New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
Apr 5, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #1,006 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Indeed. But then again, we are comparing a $200 DAC to the "Benchmark" DAC1 .

Yes.

From a VDA-1/VAC-1 to the Benchmark DAC-1 the difference from a quick listen is subtle. From my Onkyo SE90-PCI to the VDA-1/VAC-1 is subtle. Subtle enough to be faintly heard at home, in a very quiet setting, if comparison is short term. I have even found that quick A/B switching has failed me on many occasions; however, the subtlety you find through quick A/B switching slowly manifests itself over long periods, and in my case, I started listening to the rig more and more (4-5 hours without break a day versus 2-3 hours, then break with the old DAC).

Could I have known that there'd be a difference just with a few minutes of switching? No. But you can't really experience source fatigue just by switching quickly. If you're expecting night and day differences from a quick listen, then you need to look upgrading elsewhere.

Quote:

people wouldnt get so defensive of their $975 dollar dacs and angry at Zhalou .. if the Zhalou didnt compare to something "higher and mightier".

Zhalou is seen as a threat to their integrity and purchase power. And soo... the banter continues.

No, it's fine if Ori and zdogg write a review based on their personal opinion. But you can imagine how annoying it gets when people start quoting the review as absolute fact, and the end-all. I mean, I've read some non-Zhaolu related threads where a poster would come in, bash the DAC-1 and recommend the Zhaolu based solely on Ori's review.

Besides, my DAC is not $975, why would I get defensive over something I don't own?

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #1,007 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
Ori and Roger and others, (dont feel like reading back) have comprared Zhalou to a variety of 700+ sources. read through the tons of pages.

So you're basing all things objective on two people's subjective opinion? A winner is you.

I'm out of here.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #1,008 of 1,341
90% of people here base purchase decision's on reviews made by other people. Using other peoples ears, and then decide for themselves. Not everyone can buy a dac1 to compare 24/7 for a week straight with every other source out there.

I purchased it off one guys review, Roger (when the first Zhaolu thread started). And Im enjoying it immensley... If I didnt enjoy it I would of sold it by now. Im not comparing it to a DAC1, everyone else tends to do that. I just feel its a great source. judge for yourselves.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #1,009 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
Im not comparing it to a DAC1, everyone else tends to do that. I just feel its a great source. judge for yourselves.

Then I misjudged you, and I am sorry.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #1,011 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
hungrych: if i asked you to **** off, would you be offended?

Doubt it, he doesn't care.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #1,012 of 1,341
Quote:

hungrych: if i asked you to **** off, would you be offended?

No, because THE INTERNETS IS BIG BUSINESS!
rolleyes.gif

Nice edit attempt.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #1,013 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Could I have known that there'd be a difference just with a few minutes of switching? No. But you can't really experience source fatigue just by switching quickly. If you're expecting night and day differences from a quick listen, then you need to look upgrading elsewhere.

So are you saying this is a universal truth?

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #1,014 of 1,341
Quote:

So are you saying this is a universal truth?

Should be obvious what I think it is.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #1,016 of 1,341
Quote:

Keep trying.

No.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #1,017 of 1,341
you are not your Zhalou.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #1,019 of 1,341
RogerWilco said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
What I like about this thread is how much ink is spilled by people who don't bother to listen for themselves to the DAC under discussion... Correct me if I'm wrong.
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=medium]NUFF SAID[/size]

Works both ways.

[size=xx-large]NUFF SAID!!!![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back