New Alessandro MS Pro! Amp recommendations?
Aug 19, 2004 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

NKT

Head-Fier
Just purchased these babies here in Taiwan (visiting at the moment), and I'm so far really impressed with the overall sound. I'll post more as I break these in, but so far detail seems to be fairly close to my Ety 4p's, along with more air and richness to the sound. Finally decided on these after lurking here (and Shang-ti's enthusiastic posts helped too), and listening to senn 650's, audio-technica w1000's, and grado RS-1's at the store.

So, anyone with these phones care to suggest a possible amp to match? I've heard some good things about the singlepower ppx and mpx amps...anyone? Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 26
Welcome and sorry about your wallet! That's great that could could audition them against such great cans right in the store - that's something we can't do in the States! As for synergistic amps, I have a thread in the amp section asking the same question - it's looking like the Melos SHA and the Ear++ are getting some love there, as well as the Gilmore V2.

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 26
Many folks here praise for synergy of RS-1's/RA-1 combo, I wonder if MS Pro's can do the same.

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 26
I will recommend these with the Talisman T-3H amp.
I am not the only one with this cobo.
Snufkin and Tony Triple A have this one as well. There experinces are similar to mine.
Feel free to contact them and find out what they think

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 26
Thanks for the suggestions...the Talisman and gilmore both look like possible choices for me. Has anyone tried these with the singlepower mpx3 tube amp?

One other question... are there any options to make these cans a bit more comfortable? Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by NKT
Thanks for the suggestions...the Talisman and gilmore both look like possible choices for me. Has anyone tried these with the singlepower mpx3 tube amp?

One other question... are there any options to make these cans a bit more comfortable? Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

yep! the headband is a solid bar of metal - dont be shy with just bending it back!

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 26
Where in Taiwan exactly can you get them? City, Street, Street Number or area, store name, prices (especially of the MS-2)?

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate
Where in Taiwan exactly can you get them? City, Street, Street Number or area, store name, prices (especially of the MS-2)?

I think NKT will answer you properly, some info can be found also here: http://211.74.2.49/. I got MS-2's from them for 225 USD (w/o shipping).

Aug 20, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 26
The place I got them from is via Shang-ti's recommendation, http://www.hifi.com.tw
The address would be Chongqing South Rd., #59-2, 3rd floor.

It's a great little store, with a no-pressure atmosphere. I think they'll be willing to ship to US as well... Good luck!

Wow, thanks for the advice of bending the headband back. It really eases the pressure on the ears a lot!

Aug 20, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 26
Have you looked at the Woo Audio amplifiers?

www.wooaudio.com

Singlepower PPX3 is also a good amplifier

So are the Rudistor amplifiers (RP3/4/5/5cav)

I would stick with tube amplifiers. The PPX3 and Woo Audio are good choices - DEAD SILENT with the CD3000 (which is VERY difficult to achieve in a tube amplifier).

Cheers!

Aug 20, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 26
Hi dear NKT! Congratulation on your new babe and welcome to the Alessandro family of Head-Fi!
rs1smile.gif
icon10.gif
When exactly did you go to the store to buy the MSP's? I haven't visited the store since my last purchase of my MSP's and Rotel RCD 1072. How did you like the atomosphere of the store? They're the best known on the net for great customer service and freedom of auditioning for customers. You can even just visit them for a whole afternoon listening without having to buy anything. Just like at home.
smily_headphones1.gif
And they even have meetings every now and then with tea and cakes, really nice.
smily_headphones1.gif
Did you try out the ATH L3000's? Miss Hou let me listen to them last time and I felt MSP was clearly "more" detailed, natural and thorough sounding while the L3000's had better soundstage and sense of shape of instrument. Both of them were un-burned in.
For amp. I would suggest you to directly go for the best, Dr. Jan Meier's upcoming flagship amp. which is said to be even better than Prehead. Of course, if your wallet permits, though, LOL.

The MS-2's price is 7800 TWD and I remember currently 1 USD=34 TWD, if I recall correctly. They do ship to any other countries as long as it's possible. For the U.S. there is no problem at all and with EMS the total cost should be still lower than Alessandro's original price.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 26
I think it's because of the GDP of the U.S. is higher than Taiwan's. Many other foreign stuff are cheaper here too such like American games and they're completely originally imported. Doom 3 is only 30 USD here. Don't worry about the possibility of the headphones being not originally made. They're 100% pure blooded Alessandro headphones directly imported from Alessandro U.S.A.
smily_headphones1.gif
So are Grado's in Taiwan.

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 26
Hi there Shang-ti. I don't think I would have even considered the Alessandro mpro had it not been for your enthusiastism about it in your posts. The store is really very nice...it does not have the typical stuffy, snooty hi-end salon atmosphere where the dealers assess your net worth before you take two steps in the door.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's very casual and inviting, and the salespeople are all very enthusiastic about the products they sell. I listened to all the phones through an unfamiliar Onix cd player, and an LC King headphone amp, but even in an unfamiliar system the headphones each had distinct, clearly audible differences. I walked home with the MSPros because they pretty much did everything better than both the senn 650's and w1000's, and sounded more pleasing and natural to me than the rs-1's.

I can't wait to get these phones back home into my main rig (sony xa9000es player as source)!

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 26
Where are you from NKT, then?
rs1smile.gif
You should have auditioned the MSP and the other headphones with the Sugden Headmaster, which is a lot better than the LC King.
icon10.gif
LC King is actually rather a low end headphone amplifier. But no matter what, the choice of buying the MSP is the right choice!
tongue.gif
Maybe consider taking some good photos for it and share with us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back