula IV mobo, it says it comes with creative x-fi on board, but its not that great. It has tons of expansion slots however so either a pci or pci-e is fine. I built my computer myself so installing it would'nt be a big deal.
Are their really any notary advantages to a more expensive DAC or amp then the ones you mentioned?

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I have a Asus Formula IV mobo, it says it comes with creative x-fi on board, but its not that great. It has tons of expansion slots however so either a pci or pci-e is fine. I built my computer myself so installing it would'nt be a big deal.
Are their really any notary advantages to a more expensive DAC or amp then the ones you mentioned?

Which exact model Asus Formula IV motherboard do you have (there at at least 8 models)?

As you were talking about being having a "slim budget", I tried to come up with something fairly decent for the price.
You really should be spending more for headphones then you do for a DAC/amp.
So while the Schiit & Matrix-M might be great stuff, you should be able to spend a lot less for quality you could be happy with.
The HD598 (50-Ohm) headphones are fairly easy to drive, so they can work well with little amplification.
The Xonar DX & D1 sound cards have about the best DAC chip you can get, for a sound card, for the price range.

Another option is the SMSL SD-793II external DAC/Amp, comes with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) digital input,
a PCM1973 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier and RCA line-out and only costs $60.
So you can have headphones and speakers hooked up to it at the same time.
And you should be able to your motherboard's built in sound features, thru the S/PDIF output.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110939972633?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Alright thank you I like the look of the SMSL SD-793II. one last question however, is their anywhere i could get a cable that changes the R out and L out into a Front speaker out as I am having trouble tracking one down. Also the Asus formula IV is a Crosshair model

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Alright thank you I like the look of the SMSL SD-793II. one last question however, is their anywhere i could get a cable that changes the R out and L out into a Front speaker out as I am having trouble tracking one down. Also the Asus formula IV is a Crosshair model

I believe this is the cable your talking about, 3.5mm female to RCA.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2

I like buying stuff from China because of the low cost and good value,
If it breaks, I would never want to pay for shipping all the way to China and have several weeks downtime for any warranty stuff.
I would toss the broken one and just buy new.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I believe this is the cable your talking about, 3.5mm female to RCA.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2

I like buying stuff from China because of the low cost and good value,
If it breaks, I would never want to pay for shipping all the way to China and have several weeks downtime for any warranty stuff.
I would toss the broken one and just buy new.

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks man you've been a great help.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I just recently got myself a pair of HD598's and after burning them in I'm very satisfied with the sound. Right now i usually just hook them up to my Fiio e11 amp and my ipod. I was looking at getting a full sized desktop amp as it's a pain always charging the e11 and i never really use it portably, I mainly got it for its price as I needed a starter amp for the HD598's. I have been looking at a Schiit Asgard amp or a Matrix M-stage amp as these seem to be the best options in my price range. I'm looking for any opinions on amps in this price range on these factors:

Any opinions or suggestions would be great! If you need any additional information to make your assumptions feel free to ask.

If you can afford a DAC, get it. As for the amp, no don't expect a "day and night" improvement. Improvements of such scales are all expectation bias, no matter how good an amp is. E11 is a nice amp but I got an E17 mainly because it's more flexible and comes with a DAC. But I digress... if you're getting minimum wage then you should be using that money more wisely. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

an external dac would be better and benalli ha540 is a phenomenal tube amp for 224 with these. oh and i also run ipod to e11 to 598's till my benalli comes and yeah its a huge difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back