New 24" Widescreen LCD :D
May 25, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paxonator
I'm running 2 Dell 21inchers just like your old one. how does the dell compare to it?

You mean the CRT? Or the 20.1" LCD?

The 2405fpw is far better in the crt in all aspects other than the crt can reproduce blacks better.

May 25, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
Maybe this would be an appropriate thread for this question...

I'm going to buy a computer soon, mainly for web browsing, music and movies. I'd rather have an all-in-one monitor solution for all applications, with an emphasis on the best view for movies. Do you think this monitor would be appropriate for those requirements? If not, what do you suggest?

P.S. I'm leaning towards a Mac Mini.

Thanks.

Based on my experience with the Samsung the Dell would be very good for movies in wide screen. Not the perfect aspect ratio but close. Also being able to have two big pages (or 4-5 small windows) open is very useful.

May 25, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 28
2005fpw (the 20.1" widescreen) is assembled in Mexico. Not sure about the 2405 (24" widescreen).

Either would probably be fantastic for movies. I watch DVDs all the time on my 2005fpw. Up close, you'll see some noise and grain because the monitor is a higher resolution than the DVD content. I normally watch at about 6-8 feet and it looks great. Haven't sat farther away because the room is small. I imagine it'd still look good, just smaller. This is less of an issue obviously if you go with the 24".

May 27, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
  1. The viewing angle SUCKS. It's so bad that when you're 2 feet away from it, the contrast around the edges of the monitor is visibly worse than at the center. Fortunately you can still see all the detail at extended viewing angles.. it just won't be at the sweet spot.
  2. There is a very noticable display lag with the monitor, around 2-3 frames, which is well above the stated 16ms latency. You may not want to buy this monitor if you're into FPS games. I keep a 17" CRT as a second monitor just in case the Dell doesn't cut the mustard.

Right on both counts. I was hoping to dispose of my monster 22", 75 pound CRT, but I'm keeping it for Unreal Tournament (only).

I picked up my 2405 for just over $800, including 2nd day air shipping, via a link on shacknews.

May 27, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #23 of 28
You my friend need to play Flightsim with those screens. I can just imagine flying over the Grand Canyon in my Cessna 172 when the lights are out.
tongue.gif

May 27, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #25 of 28
I've had no ghosting problems with the 2005fpw. Haven't sat in front of a 2405 yet though and I know it's a different panel, so I can't speak for that.

May 29, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
um... the rated responce time by dell is 12ms but they are conserative on that. The rating by samsung for this pannel in the LCD is only 8ms.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTL...1/LTM240M1.htm

I dont know how you guys can see ghosting. FPS games play flawlessly on mine...

I really wish I didn't see it, but I do...feels like I'm playing underwater. It's a pain keeping 2 monitors on the desk and shifting the keyboard around, but I won't compromise when it comes to accurate sniping in CTF!

May 31, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calanctus
I really wish I didn't see it, but I do...feels like I'm playing underwater. It's a pain keeping 2 monitors on the desk and shifting the keyboard around, but I won't compromise when it comes to accurate sniping in CTF!

Defective pannel perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back