New 2018 Ipad headphone jack sound quality question
Apr 14, 2018 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone compared the new Ipad's headphone jack to either the 2017 pro 10.5 or 12.9 jacks? Which one is louder and/or sounds better to you?

I am asking this question since I am not really into portable amps. I don't like having to carry extra things around when I use my ipad.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Title edited.

I can connect the ipad to an outboard DAC and amp when I am at home especially when I am using hard to drive cans so it shouldn't matter which one I get for home use at the desk but what I am getting critical about is when I want to go out and about with iems or a campfire cascade.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Title edited.

I can connect the ipad to an outboard DAC and amp when I am at home especially when I am using hard to drive cans so it shouldn't matter which one I get for home use at the desk but what I am getting critical about is when I want to go out and about with iems or a campfire cascade.
I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and it sounds just perfect with most headphones, except multi-driver IEMs. I think the output impedance is likely too high. I have little reason to believe Apple would design a different headphone output for the new iPad; despite it being the “cheaper” model, the integrated DAC/headphone driver IC used in the expensive ones is already relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 6
Another reason I asked this was because I read somewhere that the Ipad pro has a louder jack than an iphone 6 I think it was. I just wanted to confirm that these models indeed have the same outputs in case I order them online and couldn't test them at a nearby store. The new 2018 Ipad is not available here in the Philippines as of now so I can't test it out yet.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Reviving the thread, is there someone who has personally tried both the ipad 2018 and the Pro? I'm really surprise with how good the sq is on the 2018, but there was another thread about how good the pro sound, can anyonr confirm if they have the same dac and if they sound the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back