(never thought i'd say this, but) Kind of Overwhelmed by Budget Planar options
May 4, 2020 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

GravityEyelids

100+ Head-Fier
So i'd like to give planar a shot. In part because I feel like they'd be one of the only things that could be different enough from my TH-X00 and 6XX and balance them out.

I've heard a couple planars in passing, but it's been long enough to where I can't recall much about them. A few things about my preferences: i'm very treble sensitive and generally prefer a warm sound. Don't know if i'd consider myself a basshead, but I almost never find a [good] set of cans where i complain there is too much bass, especially for stuff like Hip Hop, synth pop, industrial, electronic, etc. The genres I listen to are all over the place. Pretty much everything except classical and country. Mainly 60's/70's rock and blues, 90's alternative/grunge/indie, some modern indie (think tame impala or modest mouse type stuff i guess), quite a bit of Jazz (more cool stuff rather than bebop), any blues guitar, a lot of really heavy fuzzy rock (smashing pumpkins), dream pop/shoegaze, some metal, some singer-songwriter acoustic stuff, NiN type electronic/industrial stuff, ambient and minimalism, and a good bit of hiphop, although that tends to be reserved for mobile and my TH-X00.

Bass is important, but from my understanding, with planar you sacrifice some extension for flat, accurate, nice bass response? Would love crazy bass, but i'm okay with this, esp since i have my TH-X00. I don't care about accuracy as long as it's musical and enjoyable.

I'll probably just have to blind buy a pair to see if i can get on board with the planar sound (not even sure how much it differs from the dynamic tbh).

My budget is a hard cap at about $250 used. PLEASE PLEASE do not assume I can stretch my budget and start offering my $350+ options as if they are within budget. I am saying $250, which means that i am much more comfortable spending closer to $150 and would prefer that, but am willing to go a bit above $200.

Here are some of the options i'm looking at:

• Monoprice M560/1060
  • Dekoni Blue (or any variation of the T50rp's. Seems like Dekoni is best for the price for my preferred sound signature)
  • Hifiman Sundara (USED) (these look like an amazing choice, however people have complained about the build, and the lack of bass extension and maybe sharp treble might not agree with me)
  • Hifiman HE4xx (honestly the Sundara is probably a much better option, just throwing this in there because it's within budget)

Thanks!

May 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 15
I just picked up the 4xx. I am coming from the shp9500s and k240s. I am loving it! They don’t have the bass that the 9500 have, but it is there and ccccccleaaaan! I feel the most prominent sound are the mids, I’m hearing stuff I’ve never heard before. It is a whole new listening experience. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have a hearing impairment, so I have to use a eq to get the frequencies that I can’t hear up. That being said, I don’t have to boost nearly as much with the 4xx, in fact, I find myself actually reducing some frequencies. I use the 4xx in conjunction with either a schiit magni heresy or a topping nx3s with a ne5532 opamp.

May 5, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 15
I would also suggest the 4xx. I had them for a while before I got the Aryas and I do miss the 4xx sound at times even though they are in a totally different category. The 4xx was more relaxing and warm to listen to. The Aryas you hear EVERYTHING. I am not complaining at all about that but sometimes you don't need all of that information.
Please please do not get the Dekoni Blues. My wife has them and I had the Argons and there were no comparison.
The Argons can easily be found used in your price range. They are not as musical as the 4xx but if you are looking for low end. Then my vote is Argons

May 5, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Or what he said ^. Also a great option.

May 5, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 15
I would also suggest the 4xx. I had them for a while before I got the Aryas and I do miss the 4xx sound at times even though they are in a totally different category. The 4xx was more relaxing and warm to listen to. The Aryas you hear EVERYTHING. I am not complaining at all about that but sometimes you don't need all of that information.
Please please do not get the Dekoni Blues. My wife has them and I had the Argons and there were no comparison.
The Argons can easily be found used in your price range. They are not as musical as the 4xx but if you are looking for low end. Then my vote is Argons

Yeah 4XX is definitely an option. Relaxing and warm sounds great and is up my alley (the 6xx are those things but sometimes i wish it were "wider" and better for aggressive music and had more low end) .My main concern is people have said the weak point is treble spikes or harsh highs. I'm SUPER sensitive to too much treble and that's the quickest way to kill a headphone for me. If something is too bright or has treble that doesn't agree with me, i can barely wear it for 5-10 mins at a reasonably loud volume before it hurts and i have to take it off. Even the TH-X00 was pretty unbearable until i put like 2-3 ply of toilet paper in front of the driver.

