New 325i style SR-60/SR-80s?
Feb 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #106 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, and 2 of these solder points end where? O right, in the same spot.

Well sort of. Instead of having the wire connect to a single spot on the pad the connection is now twice the surface area as before (2 wires soldered). Also, the area of connection to the 6.5 mm plug is also probably larger. From an inductance standpoint, there is certainly a benefit to doing it this way.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #107 of 122
Don't you actually make the chance of interference larger by enlarging the surface? (at least if you would keep the same insulation)

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #108 of 122
interesting...if i'm not mistaken, the extra wires would allow the Grados to go balanced by simply re-terminating the plug, rather than requiring a wholesale re-cable job.

with the proliferation of balanced gear, maybe Grado is paving the way for optional factory-direct balanced cabling.

as for the other changes, if Grado claims they are merely cosmetic, i'm inclined to believe them. these are tough economic times, and these alterations could simply be cost-cutting measures.

if actual improvements were made, i can't see what Grado would have to gain by concealing them.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #109 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is by no means a bad looking HP.

P2100002.jpg

Is that a third party headband?

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #110 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting...if i'm not mistaken, the extra wires would allow the Grados to go balanced by simply re-terminating the plug, rather than requiring a wholesale re-cable job.

with the proliferation of balanced gear, maybe Grado is paving the way for optional factory-direct balanced cabling.

as for the other changes, if Grado claims they are merely cosmetic, i'm inclined to believe them. these are tough economic times, and these alterations could simply be cost-cutting measures.

if actual improvements were made, i can't see what Grado would have to gain by concealing them.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, its 'almost' balanced, but almost is the same as not
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #112 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tell me again the advantage of balanced? I thought I once knew, but if I did I forgot.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #113 of 122
I was thinking of getting the SR80 that went on sale for about the same price as a retail SR60. But now i'm wondering whether to get the SR60i or the SR80 as both can be had for the same price at the moment.. What do you guys think?

Hi by the way xD

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #114 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by washa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of getting the SR80 that went on sale for about the same price as a retail SR60. But now i'm wondering whether to get the SR60i or the SR80 as both can be had for the same price at the moment.. What do you guys think?

I'd go for "i". Keep in mind that using bowls instead of comfies virtually turns SR60 into SR80.
Quote:

Hi by the way xD

Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #115 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go for "i". Keep in mind that using bowls instead of comfies virtually turns SR60 into SR80.

Not really..

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #116 of 122
A recent purchase of the GS1000 from StereotypeAudio in Canada turned out to be the GS1000i.

That's the only Grado on their site that requires a special order though, it was shipped from Quebec before it was dispatched to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ more pictures please!!

EDIT: I emailed the Canadian distributor and asked them about when will the new Grado line available, they replied:

"The answer is within 45 days."

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #117 of 122
Ah, thanks for the input Shoewreck, but I actually i just went ahead and bought the old SR80 from that sale. It was the bass that i was looking for in the Grado's and I figured that even if the SR60i did improve in sq, there probably wouldn't be much improvement in the bass. They would save that for the SR80i. This is what i was thinking anyway, but I could be wrong lol

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #118 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I read that the cable was only changed on a few of the new ones. I think I saw another picture of the new silver 325i's and they had the thinner cables like the goldies. I'm sure if Grado says it was all cosmetic.

I guess, but I still think they should change the model numbers. The SR-60 isn't an SR-60 anymore in my eyes. They should retire the name and change the numbers for a "new" Grado line. I think that would cause more "buzz" online and everywhere else.

I picked the the 325is and the differences are:
New and improved drivers
Cable is now twice as thick

Overall = better sounding headphones.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #119 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimspoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A recent purchase of the GS1000 from StereotypeAudio in Canada turned out to be the GS1000i.

That's the only Grado on their site that requires a special order though, it was shipped from Quebec before it was dispatched to me.

I've bought from these guys too in the past...great prices, awesome service and great customer support. I definitely recommend them!

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #120 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked the the 325is [snip]

Overall = better sounding headphones.

How so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back