New $180 Budget, Specifics, Something that will put Beats to SHAME!!!!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bassix

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I made a post earlier about me wanting m50's because my max budget was only $150, and I need new headphones. Well I'm stretching to $180, and I need a pair of any headphones $180 or less that are awesome. I was just insulted by someone wearing beats, saying that they are the greatest and are better than any other headphone out there. I wanted to punch them in the mouth, but I'd rather show them up. I've heard good quality, Beat's don't have them. I need something that will make him want to throw his Beats away.

Requirements:
Clear Mids, and highs
Punchy Bass that will knock your socks off
Comfy
Tight to the head is nice
Little sound leakage for in-class listening

I have heard SO MANY good things about ultrasones, but I have no clue what to get, best bass possible would be nice.

I used the search feature, but nobody explained my intense hatred for those fashion accessories, NOT HEADPHONES....fashion accessories >_<

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Not to preach, but perhaps re-evaluate your purchasing rationale. There's plenty of "Beats hate" threads already; do we really need another one? Really; it's just a headphone (and not to bring logic into what is likely a teenaged argument - but isn't buying a product to "show up" something essentially akin to making a fashion statement of your own? I mean really...don't worry about such things - you'll be happier overall). 

Anyways, to the advice! Ultrasone is popular with the basshead crowd; even their open headphones can boom. I find them all muddy though (but you can't afford anything I'd suggest to remedy that, nor could you use them in class). So what I'd suggest is looking at in-ears - there's lots of nice options for $100-$200 that are very good for portable use. If they're still in production, the Denon AH-C751 is a great choice (even for SRP at $199 - normally they should sell for less than that though); decent amount of isolation, very comfortable, and quite durable (mine have survived trains, planes, and automobiles). The Klipsch X10 is fairly well regarded too, but I've not heard them. Finally, a number of Ultimate Ears and Etymotic products generally drop into the sub-$200 price range from time to time (like the TripleFi 10). 

If you really want to lug around big, bulky, and easier-broken full-size headphones I'd look at studio monitors - Sennheiser (HD 280 or 380), Sony (V6), Beyerdynamic (DT770), Koss (MV1), pick your poison. Beyerdynamic will probably get you closest to the "boom boom bass" while Sony will probably get you closest to "flat" (without sounding "dead" at the same time). Koss gets you both a neck exercise and a lifetime warranty. 

If you want Ultrasone, the HFI-550 and HFI-780 are popular closed-back suggestions, the PRO900 is popular at a higher price point, the HFI-2400 is within your budget but open-backed (and I couldn't tell you how much they leak or don't leak; they didn't last very long). 

And you've already mentioned the M50s.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 7
I'd bet you could find a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80's for $180. They are a sweet pair of headphones that, while bassy, I feel they do pretty much everything well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back