Never thought I'd say this but my MS1's...
Dec 7, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sithompson

100+ Head-Fier
... are really shrill.

I've been listening exclusively to my K701's since they arrived a couple of weeks ago and I put on the MS1's this evening and I took them straight off again. It was painful. I've given the MS1's an hour or so tonight but I've gone back to the 701's but I don't think they are prefect either - they are good I'll grant you. I'll see how they perform should DHL ever decide to deliver my new Little Dot mk3. It was dispatched from Hong Kong on Friday and arrived in the UK on Saturday, but DHL can't find my address and is likely not to be dispatched again from the local depot until Tuesday. So annoyed with DHL.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 13
I had the MS1's and sold them cause no matter what, they hurt. I burned them in for more than 40 hours and still no good. They had a really great sound but like you said, way too shrill. I was sad cause I had high hopes for them.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 13
What pads are you using? If you're using comfies, get bowls. If you're using bowls, get flats. I remember when I owned the SR-80's, I loved them once I put flats on them because they were a little bright (although the SR-80i's aren't bright at all with bowls...they somehow fixed that problem). After all, they originally came with flats.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 13
Comfies attenuate that treble the most in my experience. In order of bright to less bright (though still bright IMO).

Bowls>Flats>Comfies.

Even with the comfies I can't take the Grado treble anymore (I can only imagine the Alessandro's are similar).

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 13
I just got bowls for my 125s and I noticed that treble seems a bit higher than usual. I may go back to comfies. I'm going to ride this experiment out. Disclaimer: I like bright sounding headphones.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 13
Don't find them shrill at all really. Using quarter modded comfies.

If I ever have to take them off, it's because they've been on for 2+ hours and the pads hurt my ears. Not the sound being too bright.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got bowls for my 125s and I noticed that treble seems a bit higher than usual. I may go back to comfies. I'm going to ride this experiment out. Disclaimer: I like bright sounding headphones.

And that is a good point....you LIKE bright sounding headphones. In my case it may just be that I don't. My Alessandro's were my very first pair of real headphones and perhaps I found right off the bat that bright phones were not my cup of tea. I did use them with comfies and that is it. Perhaps some day I will try them again just to be fair or maybe a higher end set.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #9 of 13
I really like the MS1's and I was surprised to hear what I did. I've been using reversed HD414 pads and I've gone back to stock HD414 and I'll see how these sound.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't find them shrill at all really.

agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I ever have to take them off, it's because they've been on for 2+ hours and the pads hurt my ears. Not the sound being too bright.

agree also.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 13
I sold my MS-1i's because they weren't bright enough. Much prefer my 80i's with bowls.Must be your gear or my ears!!!!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back