New $100 or less IEM/Canalphones...
Mar 28, 2008 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking of upgrading my headphones, mainly because curiosity, and mainly because my XtremeMac FS1's feel like they're about to fall apart. So I've been thinking about changing it up and looking at a couple different IEM/Canalphones.

I've mainly listen to indie rock, rock pop, etc (Rock in general). I'm not a basshead, but I definitely would like a good quantity of bass. I'm currently using a Sony A818 (thanks to that other poll that I used) which I'm very happy with.

The two IEM's I'm looking at are the Klipsch Custom-1's and the JVC FX300's. I've read reviews, but I can't find a comparison of them, so I'm one again leaving it to the hands of you, the Head-Fi poster, to decide for me.

I am tempted just to buy another FS1's for cheap, and get Olive foamies to replace the crappy foamies that the headphones come with.

I am open to other ideas, but I please do not suggest the Mylar X3's and UM1's, I already own them (and they broke on me). :p

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about ER-6i?

X2. Consider adding that one to the poll, and it's sure to rack up some votes.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 9
You're probably the first person I've recommended the Klipsch Custom-1s to. I own them myself and see them fitting the sound signature you're looking for quite well. Be warned they might take a day to warm up to, but I like them quite well now. I have to turn one of the tips sideways (they're oval so there is a specific orientation) but once I've done that I always get a good seal and they're fairly comfortable. I also use an in-line volume control just because these are quite sensitive, but those are cheap and easy to find. Overall they could be a good choice for you.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 9
The Denon canalphones sound amazing with the Sony. The C700 is phenomenal, but is out of your price range $169. It's little brother is great too and is on a big sael at Amazon for $65.80. It is a MUCH better option then the ones you haev listed.

Denon AH-C551

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon canalphones sound amazing with the Sony. The C700 is phenomenal, but is out of your price range $169. It's little brother is great too and is on a big sael at Amazon for $65.80. It is a MUCH better option then the ones you haev listed.

Denon AH-C551

I agree completely. I have C551s which I use with my A818, and the sound is amazing. Great bass response (I usually keep the EQ completely flat, any Clear Bass is simply not needed), and the mids/highs are clear and satisfying. Probably even better with the C700s, but everything seems very clear and detailed with the C551s. Blows every other phone I've ever owned out of the water in every aspect.
The build quality is also awesome, with their aluminium housing, which BTW doesn't make them heavy at all. They're actually very comfortable.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 9
little of topic, but i will give it a shot anyhow.

If the FS1 do breakdown, would you mind to prior it open and put photo's up of it's innerds? The FS1 use the MG5 driver from future sonics and i am/was always wondering if it was something truely different ore just some marketing BS.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back