New! AKG K550 Unboxing Video
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #16 of 23
Highs a little artificial, but otherwise very balanced and clear. Very good sounding. Isolation just okay, better than the Denons, but not great. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
Highs a little artificial, but otherwise very balanced and clear. Very good sounding. Isolation just okay, better than the Denons, but not great. 

And sound leakage?

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #20 of 23
Initial impressions are very good.  I do wish the cups push in more to isolate better.  The overall sound is detailed and smooth.  I really love how it looks and build quality.  Stay tuned for a video review in a couple of weeks of head time.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 23
Got 'em.

Initial results are great!  The comfort is unrivaled in the closed-back arena, plenty of room for larger ears.  The tips of mine barely touch the driver foam, and even then, I feel no pain at all - these are the most comfy closed-cans I've ever worn.  I find the sound to be almost exactly like the open K702 in the highs and mids.  Expect vocals and instruments in those areas to almost have a thin-like feel to them, they don't sound full and heavy (my preferable sound) like the Crossfade LP's or the Pro700MK2's.  Bass is there, you can hear it and it is tight and goes fairly deep but doesn't pound.

However the bass feels just slightly above neutral to me, like the K702 with a +2 boost to all frequencies lower than 500Hz.  They are extremely clear right out of the box, and leakage is incredibly controlled.  It handles leakage of your tunes like a champ - I have it currently blasting right now stretched on the box they came in cooking them with Xzibit's "Hey Now" at around 112db in the cup - they emit a soft tone of the music - in fact they are almost neck and neck with the Pro700MK2's.

I'm going to start my own thread with these now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back