New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Mar 7, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #661 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Damn I just don't know.

I think I'm going to order both, fully modded Zhaolu and stock DAC-AH and then decide between them. Eddie's price for Zhaolu is just so tempting.

EDIT:

DAC-AH ordered. Now I just have to wait for Eddio to contact me with the shipping costs so I can order Zhaolu also.
biggrin.gif

there's no contest here, the fully modded zhalou stomps the dac-ah. i sold my dac-ah after getting the zhalou.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #663 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by bulls
i just got my dac that my sister brought back from hk but it's 240v. what can i do

I'm assuming you're in the US, so you'll need a 110V -> 240V step-up transformer. Something like this should probably work (although I don't know how such a transformer will affect the sound of the DAC):

http://www.laptoptravel.com/Product.aspx?ID=2440

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #665 of 1,341
Anybody going to do any group buys? :Would this save on shipping?

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #667 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Anybody going to do any group buys? :Would this save on shipping?

certainly not a bad idea. i think zhaolu and friends are not so well prepared for a western flood of demand. we should talk to eddie about it, or better yet we should actually get in touch with the zhaolu manufactures themself! it seems no one yet has contacted the actual "zhaolu" makers?

personally, i doubt i'd want to wait for all the groupbuy rigamorole just for a bit less shipping costs; but if we could get all of the upgrades for a discount i'd be all for it

.........i think the truth is for something like this to fly we NEED someone who speaks chinese to do the leg-work of haggling, working out details, getting exact specs, all that. someone else could handle the hassle of having the dac's recieved themselves and shipping them out individually. but i'm a tad tired of having no communication with the manufacturer at all. if a chinese-speaking headfi'er would be willing to find out if we could buy directly from the manufacturer, i'd be interested. not to mention i think we'd all like more specs and details in english from the horse's mouth.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #668 of 1,341
Quote:

i just got my dac that my sister brought back from hk but it's 240v. what can i do

Sell it to some EU Head-Fi'er. Is it fully modded?

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #669 of 1,341
Quote:

i was wondering if i can use that but i thought it might add noise to the dac, but i guess it's better to use a transformer huh. thanks guys

I have a 240V version and am using a step up transformer similar to what roger wilco pointed out. No added noise and the added conditioning of the transformer does help. The zhaolu sounds pitch black and i dont hear any noise or hum. Hope this helps.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #670 of 1,341
One more fully modded Zhalou ordered, from Eddie!
Once it arrives and breaks in, I'll be comparing it with my current CD player, which does true 24/96 upsampling, with a 24/192 DAC of it's own.

Hey, what are people using for transports? I know that many sources state that the quality of the transport doesn't matter, if the signal gets buffered and reclocked at theDAC , but I've heard ppl say otherwise.

Spend $$$ on a transport or get a 5-disc carousel and sit back??

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #672 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
One more fully modded Zhalou ordered, from Eddie!
Once it arrives and breaks in, I'll be comparing it with my current CD player, which does true 24/96 upsampling, with a 24/192 DAC of it's own.

Hey, what are people using for transports? I know that many sources state that the quality of the transport doesn't matter, if the signal gets buffered and reclocked at theDAC , but I've heard ppl say otherwise.

Spend $$$ on a transport or get a 5-disc carousel and sit back??

I use a samsung DVD-HD 931.I purchased it off e-bay for a redicusly low price and had it sent to reference mods.All he did was mod it for transport use--made sure it had true 75ohm -installed a wbt nexgen for my coax connection and added an iec.Ran pure silver wire from the wbt to the motherboard.

Darn little player rocks as a transport.On top of everything it has the DCDi Faroudja chip for killer video.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #673 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
pc-audio is the future, you will be assimilated

I agree--i need to build me another pc that is WHISPER QUITE for my music room.Alot of my friends have gone the pc route for there playback on there highend systems.How times change.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #674 of 1,341
Am I allowed to ask a really dumb question? Sorry.
If it uses CS8414 as recevier chip that supports up to 96 kHz, why is it a 24/192 DAC?

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #675 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
Am I allowed to ask a really dumb question? Sorry.
If it uses CS8414 as recevier chip that supports up to 96 kHz, why is it a 24/192 DAC?

Because that is what lawrence had told me.There was very little info on this unit when i first started this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back