Nevermind
Mar 16, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Calexico

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't have funds for this venture anymore, but the help is appreciated and once I get some more money I'll keep it in mind.

I'm looking for computer speakers to run from my iMac (current gen)'s headphone out. I'm not sure how speaker placement works exactly, but I'd like the speakers to be pretty flexible with where I place them, and still sound good.

Most important for me are mids. I want them to be smooth and forward. The treble shouldn't be rolled off. I'd prefer relatively neutral bass, slightly boosted or slightly rolled off are both acceptable though.

My brother has Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I used to really like them, but after receiving my Grado SR60i's, they aren't really very impressive. They seem to be recommended relatively often here (as in like three times since 2002) I'd like something noticeably better.

And a question for those who make recommendations: How would the speakers you recommend compare to the Grado SR60(i).

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 16
Acculaine A1 for Grado sounding speakers.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I buy them? Google search comes up with audioinsider, but they don't sell them. Nothing on ebay or Amazon.

Swan D1080MkII
What is your opinion on these? 50% off seems nice.

I've heard that those are pretty good. I think there's been cheaper on that before though.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 16
Oh wow! The Acculaine speakers finally sold out. I wonder what they are cooking up now... or maybe they are filing for bankruptcy lol.

I have the D1080MKII. They are good. But you will want a subwoofer to go with them. I am using these and the ESW-8 on my LAN setup as a portable stereo system. Relatively laid back compared to Grados, but I think it hits a nice balance in speed versus laid back.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 16
How are you connecting the esw-8 to your swans?

edit: to answer to OP's question, go to craigslist and search for swan, krk, mackie, m-audio etc. put $150 as the max price if you don't mind getting used and getting a better speaker for the price.

I personally have the M audio BX5a's stole errr bought for $50 used. Before that I've had M Audio AV40 ~130 shipped from Amazon.

Consider getting stands to elevate the tweeters to ear level, you will hear a HUGE difference in soundstage, and also to tilt them inwards facing you.

Wood Technology FGH-8-E - Solid Hardwood Ebony FGH Series 8" Speaker Stands

I have the above stands for my BX5a's.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 16
While on this topic, what are good small subs for multimedia setups.
I have a pair of A2's and want to buy a sub for under 150$ to go along with them.
I was thinking of the Dayton ES8 Elite, esw-8(does it have rca line outs?), or something along those lines. Any suggestions? The sub will be used almost 95% for music listening while on the computer.
Thanks

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you connecting the esw-8 to your swans?

edit: to answer to OP's question, go to craigslist and search for swan, krk, mackie, m-audio etc. put $150 as the max price if you don't mind getting used and getting a better speaker for the price.

I personally have the M audio BX5a's stole errr bought for $50 used. Before that I've had M Audio AV40 ~130 shipped from Amazon.

Consider getting stands to elevate the tweeters to ear level, you will hear a HUGE difference in soundstage, and also to tilt them inwards facing you.

Wood Technology FGH-8-E - Solid Hardwood Ebony FGH Series 8" Speaker Stands

I have the above stands for my BX5a's.

I ain't? I connect Swans and Energy to my mobo and set the settings as headphones. Works like a charm. I want to get a Prelude soon for my LAN setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnitedEar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While on this topic, what are good small subs for multimedia setups.
I have a pair of A2's and want to buy a sub for under 150$ to go along with them.
I was thinking of the Dayton ES8 Elite, esw-8(does it have rca line outs?), or something along those lines. Any suggestions? The sub will be used almost 95% for music listening while on the computer.
Thanks

Yes, ESW-8 has RCA outs. I think the ESW-8 work great. I got one while making my friend's LAN setup and also got him the A2. They work well together after some calibration.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ain't? I connect Swans and Energy to my mobo and set the settings as headphones. Works like a charm. I want to get a Prelude soon for my LAN setup.

Can you elaborate on this?

Are you connecting the line out to the speaker input and the sub-out to the sub?

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 16
Er... there's no such thing on my onboard audio (7.1 capable). It's just a bunch of TSR outs (technically, I guess it's all line-outs). But, because I have the software for my onboard audio chip, I can set the settings as headphones and have the frequencies come out correctly, automatically.

It's two TSR to RCA cables going from (TSR) mobo to (RCA) speakers and sub. ESW-8 has the sub-in that I can connect the RCA to.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 16
I would recommend to get a used pair of A2s but these things have not much bass if you compare them to klipsch promedia 2.1. I actually went from klipsch promedia to A2s and very happy with them.

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 16
I use a set of 2.1 Klipsch PC speakers and they sound pretty good. I don't remember the model number though.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Acculine is putting out some new speakers (more expensive) in a couple months (?). See if you can get them b stock with a vintage amp and you are good to go. The A2's are also very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back