Yeah i'll check out the Argons. They are quite a bit more than the Dekoni blue, and i have heard only amazing stuff about the Dekoni, but it might be worth it to save up a bit more for the Argon and ultimately be happier. Thanks

May 5, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 15
I wouldn't call the 4xx warm and relaxing at all, or at least in comparison to the 6xx senn's. The 4xx is a great set of cans for the money; fast, clean, open... I use mine mostly in the bedroom with an Asgard 2. Great pairing for under $300.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 15
I wouldn't call the 4xx warm and relaxing at all, or at least in comparison to the 6xx senn's. The 4xx is a great set of cans for the money; fast, clean, open... I use mine mostly in the bedroom with an Asgard 2. Great pairing for under $300.

I don't totally need warm and relaxing, i actually do need something that can do heavier music and metal, which the 6XX don't do for me. it's just that i'm so adverse to bright stuff that if i just ask for "normal" sounding cans, a lot of what people will recommend will still end up being too bright and sibilant for me. 4xx sound like a great option. Pretty soon here i'll have an entire massdrop collection.

May 6, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 15
find a used mrspeaker Alpha Prime

Not to be rude, but my budget is very clearly laid out in the post and these are like twice what i'm willing to spend.

May 6, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #10 of 15
I found 6XX to be technical superior. 4XX had a dull response with low separation and resolution in comparison.

It makes better sense to go for a Sundara if going for planar sound, although I would always advocate used HE500 over those.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 15
I bought a used Sundara which I had to return, because it starts to have static noise and volume difference between left and right, after listening for 2 hours or more. The issue goes away if I give a little "rest", but it comes back again after 2 hours listening.
Sundara is a great headphone imo, even at its original $500 price. Maybe there's a reason why people might want to let go such a good one. But if you are lucky, $250 for an issue-free Sundara is a very, very good deal.
As for the treble, yes Sundara sounds a bit sharp, but it also responds very well to EQ.

Also you may need an amp since most planars requires power to drive. For example, although you can make Sundara loud enough with a smartphone if you turn the volume all the way up, but it may sound a bit harsh.
If you don't have an amp and would like to keep it under $250 with both the headphone and the amp, 4xx might be the only choice.

May 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 15
Brainwavz Alara is close to your budget I think they are going for like $279 now . It is a good sounding planar that is fairly easy to drive they are a bit on the heavier side of some as for the metal construction of the cups but are a pretty comfortable headphone as weight doesn’t bother me much for any headphone.
The HE-500 sometimes can be found in your budget range and they are a fantastic planar but I think require a amp to really get the most out of them.

May 8, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 15
I found 6XX to be technical superior. 4XX had a dull response with low separation and resolution in comparison.

It makes better sense to go for a Sundara if going for planar sound, although I would always advocate used HE500 over those.

I agree with you in that I too found the 6xx to be all round more pleasing and technical superior. I've got those in my office setup running fully balanced from my dac to the Schiit Jotunheim. Scary good for the money.

May 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 15
I insist you try the M1060C. They're currently $250 new on Amazon. I don't know whether you saw my nearly identical thread, but I just got a set 2 weeks ago. At the risk of overstating things and giving in to honeymoon sentiment, they have changed how I think about headphones. So luxurious, with the most punchy impactful low end I've heard, not at all harsh, and perhaps the best part: CLEAN. I would never have guessed that performance like this could be had for under $300.

This is my first real experience with planars, so I don't know whether the thrill I'm feeling has to do with planars in general or the 1060C specifically, but either way I feel really great about my choice and my decision to finally dip my toe in the planars realm. I literally can't stop listening to these stupid things (despite also owning Focal Clear, HD600 and Meze 99). In fact, I occasionally swap in my Clears to make sure they sound better, and they do, but not by much.

Yes, the headband is utterly terrible, comically even. But if that's the reason they can charge so little then I'm totally fine with it.

Feel free to ask me anything you like. But I cannot compare to any of the other sets you're considering, sorry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back