New AKG sound soo flat compared to my Shure in-ear ....
Dec 24, 2008 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

digitalfrog

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not a matter expert, so please forgive potential miss-conceptions in my message, if any.

I've been using Shure SE530 for some time now and loved the way they sound.
An ear infection later (may not be related, but it's NOT the debate here), a bit tired of fiddling with them all the time so they would stay put ...

...and I bought an AKG K 272 HD.

I wanted closed headphones to spare my girlfriend when I listen to music in bed, even though I knew the would not be silent.
Thanks to this forum, I also realised it often is more difficult to obtain excellent sound from closed headphones. But the 272 HD seem to be excellent from what I could read.

I also use an ipod, or a macbook. No (mini) amplifier.

The volume on the Ipod at 100% does not break my ears, as it would before. I guess it indeed needs much more power.

But the first reaction, after listening to some tracks I know well (mp3 320K) is: It's all sooooooooooooooo flat. I had a much better feel of the separation of the instruments, as well as their localization in space, with the Shure.

The bass is also lacking....

I just got the headphones, and I know they will get better with time as they 'break'. But I doubt it will change that much, or will it ?

Are my headphones under powered without a mini-amp ? I choose those AKG as I've read they were the best cans for an ipod without amp.

Or are the Shure so good that I will not find what I had with those AGKs or anything in the same price range ?

Feedback and advices welcome :)

Ralph

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 10
My AKG 272 changed significantly within 2 weeks and sounds great from my iPod.

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 10
I will echo the above...give them more burn in time before giving up on them. My 240's need more power than my other cans, but I can still power them sufficiently with my iPod. However the sound is a little less detailed/more laid back with less bass than my RP-21's which are killer cans, IMO.
http://www.myspace.com/lejaz

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 10
I had K271MKII which is the studio version of K272HD, it was a nice sounding one, if not the comfort issue, I wouldn't sold it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 10
These headphones are flat and lifeless, that's their sound signature.
Break-in doesn't help.

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I choose those AKG as I've read they were the best cans for an ipod without amp.

I would sell them and get the beyerdynamic DT250-80. These headphones are wonderfully suited to iPod listening without an auxiliary amp.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would sell them and get the beyerdynamic DT250-80. These headphones are wonderfully suited to iPod listening without an auxiliary amp.

I agree - and you likely won't feel that the bass is lean.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 10
They are growing on me, a few days later, and they got better already.... They sounded much better already on a full size amp, so I may get an FiiO just to see how it goes and eventually settle for a good portable DAC/AMP. Can't seem to find much shop selling those in the Netherlands though, so I guess I'll have to go the online route...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back