Never used a headphone before - help me out
Sep 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ickle97116084

New Head-Fier
So this is my first headphone post - I am a noob and may ask silly questions but bare with me.

I have a small head so after trying on a pair of Grado SR80s I realised I didnt like the fit but loved the sound. I also tried on a pair of Sennheisser HD 25-SP iis and liked the sound too although felt there was a little too much overemphsis on the bass compared to the Grados. SO I like bass but true bass not bass thats been fiddled with in any way.

I listen too a lot of acoustic work i.e. live performances and prefer rock or alternative metal (not the hard stuff), i.e. easy on the ear rock. My current favourite band (for now) is dashboard confessional. So now you have an idea of my music tastes maybe you can help me choose a pair of headphones.

I would like a pair of headphones for 3 reasons:
1) Listening to the TV at home while my wife is playing the PC or my 6 month old daughter is sleeping (closed back is an option but I would consider semi-open backed too).
2) Playing the PC
3) Listening to my IPOD

Currently I use a pair of SE310s for portable listening, I find them very detailed and love the instrument separation. I have purchased an FIIO E5 and I should receive it in a few days. So I will soon have an amp.

I live in Edinburgh and will be planning on spending around £150-200 depending on my families generosity on my coming 30th birthday.

Given these requirements please help me choose a pair of headphones.

Ickle
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, being a Grado man, I'm biased, but since you state that you like rock I'm going to say that those SR-80's or--one better--the nearly-the-same price Alessandro MS-1i's are the way to go! Grados are amazing for rock, especially. They are also very affordable at around 60 pounds ($100-110 US for the Alessandros). If you have a smaller head, that's fine. All you have to do is gently bend the headband (yours and not the store's demo, of course) to fit and... voila! Many people do this. The most important thing is that you like the sound, as this will be the deal breaker and what will decide if you end up enjoying these long-term. Alessandro (also made by Grado; looks nearly indentical in all respects) is a slightly more-neutral 'phone that is a touch less bright than the Grados. The MS-1(i)'s are certainly a bit more refined than the SR-80's. You can also get them shipped anywhere for free on the Alessandro site. Welcome to Head-fi!

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 10
I second the Alessandro's.
Stretching a little bit your (or your family's) budget, you could go for MS2i's, which could be 'definitive' headphones -well, ok, we all say that until we fall in love with a new model, but...

If I don't go wrong, 200 pounds should be a little bit more than 300USD.
MS2i's cost 299$ shipped worldwide, so you should just pay taxes.

Alessandro High-End Products

ciao
daniele

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 10
If you find the fit on the SR80s to be a problem, then getting larger, heavier grados and alessandros won't help at all. Remember: You can't enjoy the sound quality if the headphones are uncomfortable.
wink.gif

I'd actually suggest trying out a denon D2000, used if the new price in europe is too high. D2000s are really comfy.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't know, EugeneK... there are so many options for getting a better fit with Grados. Bending the headband as previously mentioned and trying out new pads are obvious, effective options. HD414 pads seem to be a pretty good fix if bowls give you trouble. The comfies that come with the lower-end models [MS-1(i)'s included] are also very nice. Mind you, if supraaural headphones [vs. circumaural, which completely enclose the ear instead of sitting on it (explained for ickle97116084's benefit)] are not your thing, then you will never be happy. Then Denons seem like a good option. How difficult are the D2000's to drive/what is their resistance rating, out of curiosity?

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 10
I can drive my D2000s with my sony A729 mp3walkman - so they're pretty easy to drive.

And yeah, I have an issue with supraaural headphones, Circumaural is much more comfy for me. I found that out pretty early with my MS-2s (my first cans), which I could not wear for more than 1 hour at a time without getting pretty sore ears. The K701 and HD800 replacements I can wear for up to 7 hours before getting hungry and having to get up.

It doesn't really matter how good a headphone sounds, if it isn't comfortable for you.
smily_headphones1.gif
A headphone's first job is to stay on your head. hehe.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Fit and comfort are surely at the top of anyones list when they are willing to spend upwards of £150 ($200$) on a pair of headphones. I would hate to spend this amount of money to be unhappy with the headphones!

I would like to stress I liked the sound of the SR80s but fit was certainly a negative point as the felt loose and I kept pushing the earcups up when I tested them.

I loved the sound quality though very clear and each instrument felt seperate, with my Shures and IPOD (even with a FIIO e5) I can still feel like the artists are huddled together while playing.

Is there an earphone out there that is designed with midgets in mind that are of a top spec. I would also like to audition the earphones before buying them.

Cheers,

Ickle
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 10
Another vote for the MS1....MUCH better than an SR80 for only $100 delivered.

You can reshape the headband AND pad it with a headband pad. I remember hearing that there is a Sennheiser pad that will work well.

BTW, My wife has a head that is much smaller than mine. She has reshaped MS1 cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back