New 580s
Jul 25, 2002 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received my 580s, they're breaking in as I speak. I listened a little bit so far.. they're quite comfortable (hooray!).

One surprising thing. I was expecting to have to turn up the volume considerably more than I do on my META42 when using the ETY 4s's. However, if I have to turn up the volume any more than I have the difference is tiny despite the 200 ohms difference in impedence.

Jul 26, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 5
When I first got my 580's, I thought they were unlistenable. They were just soooooooooooooooooooo bad. They sounded muffled, and tinny. Simply awful. I figured that I'd let them break in for a day or two before returning them just in case. After 24 hours of break in, it was like listening to a different set of headphones. After 48 hours of break in, it was absolute heaven! Smooth mids, beautiful highs without being bright or tinny, deep, yet accurate bass. I thought it was the ultimate ultimate until I heard the Orpheus... but that's a story for another day.

Jul 26, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 5
hmmm, your experiance is a lot different from mine. . .

my hd580s sounded great right out of the box. . . they only got better with time.

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm enjoying them now, but I do expect them to get better. They sound slightly muffled, and a bit too smooth. I'm using them at work and probably won't be able to burn them in that quickly, but I'll keep posting my comments. I'm just loving the comfort right now.

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Bifcake, your initial experiences of the 580's sounding muffled and tinny mirror my own, up to now.

I have had my 580's for about 6 months now, and have used them quite a lot, but I have not really given them a true break-in (max volume for 24 + hours). I am currently doing this to hopefully get the effect you describe as regards smooth mids highs and bass.

Thats my take on it any how, good luck with yours acs236
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back