Never owned a record player... recommendations appreciated!
Jun 25, 2003 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

pikawel

500+ Head-Fier
I picked up a bunch of the Who's records for a quarter a pop and that's worth it enough for me to buy a player. I know the scratching legacy that the Technics SL1200 MK2 holds but does it make an all around quality player as well? I'm looking to drop about $300 on what will be my first record player. Whatever it is that I get, I doubt it'll see speakers for at least two years... we're talkin' headphones only here.

I guess in my dreamworld, I see a a record player (with any Who album) -> Maxed out META -> hmm... RS-1's, SR-325's... something rock sexy.

I appreciate ANY input! Thanks!

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 24
Pikawel,

PM either Tuberoller or Hirsch if you don't get any good replies. Also, doesn't someone from HeadRoom now have their own Vinyl Junkie store or something??

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 24
I've heard the technics can make a great audiophile turntable with the tonarm mods from kabusa.com. Never tried it myself though.

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by pikawel
I picked up a bunch of the Who's records for a quarter a pop and that's worth it enough for me to buy a player. I know the scratching legacy that the Technics SL1200 MK2 holds but does it make an all around quality player as well? I'm looking to drop about $300 on what will be my first record player. Whatever it is that I get, I doubt it'll see speakers for at least two years... we're talkin' headphones only here.

You're not going to get any respect from audiophiles by owening sl1200. but, i like 'em. It can sound good with a decent arm and a cart. They rock.
I see now they have the Mk5 version.
biggrin.gif

Rega P3 would be a good entry level turn table or if you could find it, old Thorens are excellent as well.
Rega Reserach

Jun 25, 2003 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 24
I would step up a little and get a Music Hall MMF 5.
I am shootin a bit higher, but with the 5, lotsa bang for the buck!
md

Jun 25, 2003 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 24
I'll look into all of these options. What's the going price on a Rega P3? I saw it comes in all kinds of swank colors... I mean, I want what sounds best...

Jun 25, 2003 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 24
The Rega P3 I think retails for about $750 with the RB 250? tone arm.
Dude, you are entering a whole new dimension, a dimension of tonearms, dampening, and cartidges, both moving coil and moving magnet. Will this phono preamp work like this other phono pre? Ask yourself: are your records really clean?
The sign post up ahead! you are now entering the "Vinyl Zone."

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 24
The Rega P3 is going to be more than $300. Even used, it's more in the $500 range. Also, you'll need a phono stage and cartridge. Also, I'm pretty sure that the the P3 and Planar 3's comes with the RB300 tonearm and not the RB250... once in a while, you'll see a P3 with a RB250, but it's usually a modded arm and is a going to be a higher price.

I'd try to find a used Rega Planar 2 (sorry, you'll have to paint the plinth yourself if you want the swank colors!). The older ones go for right about $300- that may or may not include a cartridge. The Music Hall and Sumiko's are decent entry level tables, but I feel the top end of the Rega arms is much better than the top end of the sumiko arms. Unfortunately, the P2 has no bass, so if you like bass, that's not the table for you.

Sorry, but I think you're going to have to jump up a notch in your budget if you're looking for a decent analog rig. As much as I am a supporter of analog, it may not be worth getting into if you don't already have a record collection. This may be a case where you get much more enjoyment spending the $300 on CD's vs. trying to build a low end analog rig.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
The Rega P3 I think retails for about $750 with the RB 250? tone arm.
Dude, you are entering a whole new dimension,

Opps. I was thinking usd prices! ( you can get it under 500$ ) and don't have to futz with tone arm and stuff. They have P2, too. but, i haven't heard it. Rega table is fun.

I am telling you..SL1200 and get a decent arm you don't have to futz and get a good tune.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

a dimension of tonearms, dampening, and cartidges, both moving coil and moving magnet. Will this phono preamp work like this other phono pre? Ask yourself: are your records really clean?

yeah.. that's why i don't care for ultra-hi-end finicky turn tables. they are pain in the butt to operate and maintain. And most of 'em don't have an auto-return!
biggrin.gif

If you have a tendency to futz, analogue stuff can take over your life. That's why I like set-and-forget tables you don't have to *think* to listen to a fregging record.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by drewski
This may be a case where you get much more enjoyment spending the $300 on CD's vs. trying to build a low end analog rig.

Dunno.. even low end analogue rigs would have much better chance sounding like music than the same amount spent on a digital rig.

Jun 25, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by drewski
Sorry, but I think you're going to have to jump up a notch in your budget if you're looking for a decent analog rig. As much as I am a supporter of analog, it may not be worth getting into if you don't already have a record collection. This may be a case where you get much more enjoyment spending the $300 on CD's vs. trying to build a low end analog rig.

Ahh, what the hell, I've got all the time in the world. I'll wait a few months. I definitely don't need anymore CD's... I think I own about 500... Well, ok, maybe I'll do BMG another time.

<opens BMG thread>

Jun 25, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 24
Yeah, I'm afraid I'd agree that with a budget of 300 for table, arm, cartridge, and phono stage, you'd probably be better off upgrading your cdp. But if you want to just have fun buying really cheap vinyl and aren't looking for great sound, then you'll be fine with a cheap, new MMF or even a RatShack record player (my Mom has one and it does play music OK...).

Welcome to Team Vinyl!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 24
Understand what you're getting into with a turntable - the Rega P3, a phono stage (need a decent one and not the one in your receiver), a good arm (fortunately the P3 comes with the RB300) & needle, a stable base, record cleaner, and know that not all vinyl recordings turn out great. But the enjoyment you can get from them is fantastic.

Enjoy the music.

Jun 26, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 24
I believe the Music Hall 2.1 sells for $300 new, including both tonearm and a cartridge.

Jun 26, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 24
Is the Rega P3 the best for the money in mid-fi analog?

My Mom actually does have a record collection but the only record we have that's worth mentioning is an original Dark Side of the Moon. I don't think it's any Beatles' White Album or anything as far as worth goes but between that and the Who albums I got, I could almost say those would make it worth it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back