New AMP/DAC for HD650's
Dec 11, 2012 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jason36

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys I have recently obtained a pair of Sennheiser HD650 Headphones which I am currently using with a Laptop (JR MC17 & Spotify) and uDAC2.

Whilst I am happy with the sound from the uDAC I am wondering if I would gain any major improvements by investing in a new AMP/DAC this side of £300.00?

I have had a look at a couple of options including:

1. Audinst HUD-MX1
  2. Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02D (Basically UK built ODAC/O2)
  3. FiiO E9 + E7

Both of these options come in at less than £200. Would I see any improvements or am I best to save my money until later next year and look at something more expensive Like a Schiit Combo / Burson Audio etc.

Jason

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi guys I have recently obtained a pair of Sennheiser HD650 Headphones which I am currently using with a Laptop (JR MC17 & Spotify) and uDAC2.

Whilst I am happy with the sound from the uDAC I am wondering if I would gain any major improvements by investing in a new AMP/DAC this side of £300.00?

I have had a look at a couple of options including:

1. Audinst HUD-MX1
  2. Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02D (Basically UK built ODAC/O2)
  3. FiiO E9 + E7

Both of these options come in at less than £200. Would I see any improvements or am I best to save my money until later next year and look at something more expensive Like a Schiit Combo / Burson Audio etc.

Jason

Major improvements? Probably not. Audible improvements? Possibly.

If you decide to spend more money, I recommend the ODAC+O2 (EHP-02D). Both were designed to be transparent (neutral) and they achieve that goal. Schiit and Burson won't improve the sound beyond the O2 although they may have additional features you find desirable. For the price, you won't beat the EHP-02D.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 9
This is a bizarre site......with all the HD650 owners on this site....I get 1 reply to a general question!!!!

Thanks for you feedback though HamilcarBarca.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 9
This is a bizarre site......with all the HD650 owners on this site....I get 1 reply to a general question!!!!
Thanks for you feedback though HamilcarBarca.

Well do the math. Your thread only got 87 views at this post. I doubt there is 1 in 100 members who actually own the HD650.

All of us HD650 owners are all over at the HD650 thread where it would have been smart to ask your question.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Hi Jason,

I am a HD650 owner, I used a Beresford TC7510 with a Panda kit amp which I built.
Stan Beresford launched a new DAC recently, the Bushmaster at a reasonable price. I no longer use the 7510 or Panda.

The Bushmaster has made a noticeable difference (for the better) to my 650's

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/PP/DAC_with_TWIN_OPTICAL_26_TWIN_SPDIF_INPUT_2D_BLACK_FRONT.html

Beresford gets a bad rep on a lot of forums, I've dealt with him on a few occasions now, including just upgrading my Bushmaster to the latest spec.  Give him a call.
Before anyone says it, no I'm not connected with him in any way other than as a satisfied customer.

Cheers
Richard

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 9
I've had mine for a few years and had a chance to try them out on different setups. I first had it connected with the Headroom Micro Amp and DAC. Sounded quite good, but when I heard the headphones through a Darkvoice amp, I was really amazed. I know nothing about tubes or rolling amps, so I started to find a setup that helped achieve that tube sound quality. I wanted to stick with the SS route, so I tried out the Meier Corda HeadFive. Sounded good as well, but not what I was after. I then changed to a DacMagic and got my hands on a Rockhopper M3 (with the Sigma 11, but I can't the difference lol) and I have found my setup. I've been enjoying this for a long while and don't intend to change anything. To me, I've found my music nirvana.

Hard to recommend a particular amp, since the sound that you are looking for might be different than what I'm looking for.

Good luck on your search.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 9
O2+ODAC is highly praised.

haven't tried one myself.

Just got HD650's too though, and driving them with uDAC2-hp

I have a RA1 clone 4556 cmoy in an altoid can made by ampedup77 on eBay on the way, should be good (made state-side, supposedly has that TI rail breaker).

It's a temporary fix with my uDAC2-hp til i probably just go O2+ODAC.

Gonna have to remember to turn the amp off when not in use, though. don't want to accidentally send some harmful dc charges to the headphones.

I hope having an amp super charges the sound. but im impressed how udac2 is alright with these, i was expecting the worst.

previously had/have hd595.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi Jason,

I am a HD650 owner, I used a Beresford TC7510 with a Panda kit amp which I built.
Stan Beresford launched a new DAC recently, the Bushmaster at a reasonable price. I no longer use the 7510 or Panda.

The Bushmaster has made a noticeable difference (for the better) to my 650's

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/PP/DAC_with_TWIN_OPTICAL_26_TWIN_SPDIF_INPUT_2D_BLACK_FRONT.html

Beresford gets a bad rep on a lot of forums, I've dealt with him on a few occasions now, including just upgrading my Bushmaster to the latest spec.  Give him a call.
Before anyone says it, no I'm not connected with him in any way other than as a satisfied customer.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks for that Richard,

I have looked at the Bushmaster briefly in the past, however if I remember correctly this doesn't have the option for USB?

Regards
Jason

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 9
O2+ODAC is highly praised.

haven't tried one myself.

Just got HD650's too though, and driving them with uDAC2-hp

I have a RA1 clone 4556 cmoy in an altoid can made by ampedup77 on eBay on the way, should be good (made state-side, supposedly has that TI rail breaker).

It's a temporary fix with my uDAC2-hp til i probably just go O2+ODAC.

Gonna have to remember to turn the amp off when not in use, though. don't want to accidentally send some harmful dc charges to the headphones.

I hope having an amp super charges the sound. but im impressed how udac2 is alright with these, i was expecting the worst.

previously had/have hd595.

I'm currently using the uDAC2 and too be honest it doesn't do a bad job and that's why I am not rushing into anything else at the present time, but just putting the feelers out and seeing what's around.

I am looking at a Little Dot MkIII at the moment and initially I will just use the uDAC2 as the DAC section for the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back