New addition to my Sennheiser family. It just arrived!!! (56k warning)
Mar 23, 2006 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Visigodo

100+ Head-Fier
Well, it's here. It arrived!!!

I came home from the office, and had the box waiting for me by the door. I thought it was going to take longer (a week or so), but it only took two days. Ran upstairs to open the thing, just like a kid on Christmas morning.

I feel all tingly as I open the box!

SennRS140_11.jpg

There are lots of things in there.

Let's see, there is an AC converter, cables, batteries and adapters...

SennRS140_03.jpg

There's is also an RF transmitter... Boy oh boy! This is getting better!

SennRS140_05.jpg

And.... here they are! They are certainly Sennheiser, with the famous logo across the headband.

SennRS140_02.jpg

Please meet the WIRELESS SENNHEISER RS-140!!!

Quite the power cans! They feel great, extremely comfy. All about them exudes power and audio goodness.
They are nice, nice, nice! Luscious!

SennRS140_08.jpg

It's so damn beautiful! Love the look and feel of this thing!

I'm hooking up the RF kit, and off to see some action flicks on my DVD player, to test drive this new toy.

SennRS140_10.jpg

580smile.gif
Woooo hooooo!!!!

Well, I've been thinking about replacing my HD500 for a while with a wireless unit, so I can watch movies at night without bothering my neighbors or my girl when she sleeps, and without the limitations of wires getting in the way. So here's the RS-140. Soon I'll have to sell my HD500. They served me well for all these years...

Anyway, as I said, I'm off to test this super-toy. Will report some time soon...

icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 32
Of course, this means that I have spent A LOT already since I joined Head-Fi.

Seriously.

tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 32
Visigod, I live in Brooklyn as well and had to return my RS140 because all three channels at night picked up interference. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

I also really loved the way the RS140 headphone felt on my head. So I went corded a ordered the HD595. It should be here by Friday.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 32
i wish i knew about this forum about a year ago...i spent about $100 buying a wireless headset from Sony and the reception just sux. it says 100m (i think, through out the box) but you walk like 20m and it all you hear is static. Being the noob i was, it was "WOW!! Sony, they must be good...AND it's the last pair!!" while looking over at the Sennheiser's thinking "what no name brand is that??"
rolleyes.gif

congrats, i know your Senns sound alot better than my crappy Sony's...i'm so jealous
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 32
Unless you're really far from the audio source, why not just get a 3m extension cord? Then with most senns you'll have 6m of distance! That should be more than enough in most cases, and I dare say, the sound quality would be superior to RF.

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach
Unless you're really far from the audio source, why not just get a 3m extension cord? Then with most senns you'll have 6m of distance! That should be more than enough in most cases, and I dare say, the sound quality would be superior to RF.

And you'd have tons of messy wire everywhere. Lots of people go wireless because its just that, wire less. Not really because they go great distances away from their source. I've been looking at wireless for a long time just because they dont have a wire, even if at most i'll be is 10ft away from my source.

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
And you'd have tons of messy wire everywhere. Lots of people go wireless because its just that, wire less. Not really because they go great distances away from their source. I've been looking at wireless for a long time just because they dont have a wire, even if at most i'll be is 10ft away from my source.

exactly what i was thinking.

really looking forward to a review of these. as i've been looking for a some good "wireless" movie phones.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 32
I remember digging out my RS45 a couple of months ago because i wanted to be able to walk about the house again.

They lasted 5 minutes before they were unplugged and unceremoniously hurled back into the drawer, the sound quality was, lets say, not as good as i remembered it.

But then they were the bottom of the range model several years ago now.

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 32
Hmm. Reading what the guys at Headroom write about the RS-140, it seems to be about as good-sounding as the venerable HD201... maybe the RS-130 (open) would have been a better idea.

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 32
I currently have the rs130's but im not really in a position to comment about the sound since i have nothing overly good to compare them too. I am hoping my ms-1's that are on the way will take the sound quality another step up but who knows. As for interference i do get some hissing or static as i go upstairs but the range is very good if you can cope with some background noise. On quiet parts of the music this become more noticeable

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 32
OK, first impressions.

I didn't have a chance to play with this unit for a long time (barely tested it for about 40 minutes), but I expect to use it further tonight.

Overall: Very nice, extremely comfortable, very well designed unit. The headphone is completely closed (unlike other wireless models like the RS120 or RS130), so it isolates well any external sounds. The unit automatically searches for the best frequency and has all sorts of automated features that I will have to research further.

The left cup has the on/off button. The right cup has the volume, auto tune for RF frequencies and also a balance dial (in some RF frequencies one of the L-R channels may be stronger than the other. This feature comes in handy).

Another cool feature: if your turn off your audio source (receiver) and turn off the RF transmitter, but then you forget to turn off the headphone unit, a "beep-beep" alert will remind you to turn it off. Cool stuff.

Sound: very good, much better than the RS-120 (which I used before), with a deeper bass. It reminds me of the HD280, maybe because of the deep bass.

The unit works better when connected to an RCA output than when using the headphone jack adapter. For some reason, if you use the headphone jack it starts to distort on high volumes. The unit has a "compression" button that eliminates these distortions, but makes the sound equalization flatter. Still, using the RCA connection to the back of your receiver is the best and cleaner choice.

Wireless: I'm surprised at how good it is. From the room where I had the transmitter to the other end of the bulding there may be a good 60 ft., and the reception was still quite good. Every now and then you get a hiss or a popping noise, but this is common in every RF wireless headphone I ever used. The only time I got some interference was when I walked by a large electrical or magnetic device (a cathode tube TV, fridge). Still, those interferences were short and limited, and even from 60 feet away the reception was clean and clear (and as I said, with the eventual hiss or pop, every 5 or 10 minutes apart).

The RF transmitter has a hook wire where you place the headphones, and also recharges the batteries at the same time. Pretty neat feature that will save me a bundle on batteries.

Overall, two thumbs up. A happy camper!

icon10.gif

----

Users who are viewing this thread

Back