New Age Piano recommendations
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:
@ extrabgmehdi Yiruma is of a similar style, but with less repetition and more complexity/melody.

Thanks for the suggestion. But regarding complexity of that piano piece, you don't expect the music of a game to be too complex. Still strong in emotions despite the simplicity. Make me think of "Lettre à élise" by Beethoven.

What about other instrument than piano ? Hilary Stagg , Hiromitsu Agatsuma ,  Dante Bucci ....
Piano, is just too much .... mainstream.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 72
For other instruments:

With New Age harp music, I prefer John Doan over Hilary Stagg (not really comparable though as they have different styles, JD leans more towards Celtic). It is just my personal preferences.

With guitar music, I prefer Classical guitar (Julian Bream, John Williams, Christopher Parkening) over New Age works. Again, just my personal preferences.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #35 of 72
Not sure I would consider him 'New Age' but Olafur Arnalds definitely deserves to be mentioned in this thread.  If you like Dustin O'Halloran then check out Arnalds.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #38 of 72
Thanks zzffnn.  Been lurking here for years but haven't taken the time to post anything until today.  

Two other artists worth mentioning are Max Richter & Peter Broderick.  Both would be considered more along the ambient piano lines but they do tend to get grouped into classical piano quite a bit.  Either way both are very relaxing to listen to and sound very amazing and intimate on a nice pair of cans. 

Peter Broderick - Float
Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #40 of 72
Well, since you are still searching:

Wim Mertens
Rene Aubry

These are not 100% piano, but it would be a pity to not know them.

And during this period, the album "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi Trio has lot of success ,
sorry if it's more jazzy than new age.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #42 of 72
Nice thread. I'd add Peter Kater to the list. I especially enjoy his Native American-themed albums with R. Carlos Nakai (Honorable Sky and Through Windows & Walls come to mind), and his solo works show his diversity beyond Native motifs.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #43 of 72
Well, when I  think about it,
they are few titles from Yann Tiersen , on "Le fabuleux destin d'amélie poulain" soundtrack,
that are worth a listen:

Comptine d'un Autre Ete
Sur le fil

The whole soundtrack is not just piano, but I  could not imagine missing these.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #44 of 72
Quote:
Nice thread. I'd add Peter Kater to the list. I especially enjoy his Native American-themed albums with R. Carlos Nakai (Honorable Sky and Through Windows & Walls come to mind), and his solo works show his diversity beyond Native motifs.

^ Thanks Olias of Sunhillow. I like Peter Kater's Piano album (which is one of his very few solo albums).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back