Neutron Music Player on Android
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

torchwood1203

Head-Fier
Anyone here use this app pn Android? I'm wondering how it sounds comparing to other player like poweramp and such ,it also says it has crossfeed , how's thhe crossfeed on this app comparing to crossfeed on an amp

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 12
I have both Neutron and PowerAmp. Neutron sounds better to my ears. The gapless playback on Neutron is perfect, but not on PowerAmp. The EQ is easier to tweak, as it has less bands. But there are no presets so far. I use crossfeed, but I don't change the default settings. I have no idea how it compares to an amp, or to Rockbox or other software programs. There are less tweakable settings for crossfeed than Rockbox or Foobar2000 plugins, but I don't know if it matters.

On the other hand, PowerAmp has more features and a more standard UI. And v. 2.0 is just around the corner - a beta is out. It looks very good.

Neutron is still fresh, and has a lot more features planned, including UI improvements. It can't compare with PowerAmp yet in good looks and number of features. But at least the development has started in the right end, by concentrating on audio playback quality first. For me that is the most important. So I currently use only Neutron.

The Neutron forum is a lot less crowded than the Poweramp forum, and it seems like the developer of Neutron is very responsive to feature requests and ideas. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 12
I have to agree that Neutron sounds noticeably better than any other Android app on my Nexus S with voodoo hack. I previously used poweramp but this is sufficiently better for me to ditch poweramp and put up with the inferior interface of neutron. Hopefully this will be improved in time as the developer seems very responsive.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 12
I will be installing Neutron on my Atrix soon and will post impressions with my Reshelled TF10 and UERMs

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 12
I have been using neutron for quite some time now and te audio quality is significantly better than any other android mp out there. Crap UI thoug.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Neutron sounds better to my discerning ears than any other music player app that I've tried on Adroid as of yet.  I even use EQ app layered with Neutron...sounds great.  The Neutron developer is really very quick to respond to requests and concerns. I mentioned to him in an e-mail that Balance control would be nice and he said he would add it in the next upgrade...and he did. The sound is just more revealing than other player apps....at least to me anyway. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah, I've been using Neutron for months and it's just getting better and better. The developer is really responsive, updates the app frequently and whenever I report a bug or give a suggestion for a new feature, he deals with the issues quickly and almost always implements the suggested features or promises to atleast try when he has the time. Also, a simple A/Bing of Neutron with the other available players was enough to convince me it was the best - not just the about features like the balance control, the gapless playback, the awesome cue sheet support but also the sq - Neutron just gives me the best instrumental separation and smooth overall sound without even having to EQ.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 12
I just looked at it on the market, and it says only 4-band EQ? That's a fail, IMO. I may try the trial version though.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 12
I did not care for the four band EQ in Neutron, but other than that it did sound good and had a decent UI...no Android application is 100% in that department in my opinion.  What ultimately killed Neutron for me, and I really wanted to like it, was that it did not handle loud volume very well.  For my car, I only have an audio in jack, so I need a lot of clean volume from a player to have a decent experience in the car.  My Sanza Clip could output plenty of power, but with my Samsung Galaxy Player I had a hard time getting the same levels of clean volume.  So far the only application that can put out enough juice and has provided an overall acceptable experiences is PowerAmp.  Neutron is a good app, but it didn't fit my needs.  I suggest anyone interested in getting a good Android app/player to download and A-B test PowerAmp and Neutron, they cost about the same and have similar trial periods.  Before making a decision also try out RockBox for Android.  It is close to Neutron in terms of playback quality but far less polished than Neutron and PowerAmp.  RockBox is free, so that offsets some of its defects.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I did not care for the four band EQ in Neutron, but other than that it did sound good and had a decent UI...no Android application is 100% in that department in my opinion.  What ultimately killed Neutron for me, and I really wanted to like it, was that it did not handle loud volume very well.  For my car, I only have an audio in jack, so I need a lot of clean volume from a player to have a decent experience in the car.  My Sanza Clip could output plenty of power, but with my Samsung Galaxy Player I had a hard time getting the same levels of clean volume.  So far the only application that can put out enough juice and has provided an overall acceptable experiences is PowerAmp.  Neutron is a good app, but it didn't fit my needs.  I suggest anyone interested in getting a good Android app/player to download and A-B test PowerAmp and Neutron, they cost about the same and have similar trial periods.  Before making a decision also try out RockBox for Android.  It is close to Neutron in terms of playback quality but far less polished than Neutron and PowerAmp.  RockBox is free, so that offsets some of its defects.

I sort of had that same problem with low volume, but in my car I added a line-driver....(Phoenix Gold line driver), then ran the signal from my phone to the Line Driver then to the stereo.....Worked out perfectly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back