New 2006 Total Bithead + Rechargeables -> K501/HD580?
Mar 27, 2006 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cclragnarok

100+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about buying a 2006 version Total Bithead. I would like to use rechageable batteries, but rechageables only have 1.2V instead of 1.5V. Would they be able to drive difficult-to-drive headphones like K501, K601, K701, HD580, HD600, or HD650?

I am most likely to use them with K501, K601, HD555, or HD595. Has anyone tried these combinations?

Lastly, should I expect the Total Bithead to sound better than a Echo Indigo DJ if I am only using HD555 or HD595 (50 Ohm versions)?

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 10
Can't speak for rechargeables, but with the lower powered USB funtion of the 2006 Total BitHead, there is plenty of volume on my 650s.

I would say, unless you are a very high volume metal head, you would be happy with the AirHead or BitHead.

If you are not using this unit with a computer though, I would opt for the AirHead, not the BitHead.

Can anyone confirm if the 2006 AirHeads run off of a wallwart? The old Airheads did, the BitHeads never did, and still dont.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
Can anyone confirm if the 2006 AirHeads run off of a wallwart? The old Airheads did, the BitHeads never did, and still dont.

Yes, they have a plug where there usb plug is on the bithead.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 10
I just got my TBH2006 and it seems great with the HD650s. And I haven't even moved the gain switch to high gain. It also isn't really burned in yet. But I am quite happy with it. I've run it both from USB (no batteries) and from my ipod (with batteries).

I haven't gotten rechargables (yet) - but my guess is that the amp runs fine off of 5v (which is what it gets off of USB), so it should be fine off of 5.2v (4*rechargeables) rather than 6v.

I am bummed that they didn't allow it to plug in a wall wart. Rechargeable are better than filling landfilss with akalines, but still a little inconvenient. It was almost enough to make me consider Jan Meier's Porta Corda USB instead. I know that some people hacked their old TBH's for wall warts - maybe i'll get brave and do the same some day.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the replies.
biggrin.gif

I listen to music mostly from my computer, so I would prefer to get the Bithead instead of the Airhead. I already have an Echo Indigo DJ though, so I don't know whether it would be worth it or not. I'd probably sell the Echo Indigo DJ if I buy the Bithead.

If the Bithead doesn't sound better at all with something like the HD595s, then I might just keep the Echo Indigo DJ and use it with the HD595s. On the other hand, if the Bithead is better even with HD595s, and is capable of driving the hard-to-drive headphones I listed, then it would probably be worth it to upgrade.

Four rechargeables actually give only 4.8V though, so I don't know whether that would be enough or not. I prefer not using the USB power since I think the USB power from my computer contains some noise.

Any more opinions?
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 10
I am using a 2006 BitHead from my USB and I do not notice any noise. That is the idea.....to place the soundcard outside the computer so you do not get the noise that is inside the computer....Hope this helps.....Rick

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 10
With the new Bithead, can you power the unit by USB (no batteries) and still use the line-in, ie, with an Ipod as the source? Or does USB-power require USB as the source?

Thanks,
George

Mar 28, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Yes you can still use the line in under USB power.

Great, thanks...now where is my wife...I've got some convincing to do!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back