New album review - Koi No Yokan by Deftones
Nov 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

morijinal

Head-Fier
Head-Fi'ers!

For those of you who appreciate rock/metal fusions I would like to introduce you to my favorite band, the Deftones. They came on to the scene in the early 90's, and have kept it original and fresh ever since. They never got a lot (if any) radio play, which speaks to the fact that they aren't really a pop band - which is a good thing. Flying a little under the radar (not much) has allowed them to experiment more with their sound, and to this day nobody really sounds like them. My wife even recognizes them instantly due to their mesh of bi-polar aggressive and soothing sound.

Now, on to the new CD. Only 2 years after their last release "Diamond Eyes", they have released "Koi No Yokan", which is, if I understand correctly, the Japanese version of the expression "love at first sight". The mood of the album is a little hard to describe. It's definitely Deftones, but it's traditional and experimental at the same time. While the Deftones have been known to stir it up a bit, they do so in a different way in this album. It is the direct descendant of "Diamond Eyes", which was as pure of a rock album that they have turned out since the 90's. Koi No Yokan takes that energy and adds a signature Deftones twist, making it a little bit less traditional rock, but still very much so a rock album. Here the Deftones use mood and tempo changes in order to create songs that are truly unique, being both beautiful and aggressive in the same song, and sometimes even at the same time.

The singer, Chino Moreno, is known for his eccentric, often abstract lyrics and versatile style. Often his songs seem to have meanings that only he truly understands, yet there are verses that appeal to the masses. For example, in one of the bands most experimental albums, White Pony, the second track (Digital Bath) is arguably one of their most popular and beautiful songs. The lyrics don't immediately make sense. When asked about the song, Chino admitted that he once thought it would be cool to throw an electrical appliance in the tub with a woman in it. It is an interesting fantasy to say the least, but even more interesting to think that he wrote a song about it. And yet even still more interesting to hear the mood of said song.

If you are interested, there are many free music subscription services that allow you to listen to this album, and millions more, such as MOG, Rdio, and Spotify. These all are paid services, but offer a generous amount of free plays every month. Between the three you could probably listen to about 10 albums every month without paying a dime. And, because I know you Head-fi'ers are a discerning bunch when it comes to audio quality, MOG streams everything at 320kbps mp3.

If you are interested in the Deftones, some good primer songs are:

Heavy - My own summer, Drive, You've seen the butcher, Headup, Elite

Soft - Digital Bath, Change, Tempest,

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 9
I prefer the simplistic approach they've gone for on this album. 

My interest in them waned somewhat after the self-titled album and Diamond Eyes in the 2000's after my love affair with White Pony; but has rekindled with this.
On hearing the flac version it quickly brought me back to the "around the fur" style aggression+calm merging, It's not my favourite, not for everyone but a welcome return to form (from me) for Chino and the gang.

not sure what my no.1 track would be on it yet!

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
I prefer the simplistic approach they've gone for on this album. 

My interest in them waned somewhat after the self-titled album and Diamond Eyes in the 2000's after my love affair with White Pony; but has rekindled with this.
On hearing the flac version it quickly brought me back to the "around the fur" style aggression+calm merging, It's not my favourite, not for everyone but a welcome return to form (from me) for Chino and the gang.

not sure what my no.1 track would be on it yet!

I have hard time finding a favorite, but my least is "swerve city". Favorites are Romantic Dreams, Rosemary, Poltergeist, Entombed

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 9
Rosemary - I love the transition and moody guitars followed by the mellow sections. An awesome return to  "Change (in the house of flies)" mixed with "Feiticeira" :D 

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Rosemary - I love the transition and moody guitars followed by the mellow sections. An awesome return to  "Change (in the house of flies)" mixed with "Feiticeira" :D 

I remember so vividly the first time I heard Feiticeria...It was 2000, I was driving down the highway on the way to crash a local motel hot-tub with some friends when my friend Jessie put it in the CD player. It was that moment I went from liking the Deftones to loving the Deftones. The energy of that song is so amazing, and the lyrics clicked with me.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm a long time Deftones fan.  Love the new album.  "Leathers" is my favorite now, but there isn't a bad song on it.  It's amazing Deftones are putting out this kind of quality music, over 17 years removed from the debut album.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I'm a long time Deftones fan.  Love the new album.  "Leathers" is my favorite now, but there isn't a bad song on it.  It's amazing Deftones are putting out this kind of quality music, over 17 years removed from the debut album.

Must sound pretty sick on those Grados!

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Must sound pretty sick on those Grados!

I actually hadn't listened to "Koi No Yokan" on the Grados.  I saw your post and thought it should be right in the Grado wheelhouse, so I gave it a try.  It did sound really good but I think it sounds even better on the HiFiMan HE-400's.  Both phones have tremendous energy.  Both phones are fast but the HE-400's are faster.  The Grado's are incredibly detailed but the HE-400's superior instrument separation yields even more detail to my ears.  The HE-400's win by a landslide with bass, sound-stage and just produce a more full satisfying sound.  However, the Grado's are a $100 cheaper than the HiFiMan's, so it's not really a fair fight.  The Grado's also don't require as much amplification as the HE-400's do.

But back to the Deftones.  I enjoyed your review and learned a lot about the band.  The new album is a BEAST.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 9
anyone listening to genre defining album by deftones -ohms, it's not for the faint hearted, but it's really awesome and focus, probably even surpasses white pony but it's rather unconventional

Users who are viewing this thread

Back