Never Did Like the nano Fatty
Sep 10, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #17 of 40
Checked the Australian prices for the new nanos:

8GB - $190-ish AUD
16GB - $279 AUD

As usual, we get charged through the fuc$%* roof! Keep in mind 1AUD = approx 0.8USD atm.

Anyone in the US kind enough to send me a 16GB?
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 40
Mostly breaks down to the two basic marketing groups: the Conservatives and the Progressives. The Conservatives don't like jarring change - need to see the new product for a while before warming up to it. The Progressives are extremely quick to say,"I love it!" if it strikes their fancy and appeals to their predilection for interesting and radical change.

I will find it interesting to see if 4G nanos will eclipse 3G popularity given that it's essentially a return to previous form.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 40
I like the design of the new Nano, but as I just bought a 3G Nano last year, the new form factor isn't enough to get me to buy a new one yet. Doubt that I would ever use the Genius or shake to shuffle features.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #23 of 40
I don't own the fatty, but if I did I'd be pissed they changed the design back after one year.

It's almost a slap in the face.......

"here's what we intended it to look like, while we were off engineering it we sold you a 2nd class design."

I like the fatty, I also like the nano. They should just have given it new name since the fatty truly resembles the "nano" name.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #24 of 40
Another nice feature, it can read the menus, song titles and artists meant for the visually impaired. It would also be nice for driving so you don't have to stare at the little screen.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #25 of 40
is it just me, or did apple rip off the zune's form AND now playing screen?

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 40
I seriously wish they would have upped the 3g capacity to 16gb.

The new nano is a throwback to the ipod mini, which is not a good thing.

Round = lose, imo. I can't strap an amp to it without it rolling around on top of it, especially my 2move.

I think the new form factor adds unnecessary bulk to the player. The 3g seems much smaller. I guess I'll have to wait until I can hold it myself.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it just me, or did apple rip off the zune's form AND now playing screen?

it really is the other way around: this is a return to the old format but with a bigger screen. it is not the first ipod to have a vertical screen: touch and phone.

the zune came out and it is quite a generic mp3 player even with a squircle so that it would not copy apple's circle.

i think that you can look back at the copy and say of the new ipod that is a throwback to old apple ipods and say 'apple copied zune' or you could say, well micosoft copied the ipod and then the ipod went back to its old form factor and now looks a bit like the copy: zune.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #29 of 40
I meant that the Now playing screen was quite like the Zune's, with the huge album artwork and all. Not a copy per se, but quite similar. I am not complaining, but just stating an observation. I like album artwork, so i think it is a good move. The Nano also makes more use of available real estate around the screen, so in that sense it is an improvement over the Zune (or Sansa, or any player with a "vertical" screen really).

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #30 of 40
I'm pretty torn. Right after the 3G nano came out, I didn't like its fat shape and purchased an 8GB 2G because it's easier to carry while exercising. I downloaded iTunes 8 this morning for my PC and played with Genius for a while and love it. Creating playlists manually sucks. Now that the 4G is out, I think it want it because of the bigger screen and Genius. But it's hard to justify spending $200 just for Genius and video. I hardly ever watch video on my 5G 30GB. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for a refurb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back