New 6.5G iPod.. What now?
Dec 6, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DarkScythe

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am about ready to purchase a new 6.5G iPod (120GB version) to replace my ailing 3G iPod. For the occasion, I am also replacing my earbuds. Thanks to suggestions here, I am currently listening to the Yuin PK2's, OK3's and OK2's in an attempt to figure out which suits me best. In addition to this, I figured I would make my first foray into amps as well. Being a complete noob, I wanted to spend as little as possible for now, just to get my feet (ears?) wet. I am testing out the Fiio E3 at the moment and have pre-ordered the E5.

Anyway, my question is, I have read some conflicting information about the iPod 6G's rather controversial Cirrus DAC, some saying it's good, some saying it's bad, and other conflicting reports about the quality of the HP out and Line Out.

First off, I don't think I would hear too much of a difference with a different DAC, seeing as I'm coming from a 3G iPod, but I'm not sure.
The bigger issue though, are the two outputs. Since I'll be using an amp (the E5, when it arrives) is the HP out "good enough" or "clean enough" for amping with? Or do I absolutely have to go through the line-out with an amp (and extra cost for an LOD here) to get a clean signal?

If I have to use the Line Out, what are some recommended LOD's that hopefully don't cost an arm and a leg? Off the top of my head, I can see two immediate options - one is to use something like the SendStation and simply use the included IC that comes with the E3/E5, but some people here claim the stock cable is utter crap, in which case it might be better to go to option #2 - buying some sort of LOD with the cable already attached to it, which also has the convenient side effect of having fewer cables that can fall out.

Sorry for the lengthy thread, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the response.

So I guess this mean using the line out is a requirement to using the amp? Anyone have any other opinions?

If I need to get an LOD though, what are some good suggestions for them? I did a quick search on ebay and turned up thousands of results, from some seemingly HK-bootlegs to stuff that seems overly expensive.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 6
having owned a 80GB classic for nearly a year now - I have to say that I love the Cirrus DAC's sound. I do not like the 5/5.5G sound signature as it sounds too warm and a little muffled. The Cirrus sounds much clearer and cleaner - if a little hollow and cold at times. The SQ pales in comparison to Creative's MuVo TX FM, but beats stuff like the Samsung K3 and Creative's Neeon2 player easily.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the comforting words about the Cirrus DAC, lol. Everyone's pessimistic view of it had me worried.

Anyway, I guess since no one here has even tried to mention anything about the headphone out, I assume using the line out is an absolute requirement..

I'll take a look at some of those brands, although head-fi'er qusp has offered to help me out as well if I want a custom built LOD, which I think I may go for.

My main concern with regards to the LOD, was whether I should just get a simple one like the sendstation and use whatever mini-to-mini cables I had lying around, or go for a "higher end" LOD with the wire integrated into the LOD itself. Really, I'd like it to be as portable as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back